Wildgoose

Thanks for the Transfers tip

Just a shout out to those who recommended trying out screen printed transfers. I have a 1500 +/- piece shirt order that I asked my vinyl loving client if he would consider screened. Save him a boatload as you can imagine and he turned around and spent the savings on other products like some hats and Nike polo's. 

I ended up using F&M Expressions and doing a full front and back for him that I would not have wanted to do in vinyl. I ran about 70 shirts last night as a trial run and was getting around 40 to 45 shirts per hour. That's some might fine production. Hopefully it holds up decent for him but they are give away shirts he hands out to construction guys that visit his store(s). I am pretty impressed with the product I have to admit. Preheat then 7 second press and a hot peel makes for some easy fast work. I'm ending up making more money with less effort going this route and will probably lean this direction on more jobs in the future depending on the circumstances. Conservative estimate with shirt mark-up is I'm making about 140/hr for the next 36 hours. Hard to complain about them apples. 

• Like 6

big enough orders it is the only way to fly - love doing them and the labor is way way less- I have a long term foster parent group I do work for and have mom and dad shirt - transfers ready to go any time the decide what sizes they need.  you will be hooked now! 

• Like 1

I'm dying to try this.

what do you guys use at the 'breakpoint' for using them over vinyl, i.e. 14 shirts its vinyl but 15 is pre-made screen print?

13 hours ago, andygeekboy said:

I'm dying to try this.

what do you guys use at the 'breakpoint' for using them over vinyl, i.e. 14 shirts its vinyl but 15 is pre-made screen print?

Somewhere around 25. I typically price them out both ways and often choose the screened version if I am busy enough that I can be building other jobs while waiting on the screen printed transfers. This has helped me multiply myself and do more volume. It also makes a difference on how much coverage area you have to do such as a full front vs a small LC logo. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, andygeekboy said:

Thanks WG, what about design intricacy, does that play a role too?

Yep. Really technical (hard to weed stuff) is also nice to do as screened.

• Like 1