Sign in to follow this  
cardudenc

Another Newbie in Myrtle Beach, SC

Just ordered my 1st cutter. been tossing around the idea just so I could do my own decals for my jeep biz. after renting a building and having issues with people getting back with me to do my sign, decided now was the time.

I figure I maybe a pretty big project for a newb. I have a 3'x12' backlit sign to do. will have to buy new acrylic since the guy who installed the orig sign skimped and I have 2 pieces in it now.

so any and all advice will be appreciated. I plan to play around with the cutter awhile b4 tackling this sign

edited the sign size. that's what u get typing at 2am. lol

can't comment on the plex panels - that is your call, I like the look of 1 best.  do your research on translucent vinyl for the back lit sign as it is different than regular vinyl to allow the colors to show thru at night when  . . . back lit

Welcome from Michigan

Welcome aboard,

Cal

Greetings!

My suggestion for a piece that big is not to use acrylic, but rather LEXAN.

Call Grimco to order it cut to your specification.

Welcome to the forum. If you're a Jeep guy you must not be all bad!  I've owned quite a few over the years. (none currently) What cutter did you end up going with? You are right on track doing some experimenting before the big build. These cutters are so much fun it's not really accurate to categorize them as work. 

I didn't want  to jump in too far until I get this figured out. I'm also moving my jeep shop to the area. I used to just build trailer queens, crawlers that weren't street legal had to be hauled to the trail. after my mom passed I had to make this hobby my job. so now I build whatever kind of jeep the customer wants. if its just bumpers or whatever.

I called in to us cutter thinking about buying the laser point seeing it was the upper in their beginner cutters. I was trying to stay around 1k.  the sales person told me I should start with the mh series. I kept researching until I felt like I made my self even dumber about this. I kept looking for a starter bundle that included a heat press ( thought I may do a few shirts for the 4wd club) but also needed a cutter to this 3ft sign. saw a 50" lp. only a cutter. I really wanted to start with a titan, but a 50" isn't offered. I found a bundle with 53" sc model . a heat press wasn't included. now after reading some on them I guess I'm better off , I think I'm better off buying a better quality press. so that's what will be here either tom. or mon. then I guess new stickers for the jeeps. lol

Hello and Welcome.

I didn't want  to jump in too far until I get this figured out. I'm also moving my jeep shop to the area. I used to just build trailer queens, crawlers that weren't street legal had to be hauled to the trail. after my mom passed I had to make this hobby my job. so now I build whatever kind of jeep the customer wants. if its just bumpers or whatever.

I called in to us cutter thinking about buying the laser point seeing it was the upper in their beginner cutters. I was trying to stay around 1k.  the sales person told me I should start with the mh series. I kept researching until I felt like I made my self even dumber about this. I kept looking for a starter bundle that included a heat press ( thought I may do a few shirts for the 4wd club) but also needed a cutter to this 3ft sign. saw a 50" lp. only a cutter. I really wanted to start with a titan, but a 50" isn't offered. I found a bundle with 53" sc model . a heat press wasn't included. now after reading some on them I guess I'm better off , I think I'm better off buying a better quality press. so that's what will be here either tom. or mon. then I guess new stickers for the jeeps. lol

they have the titan3 54" on sale right now for 999.95 because of a mix up - it only has rollers every 15" so you would need to use 15", 30" or 45" spacing between the rollers - so if using a 48" roll you would only really be able to accurately cut 45" wide image - it that is something you can work with it is a steal.   steer clear of the mh - SC at the least and if you can work with the sale cutter the servo machines are way above the rest http://www.ebay.com/itm/162057826790?euid=6738c7b78e0545e7a23463210be3fff6&cp=1&exe=11473&ext=27979&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext

• Like 1

Sounds like you are thinking it through and not just jumping on the cheapest cutter available. Avoid the MH!  I got by with a cutter similar to the Laser point for a couple years. They are a little limited for some things but for basic tinkering they do ok. Really small or really big is where the budget cutters have trouble. Your big sign will be a challenge but there are some cutting tool options that will help you get it done when you get to that point. 

I didn't see that titan listed. being a newb, what can or cant I do with that machine? Is it worth me buying it or just wait and buy a lil more hi end cutter?

Ive started shopping for a beginner heat press. some recommend the swing arm, others like the clam, which is best? I see everyone says stay clear of the cheap Chinese brands. ive been skimming nd not sure what I have been looking at as far as that. range was under $300. I haven't set a budget on a press yet still "just looking"

what you guys think about this cutter? pros? cons?

uscutter/Copam 3050 42"

not sure whats up with my comp, wouldn't let me paste the link

hopefully sometime in the future will be looking into a printer/cutter combo. I just want to get my feet wet and learn what I can before dropping some big funds into this venture. I'm still dropping endless $$$ into the jeep biz. it only goes so far. lol

I used a copam for a year and was a good cutter - only thing with a copam is they are selling the exact same cutter as 15 years ago - with no changes or upgrades.  not a servo motor but it does have a finer stepper than a mh or sc

I found 1 that they say was used very little. on paper it looked like a deal. may just wait to buy something better in quality

I used a mh and p-cut to make the money for the copam - then used the copam to make the money for the graphtec . . . it can be a progression.  but looking back if I knew then what I know now and was sure I was going to keep doing it I would have started with any servo motor cutter.  at this point I will never be without a graphtec

• Like 1

the titan 3 that is on sale. what wouldn't I be able to do with that cutter?

the SC came in yest. expected it no later than sat. guess that's the way it usually goes. screws for the stand were missing and the software wouldn't load, I was too tired to do a whole lot, so I just put it in the corner for now.

I finally found time to dn load the software that came with it. vinyl master 4.0 any recommendations? upgrades? add ons? hopefully tom will have some time to play around with the program and maybe even turn on the cutter and  try and cut some vinyl

Welcome from near Hilton Head Island! Also a fellow Jeep guy. I have a Titan cant see my self starting lower than that. I wish I would have gotten the servo motor.

I'm just now hooking power to the cutter. when turned on the head that holds the cutter just bounces

so after some google searching, the carriage was off track. dam, looks like could find a way to secure it for shipping.

now it doesn't seem its moving the blade up or dn. of course I wouldn't plug this in until the weekend with no support available

over a month in now. played around with a few different things. made several simple txt decals, banners.  whew! I can see where 20 yrs from now still will have so much to learn. what a learning curve for someone who isn't comp. savvy. I more less an int surfer, with limited basic knowledge. can we say in deep! lol. atleast I love a challenge and learning , so will just keep diving deeper. I def learned tonight how much I didn't know as I keep working on our own sign