Sign in to follow this  
dcbevins

Internet TV

Mostly, TV via the internet has been a fail.  Recently I have been trying out this site:  http://pluto.tv/.  It is the best implementation I've seen thus far.  One step closer to cutting the cord.  Thought I'd tell you guys and gals.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info.  I would also like to cut the cord.  I really believe that Cox Communications is a terrible company to do business with - but they are the only game in town here unless you get a dish to hang on your house...

Cal

I cut the cord 4 years ago.  ABC, CBS, NBC, are still FREE just watch I  day later..And the shows will remain there for several weeks later to watch....You can watch on your time.... I have a ROKU streaming player, You own it. Has 1,000's of channels on it.  (PLUTO TV is 1 of those channels).  Plus  I have Netflix, streaming.  I keep a laptop dedicated to my 50" tv, next to it.HDMI connection....I have no shortage of tv to watch...I only pay the $7.99 for the Netflix.a month..Tons of those same tv shows, on other channels that you can't get,, are on youtube.com .. That is also a channel on the ROKU. You could also sign up for HULU.  That has shows of the tv channels, and movies.  I think that is $7.99.  I never needed it.   I don't watch live sports or such,  so it is fine to watch shows a day later.  And the Superbowl is FREE to stream live. 

• Like 1

What you all really need is a jail broken amazon firestick. Look it up on the big auction site. I haven't got one yet, but know someone personally who has and it is pretty good. Even has movies that are still in theatre, live TV and everything else inbetween.

What you all really need is a jail broken amazon firestick. Look it up on the big auction site. I haven't got one yet, but know someone personally who has and it is pretty good. Even has movies that are still in theatre, live TV and everything else inbetween.

I suggest you do a search and read the legalities on those jailbroken Firesticks,with that KODI media player  installed.   I just did, These sellers are adding plugins... Kodi is even after those sellers doing the piracy.   So if you get in trouble,,  Is that seller on Ebay going to pay your bills and get your internet turned back on for you? 

https://torrentfreak.com/kodi-announces-legal-action-to-smash-piracy-links-160215/

Amazon is even banning anything with that Kodi media player. 

https://torrentfreak.com/amazon-bans-kodi-app-over-piracy-concerns-150616/

It isn't that pluto.tv has the best content.  It is the format I like.  It is much like a cable box.  You can turn channels.  I have a roku, a netgear google tv box, and two chromecasts.  I don't use netflix, but my daughters do on the google tv box.  I have a Amazon Prime account for the year, but really don't find much there interesting.  On the roku, it is a PITA to back out of a channel and into another.   On a cable box, a commercial comes on, you turn channels.  Your internal timer tells you about when the commercial is done and you turn it back.  On a roku, its takes channels time to load.  Switching channels to avoid a commercial might not work as sometimes the commercial will just wait for you to get back.  The channels aren't "live."  On pluto.tv they are live.  It has nice dvr like abilities built in.  

More and more unskippable video ads are being pushed on Internet Video viewers.  The pluto.tv format at least lets you turn the channel when an ad comes on, like an old fashion tv.