MetalHeadGraphix

Inconsistent cutting depth/deep roller lines

So I'm trying to do a job for a guy, and when I cut say 10 decals, the inner and outer ones don't cut deep enough and the center ones cut fine. I've also lightened on the pressure on my rollers but they seem to make very deep tracks in the vinyl. If I loosen them any more I'm afraid they will stop pulling the vinyl correctly. I keep having to start over and I'm wasting a lot of vinyl. 

those roller marks do not hurt a thing.  They go away when you apply the decal...When you start messing with the pinch rollers, you can just create more problems for yourself... 

Make sure your blade is set correctly... this is how. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

• Like 1

I think the blade is set just fine, if I cut a row of 3 decals, the center one will weed perfectly, but the inner and outer decals won't be deep enough and I can't weed them. If it was a blade issue why wouldn't I have the same issue across the whole piece of vinyl? 

more people have wasted more vinyl messing with the pressure of the rollers than about anything else other than improper blade depth - the marks are normal like skeeter said and go away.  even in your other thread you never stated which cutter you was using either - different cutters have different quirks.

You have loosened the pinch rollers up,  Aren't they on the edge of the vinyl? Outside edges?  put them back to where they were and try again...

I re-tightened the pinch rollers. I'm getting different depths not only across the area of the vinyl but also within the decal in itself. One corner will weed perfectly and the other side won't be cut deep enough to weed at all. This is a brand new MH 721 MK2 with a brand new blade. My old Vinyl Express R31 didn't even do this. I have messed with the blade depth, pressures, settings etc for days now and it's one consistent problem after another. I was going to use this to start up my decal business again from home but apparently this cutter isn't up to the task. I'm not a stranger to this I did decals for 3 years with a Vinyl Express R31 and it never had different depths of cuts within the same decal from one side to the other. I can increase the pressure and it makes it the opposite, it makes it even harder to weed, then I lighten the pressure and it cuts deeper. It's just ridiculous.

Have you made sure the white rollers of the carriage head are down firmly in the track..Make sure nothing in the track..Blade holder is firmly down in carriage..  Blade holder is free of any debris on the inside.....  Cutting strip free of gouges and scratches.

Is the blade holder being held straight? My MH the holder arm had a problem and would not hold the blade holder straight up and down. Wouldn't think it would cause the problems you're seeing, but worth looking at.

Can you diagnose if it's happening in a certain place on the cutting strip? If it cuts fine in the middle like you say what does it do when you cut something smaller that is only over in the area that was having a problem with the wider job? Do you have to adjust pressure to cut there etc... maybe it IS the strip being uneven or something like that. I like the carriage possibly loose idea too as a possibility. We see a lot more problems with the MH cutters than any other cutter. (By WE I mean here on the forum) 

The carriage is firmly on its track. The cutting strip doesn't look to be uneven. The blade holder does seem to hold the blade at barely barely barely an angle. I'm going to try and cut a simple decal that's smaller all the way across the vinyl (in a long line) and see if there is the same weird pressure issues.

I cut a series of 3" decals across the vinyl and I get the same thing. First one will weed but you can tell it didn't cut deep enough, the last one doesn't weed worth a crap at all which means I'm getting inconsistent pressure at the beginning and end of the carriage. Middle 5 were all perfect.

I'll be the third one to suggest a call to support while they are open - then let us know what you find out that fixes it so others can search and learn too

• Like 2

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.