Sign in to follow this  
slice&dice

Blatant brand logo infringement

This story just popped up on my newsfeed, and since we often have discussions here about trademark infringement (and what constitutes that) ---  I thought this story would be interesting to post.

http://mashable.com/2016/04/29/uncle-martian-under-armour/#ZL2Z_1uyouqt

Long story short, a graphic logo being used by Chinese shoe manufacturer is strikingly (on purpose) similar to another famous trademark.

unclemartian.jpg

I'm not sure that the logo actually constitutes infringement. While large brands like under armor will be more inclined to get litigious, I think this may be far enough apart. If you try to enforce this you are basically going after a concept. Its a mirrored U that doesn't cross and has an inward curve at the apex+ Has the laurels.

Its close, but reminds me of the "Eat more kale" lawsuit that CFA tried to say was analogous to "Eat more chick'n".

does it pass the standard of - Does it remind you or make you think of the other brand?

does it pass the standard of - Does it remind you or make you think of the other brand?

It was done with exactly that intent.

By the way, the naming reference is to a 1960's TV show starring Ray Walston and Bill Bixby.

I gotta tell you, the Chinese are bizarre with the way they come up with this stuff.

I think the mark would cause confusion in the marketplace. If it was a US based company instead of a Chinese based company, then Under Armour would be taking them to court in a heartbeat. I'm surprised that the Chinese company doesn't just make fake Under Armour shoes and sell counterfeits.

I think they just say screw you come over here and sue me. Like Robert Conrad used to put the everyday battery up on his shoulder.

• Like 1