Sign in to follow this  
bbekbekk

Dumb Questions on Image Usage

Hey all..

So kind of lost on where the line is drawn... with all the posts to the free clipart sites and free vector sites in the Graphics Help side, are these all open source for anyone to use for decals (for example)? How do you find out this information and where do you draw the line on tracing back images to find out the copyrights on them. I'm in a rabbit hole and I want out.

If a customer sends in an image they want you to vectorize and cut, do you all search for the source of literally every image....? I'm not talking about obvious logos/company trademarks. If I get sent a generic silhouette of a bike, how much time do I spend searching where it came from? 

I read a lot about copyright issues on this site so I'm definitely not trying to fall into that category. I do custom design as many custom ones as possible, but I like the free clipart as well.

Most download sites have their license agreements posted.

In most cases of "free" simply give credit where credit is due and you will be fine. For example if someone shares files simply give that individual credit for the artwork as opposed to claiming to have created it yourself. Be weary of registered trademarks though...even second hand downloads can get you in trouble if the wrong person gets wind of what you are doing. Also be aware if someone posts restrictions such as "personal use only" or "non-commercial use" for example. Play by the rules and everybody will be happy.