1rogerl2

New to cutting vinyl

Any help on getting started with equipment to cut Avery yellow mask stencils for Cerakoting firearms? I'm looking at MH and SC equipment but Us Cutter Sales recommended much more expensive Titan 2....not a lot of job starting out so just need something that will cut camo, skulls, Kryptech, and so on..

Thanks in advance

buy the best that you can afford, and stay away from the MH cutters,  my 2c...  You really do get what you pay for. And if your doing small text, a servo cutter is the best for fine detail and text.  Big difference between servo and stepper motors. as far as accuracy. 

• Like 3

Ive been using a SC for quite a few years now. Took some tuning to get what I wanted out of it but it has paid for itself over and over. Im working on getting a graphtec now that I have all my screen printing equipment. But the sc has done everything Ive asked of it. I do many 2.5" wide us flags with perfect stars so cutting small is not a problem. Just have to fine tune the settings to what you need. Im sure the graphtec will be much better but the SC has served me well especially for what it cost

• Like 1

Before the Summa with my stepper cutter I used to cut half a dozen small graphics and usually one or two would turn out ok. As stated by Monkey it CAN be done on a stepper it's just less fun and more dialing in. The servo motors definitely help. I also have found that for super tiny stuff I really like Gerber 225 film. It's pricey and only locally available in 24 or wider but you can over pressure it a little without getting into the carrier because the carrier is clear liner rather than coated paper. Makes small weeding a real breeze. This is still taking into account the servo's cutting precision as well so results may vary.  

The lower cost equipment does not do well on small details.

These are with a "lower cost" SC. Not a graphtec but Id say pretty good with small details. And those stars were before fine tuning

20130114_150810_zpsb8f4d86d.jpg

20141028_153142_zps9741ecca.jpg

• Like 1

Oh yeah, did forget to mention i use 60* Clean-Cut blades always. I kinda consider that part of fine tuning

• Like 1

Wow, those stars are really nice. Thanks for all the info. I don't plan on more than just cutting stencils for cerakoting / duracoting firearms so I'm thinking a 15" machine should be good. I'll probably take all this solid advice and go up one size on the width.

The SC is fine, but NOISY!!!! If I was gonna spend the money on the T2, I'd spend a few extra coins and get the T3 (tefurbs aren't much more than a new T2).

OK,found a deal locally and hopefully buying a NIB Graphtec CE63000-40 for $800. It's a print shop selling it, and I'm a little concerned about it being NIB. Any ways I can be positive that it is?

Thanks

OK,found a deal locally and hopefully buying a NIB Graphtec CE63000-40 for $800. It's a print shop selling it, and I'm a little concerned about it being NIB. Any ways I can be positive that it is? Thanks

so we are assuming it is a ce3000-40 and not a ce-6000-40 - they never made a 63000

Just an update on this cutter I bought back in April 2016. I have ben using this thing like mad as my stencil business is building on eBay, and locally. This CE6000-40 hasn't missed a beat. 

I'm now looking at expanding with a Roland CAMM-1 PRO CM-400. I don't know how old it is, but from researching it, it must be pretty old as the connections are not USB, and the Drivers are Win95-98-NT. Anyone know how old it might be?

Thanks again for everyone's great advise.