jderry1978

how to cut vinyl allowing for curve of yeti tumblers

I am cutting names to put around yeti tumblers and was wondering if I should/how to allow for the curve of the tumblers, that way the names stay level or get distorted. not sure if I should put here or in flexi section.

if it needs to be moved I will be happy to delete and repost.

thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I just cut my logo at 4" to do my cups. Granted my logo is also a circle which will make a difference. Top picture is my personal cup...wrapped to match my truck  ;D...and the bottom pic is my new social media giveaway items a friend of mine is making. Those were 4" logos I provided and he painted finished the cups for me.

post-84967-0-87598600-1461789510_thumb.j

post-84967-0-77005000-1461789520_thumb.j

• Like 1

For glasses that have a consistent angle they are actually a truncated cone and there are equations to figure out the surface shape. Attached is a spreadsheet I use to get the measurements of a template. I then divide the template into 4 sections and try to keep the design within one section. When you look at a glass, you are really only seeing about a 1/4 of it,maybe a 1/3 so if your design is bigger than that you have to rotate the glass to be able to see the entire image and can start to look unprofessional.

There are also some web pages out there that will create the template for you, you just plug in the info. I never had much luck with them, and prefer doing my own templates anyway.

Once you get the curve you then distort your image along the curve. I use Inkscape so I don't know how to do that in Flexi but someone should be able to chime in. *note, simply putting the text on the curve will not give you a true image reproduction, but will look pretty good in most cases and will at least make the text look straight.

Inverted Truncated Cone.zip

• Like 1

Thank you darcshadow!!!  I wanted the math and not just another rabbit to chase with each thing.  Math is not my strong suit... even this confuses me a little, but I am going to mess with it and figure it out. :-)

To tell the truth I just take a piece of paper and wrap it and then trace a line with a pencil then scan it and use that as a reference to do my build. When I get my project to where I am thinking it's ready I print it out on paper first and trim around it so it's roughly the same size as the app tape will be and hold it on there to see if it's close enough or needs a final tweak. Fast and simple

I do all my yeti and yeti style cups at 3.5 no matter the oz of the cup. It's mainly Initials that I do.