Sign in to follow this  
decalsdirect954

How was your first year of running your sign business?

So I decided to start my decal business 9 months ago and spent around $600 in total for everything I have ever bought for my business. My total sales only add up to $1200 and I got $400 stolen from me, so about $200 in profit( it would be $600 if my money wasn't stolen) . By the way I am only 15 and didn't have money to advertise when I started (and still to this day haven't paid for a single advertisement). I have not gotten a single dollar for this business by my parents. About 95% of my sales are from Instagram which is Free. I am thinking of taking down this business because the profits are  pretty low for me and to buy a large format printer is WAY to expensive for me. I am unable to sell on ebay, everyone in my families account is banned because my brothers friend decided to sell fake shoes using my brothers account. Basically what I wanted to ask was how your first year of running your business was? Have you seen any difference since the first year?

I am sorry to hear that you got ripped off.  I hate thieves...  BUT aren't you stealing from Harley and Fox Racing and a few others?   Your selling fake decals,,   fake decals or fake shoes, It's all the same. 

• Like 6

Did ya look? 

I liked the company logo on the same sheet as the HD and FOX - no way to wiggle your way out of that one as hard as they are on people 

I liked the company logo on the same sheet as the HD - no way to wiggle your way out of that one as hard as they are on people 

Yep... " grasshopper" has some learning to do....the legal end....

I'll gladly give you some advice because you seem discouraged.

1: Stop selling copyrighted stuff, as you risk getting cut down at the knees.

2: See if you know anyone who knows anyone who owns a business and will vouch for you to do simple work. Nepotism/cronyism work.

3: In your travels or walking around look for sh*tty looking decals / signs. Offer your services to these people. Most won't give a damn as that is the cause of them being crappy in the first place. Some might give you business.

You need to move beyond instagram and stealing other peoples art.

Decals are a low cost, high labor gig. You've got time. 

Thank you guys for your feedback, i will Definitely stop taking peoples artwork! Also, would using artwork from vecteezy.com when I have a subscription be considered copyright? I pay for the service but not that you are telling me this i may have to reconsider using the artwork from there  :wacko:

Thank you guys for your feedback, i will Definitely stop taking peoples artwork! Also, would using artwork from vecteezy.com when I have a subscription be considered copyright? I pay for the service but not that you are telling me this i may have to reconsider using the artwork from there  :wacko:

Read their license and see what you can use legally....You sound like a hard working person,, keep that going for yourself...Just do it legally.. Good luck. 

and on Harley and Fox - like Monster they will body slam you with  legal action without hesitation - some companies do - some don't  - my first C&D was from Chrysler on using the word HEMI and the rams head in different applications. - it's a wake up call when the letter comes from the Atty for the company - Harley even has third parties that troll events and the web looking for this stuff and probably makes their money from percentage of settlements

• Like 3

I wouldn't give up just yet. I WOULD follow the previous advice and stop trying to sell trademarked logo's. I have been going a little over 5 years as a part time (evenings and weekends) type business. I don't advertise and can't keep up with all the work. I would follow those pointers from command and find some sort of edge to give you a little immediate boost in business. I would also say if you can save up and buy a heat press (even super low budget in your case) and start doing some HTV vinyl shirts you can make a LOT of money. 

• Like 2

You have a natural edge in some situations because a lot of people appreciate a young man who is motivated and trying to get his own thing going and may give you some work just because of that alone. Make sure you keep yourself clean cut, presentable and courteous. You don't have to look like a geek or anything (not that that is bad if you do) but if you look like a skuzzball sour sales will only come from skuzzballs. Practice personal approaches as far as sales pitch scenarios. (Role play with family) I specialize in the non-sales pitch. The "hey I see your sign looks a little ragged. You know, I actually do a little of that on the side. Would you like an estimate for some new vinyl?" 

• Like 2

I wouldn't give up just yet. I WOULD follow the previous advice and stop trying to sell trademarked logo's. I have been going a little over 5 years as a part time (evenings and weekends) type business. I don't advertise and can't keep up with all the work. I would follow those pointers from command and find some sort of edge to give you a little immediate boost in business. I would also say if you can save up and buy a heat press (even super low budget in your case) and start doing some HTV vinyl shirts you can make a LOT of money. 

Im defintely going to look into that, the one thing that worries me is how much competition there is for custom t-shirts  :huh:

Im defintely going to look into that, the one thing that worries me is how much competition there is for custom t-shirts  :huh:

I didn't mean to get into the tshirt business.  I just wanted to do some signs and banners.... on a small scale.  Part time..... didn't really need the money, I just wanted something to do in my spare time........ I do mostly shirts!  You will be surprised how many people want custom shirts?!?!  

I do shirts for ..... family outings, vacations and reunions..... school class reunions and clubs, bar/restaurants, funny sayings, church functions and most of all Parent shirts for youth sports!  Moms eat that up.... a shirt with their kids name and number on them!

You will be surprised how (once the word gets out) many shirts you will be doing.  Heck, your still in school.... High school yet?  You could talk to the school.... do the band shirts, football jerseys and helmets, volleyball, cheer, softball baseball.... the list just goes on.  Plus, with a heat press you can even do bows!  That's right, cheer bows.... (I have done my share..... not on purpouse but when work falls in your lap....hey)  

Be patient, always have a few business cards handy and never miss an opportunity to let people know what you do.  I am not a good salesman so i am usually subtle..... I drop off samples.....

1 or 2 key contacts can change the game!  I got lucky and my first customer was like hitting the lottery!

• Like 2

I too started thinking I would do property for sale signs....NOT. No money there at all. Cut throat business unless you know someone personally. I do 97% apparel. 

Think of it this way. How may decals have you bought over the last 5 years? How many shirts? See where this leads. Decals are a luxury item that are cool and lots of people want them and there are definitely a lot of them out there especially on the back windows of cars. Shirts are a necessity item that everyone needs and buys one way or the other so the market is ripe. Custom tee's are way better (done right) than something they buy at walmart that everyone else wears. I gave out a lot of free stuff at first. I still do a lot of free or nearly free work for certain groups and it pays me back 10 fold. 

• Like 3