Sign in to follow this  
jderry1978

New from Hondo Texas

I joined the forums awhile back, but never did my introduction.  So here goes.  I am in the process of opening my own little sign and graphics company.  Currently I am a deputy sheriff for a local county, but am being pressured by my doctor to change professions due to back and neck injuries sustained in the past.  So I figured a sign shop is the way to go.  Growing up, my first two jobs were with small sign shops and it really grew on me.  I have always enjoyed it and over the years have bought some equipment here and there to do small decals as a hobby. 

So now I am going to give it one final try to make my little dream of having my own shop a reality.  I believe I have the necessary equipment and software to run a succesful shop,

I own the following equipment.

31"  Laserpoint II Plotter

50" SC with Laser Plotter

24"  Canon Imageprograf 650 Printer

60" HP Designjet L25500 Printer

61" HP L260 Printer

68" Titan 3 Plotter

16"x24" Heat press

I use the following sign programs:

Flexi 12

Vinylmaster XPT

Adobe Illustrator

So far, just word of mouth advertising is keeping me busy.  I was able to get the local little league contract for sponsorship banners.  I am shooting for a May 1st official grand opening.  Which is when I will start to run local ads and send out some mailers.  I am blessed to have a wonderful wife who is more supportive of this endeavor then I could have imagined, and 5 great kids that keep me excited about doing this every time I see how they react to a marvel superhero decal or t-shirt I make for them. 

I hope I don't get to annoying with my questions, as I am sure to have several.  I am good with the software and the equipment. However I am uncertain of what exactly to charge customers for items.  If I can be of assistance to anyone, don't hesitate to ask, I will help in anyway I can. 

Hi from Idaho. I have seen a few posts but not officially said hello. I wish I had had the opportunity to work in a couple sign shops as a young man. It would have reduced the learning curve when I got into vinyl. Good luck with your endeavor. I run a small ma and pa part time out of my home. I have 7 kids so I totally hear you on that score. It's nice to be able to do cool things for your family.  Every year that I have a senior in HS (about every other year) they have a class project called the Econ Summit where the classes split up in teams of 4 or 5 and pick a country to represent in a mock summit and they all have to wear t-shirts with the country and flag and misc lettering on them. I started out with my oldest making her team some sweet shirts and then every year since I have had a string of them bring shirts over to get decorated. I don't charge them much 'cause their HS kids and it's for school (usually about $4 sometimes a buck or two more) but it's been great advertising and fun to do. That kind of thing is really why I bought equipment in the first place and then the real money started rolling in from business clients and over the years has turned into a viable revenue stream. 

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

Welcome 

I served for 5 years in England 

Hope the business does well matey 

David