busterbay

Reading a Ruler

How often does this happen ?

Communication / feedback / review:   "It's a nice product but it's much smaller than I had expected.... "

Example from an ad  Decal Dimensions: 13 inches wide  x 7 inches tall

What part of 13 inches or 7 inches would make someone think that it should be bigger :huh:??

It should be a requirement that you have to pass a test confirming that you can read a ruler before you get a cellphone, computer, tablet or ANY device that will allow you to make a purchase on the web

OK back off the soap box

I have seen that myself on feedback..Those people I used to block, when you could see their user names. .   I just got a question yesterday,  If my sizes were cm or inches?   They were clearly written inches...LOL  

You would be surprised how many people can not read a ruler...   If it's not digital, they are clueless. 

• Like 1

I had one, discussing a transom window, I said 'measure it', she ask, how do you do that?

I had someone place a very large order last week ( over $500 ).... yesterday I get an email " You must have sent the wrong size these look MUCH bigger than they should".... I sent a screenshot of the dimensions from my cutting program and asked them to please measure the decals...

Response "Oh sorry you are right I ordered the wrong size, I guess I would like to return them"....

AND  your answer to that return was?...........

Sorry no returns, I did give them a discount on the corrected size.

That's right up there with not being able to tell time on watch without numerals on it. I had a friend would help me do concrete work and couldn't read a tape measure. Me: Hey cut me a board 8 foot 3/16" long, Him: How many marks is that past the big number?

• Like 4

I agree 100 percent on size but have seen several people post pictures of mock ups on their sites that show a decal on a wall that makes it look much bigger than described

• Like 1

Interviewed a high school senior who was taking

"Graphic Arts" classes.  Nice girl, before she left, I handed her

a ruler and asked her to show me the 1/4" & 1/8"........

you guessed it...she couldn't!

NOW, just how do you even start a graphic without knowing

its size & proportions? ? ? ?

Sue2

• Like 3

My wife struggles with this. I bought her a tape that actually says 1/4 and 1/8 in there. Ha ha! 

I work my day job in the earth moving and roadwork industry and we use feet and 10ths of feet (engineer's rule) and then occasionally we have done federal work and they sometimes require metrics which is always a blast to try and re-train all our help. We just come up with metric to engineers conversions and stick with what we know or disasters would happen so the guys work in feet and tenths and the foremen talk to the state in centimeters. They have started backing off that now, I think they had some major problems on someones job and figured out they're not going to convert the US construction industry to metric any time soon, at least not in Idaho. We still pack pistols. 

"I also want this nice color on my monitor........ yep...... Oh... why doesn't it look like that?"

Here's a free site for someone needing to learn how to read a tape measure (Imperial Measurement): https://quizlet.com/5897930/reading-a-tape-measure-flash-cards/ No need to be shy any longer that one doesn't know...You weren't born knowing how to do it. Learn at your own pace and practice until you've nailed it. You can learn by flashcards and test your progress (Under STUDY and PLAY).

Here's one to memorize the fractions and their decimal equivalents on a typical ruler: https://quizlet.com/24526928/reading-a-tape-measure-flash-cards/ (useful - screenshot attached).

There is a VAST amount of other things you can learn too. Kids can learn their math flashcards too or pretty much anything that needs memorization. Great site. (Type in a search term to bring up all kinds of results. In this case, type in TAPE MEASURE and go nuts).

post-96816-0-78994200-1461460397_thumb.j

In high school I worked for a local contractor and after the first week he gave me a small raise because I could read and understand a tape measure better than most all high school kids he had hired in the past. He made a comment to my Mom how impressed he was with my ability to measure and do basic math on the spot. So sad.

It's all just memorization and practice. I wouldn't call it SAD that people don't know how to do something - there was a time that you didn't know either, nor I for that matter. I tell you what's SAD though is the attitude of some of you people with your superiority complex over this!

Schools these days don't spend a lot of time training on how to read an imperial tape measure as a youth, especially in Canada and European countries who use metric as their primary measurement. I think it comes down to the fact that there is a LOT of things we don't know how to do. I personally respect someone who is willing to learn and can demonstrate satisfactory results that they can and have learned how to do something when shown or given a learning aid (in this case I provided a free and functional flashcard website in my post #15). Instead of berating someone and making them feel inferior or stupid, I'd encourage them to learn via that website at their own pace or outright personally teach them. The ball is ultimately in their court though...

If I was to hire someone, one of their conditions of immediate employment would be that they could read a tape measure and demonstrate proficiency - this seems like a fair skill request. If they couldn't I would tell them that their employment with my organization is contingent on learning to read a tape measure via that website (on their own time) before they'd be allowed on board. I'd give them a week to practice using that site and then ask them to demonstrate to me what they've learned in a live test. If they scored 100% then the issue would be put to bed and I'd give that person a pat on the back for they'd have earned my respect for their success. A score of anything less, I'd make a determination on their suitability going forward and encourage them to keep practicing, everyday until it's second nature.

Imperial vs metric is not the point. If you can't read 1/16 on a tape measure, you'd have the same problem reading 1/10 on a metric tape measure. It's not the not knowing how, that is the problem, it's the not being able to figure it out. If you can't figure out that the big line in the middle of the two numbers is the 1/2 mark or the slightly smaller line in between the 1/2 and the number is the 1/4 mark, than that is sad. Has nothing to do with being taught how to read a tape measure, it's basic 3rd grade math.

That's not true at all and you know it! Reading millimeters on a tape measure that has these measurements IS much easier since there are only 10 in a centimeter and 100 cm in a meter (1000 mm). It's natural for people to learn their counting progressions from 1-10, 1-100 and even up to 1000. When looking at a ruler or tape measure, people often use the metric system for this reason. Doing the mental adjustments of converting fractions to lowest common denominator is where people often struggle reading an imperial ruler. It's that simple...

Why don't you do something positive and teach those who are struggling instead of complaining? Otherwise you just look stupid AND ignorant.

Chaos I think maybe you miss the therapeutic relief of having a good rant. If we don't let it out somewhere safe it WILL come out at some poor sap who we are actually trying to impress with poor end results. The group here is what I personally consider a safe place with like minded people (or at least in the same line of work/hobby so they get it). No better place to blow some steam. You can only change yourself and a very little piece of your immediate area so trying to haul every customer over to the proverbial corner and teach them to read a ruler is not effective, or rational really. 

• Like 1

Chaos I think maybe you miss the therapeutic relief of having a good rant. If we don't let it out somewhere safe it WILL come out at some poor sap who we are actually trying to impress with poor end results. The group here is what I personally consider a safe place with like minded people (or at least in the same line of work/hobby so they get it). No better place to blow some steam. You can only change yourself and a very little piece of your immediate area so trying to haul every customer over to the proverbial corner and teach them to read a ruler is not effective, or rational really. 

You know, that may be the case but I still think it's not very productive to do so on a SUPPORT (help) FORUM where I know very well that many users on here can not read a ruler or a tape measure. It simply causes those who are struggling with that to be embarrassed unnecessarily. I thought people on here were supposed to be role models and teachers?

I think it just shows POOR FORM by those who are publicly venting on this, especially when they are the ones serving a teaching role in 98% of their other threads on here that's all. Think of any one thing that you can not do "perfectly", if someone on here called you out as SAD for not knowing how to do it, how would you feel?

I think I've said my piece on this and offered those who are struggling, a path for enrichment. Enjoy slamming those who have problems...shows a lot of self-character.

I'm out...

I think the thread took a left turn with the stupid and ignorant comment - everyone needs to remain civil

• Like 1

I guess I missed something. I didn't get the impression there were a bunch of folks on the forum who couldn't read a tape. 

I guess I missed something. I didn't get the impression there were a bunch of folks on the forum who couldn't read a tape. 

Customers is where I was going with this, I'm not sure how it took 5 left turns.

• Like 1

Customers is where I was going with this, I'm not sure how it took 5 left turns.

That's the way I took it. It's kind of disrespectful to tell your customer that he needs to learn to read a ruler even if it's true.

Scenario:

Customer - "Hey this graphic is way smaller than I though it would be." Your reply - "Here is a website that will help you read a ruler. There is no shame in admitting that you don't know how. I will respect you for trying to learn."