Moody Blue

Vinyl vs. Rear Window Wiper

How does vinyl hold up against an SUV rear window wiper? Customer is getting a full wrap and wanted to add logo and lettering to the back window. The wiper is dead center and will essentially wipe across the entire logo. 

Note I will be using Avery SW900 vinyl for this application.

Glad you asked that...

I've often wondered about how the vinyl holds up to the wiper.

PLUS are there any restrictions/laws about blocking the rear view?

What do auto insurance companies think of this?

Sue2

• Like 1

Regarding the laws, it varies slightly from state to state, and type of vehicle, but in general it's allowed. There are several vehicles that don't have rear windows, or you can not see out them for one reason or another. But to be on the safe side you'd want to check your state laws.

• Like 1

rear window wiper generally wins.

mark-s

Not the answer I wanted to hear but I assumed as much. Probably not worth the trouble of potentially having to redo...ill just incorporate onto the rear lift gate and save us the headache.

• Like 1

Not the answer I wanted to hear but I assumed as much. Probably not worth the trouble of potentially having to redo...ill just incorporate onto the rear lift gate and save us the headache.

This is what I was thinking of doing on the vehicle I use.

• Like 1

I've done a couple of perf rear windows with wipers and they are holding up surprisingly well....the one I've done well over a year now and you can't notice anything degraded....But I have no clue if they actually use the rear wiper all the time or not

I've never had a problem with my rear window graphics for 1.5 years now.   

But lets be honest, who really even uses the rear wiper anyway?

If the design is large enough that it's pretty much blocking the window from use, the wiper will likely never be turned on anyway.

I always tell my customers to keep the wipers new if they have to use them. My buddy has a perf rear window and hasnt had a issue yet, been on for 2 yrs.

I think perf over the whole window would stand a better chance than a lone graphic betting hammered. The perf would pretty much be in continuous contact with the wiper without the edges being hit every swipe. I did my nephews back van window and warned them that it would be a short life and was right. I think it lasted a year or a little longer before it started looking a little haggard. 

I put a layered set of initials on my neice*s suv rear window.  Been a little over a year now and still looks good.  Do not know how often she might use the rear wiper though.

In looking at the pic, do not really know how much the wiper actually hits...

Cal

post-47968-0-83972400-1460416017_thumb.j

I put a layered set of initials on my neice*s suv rear window.  Been a little over a year now and still looks good.  Do not know how often she might use the rear wiper though.

In looking at the pic, do not really know how much the wiper actually hits...

Cal

Lets be honest as high and off to the left it is I doubt it barely gets hit by the wiper.

Lets be honest as high and off to the left it is I doubt it barely gets hit by the wiper.

Yeah I would be more willing to do that but he suggested giant logo direct center. 

It would be a double layer like we are doing on the rest of the vehicle but I think I have him talked out of the rear window now.

rear window wiper generally wins.

mark-s

I have had vinyl on the back of my SUV for 5 years with a wiper and there is no damage to the vinyl at all..

And I'm in MN winter 10 months out of the damn year lol 

-60 to 110 and nothing vinyl looks perfect! 

and mine fills up the whole back window !!! lol 

post-16863-0-50095600-1460591497_thumb.j

• Like 3

Have not yet decided if we will do the window logo or not but here is a sneak peak of what I am working on  ;D

Avery SW900 Matte Black wrap with SW900 Glossy White and Black Reflective for the lightning

That corner though...you would think I do this for a living lol

post-84967-0-02784700-1460646314_thumb.g

post-84967-0-57720300-1460646322_thumb.j

post-84967-0-91019500-1460646454_thumb.j

post-84967-0-18541800-1460646987_thumb.j

• Like 3

A new trend with the import scene is putting banners that usually go at the top of the windshield, right above their wipers... they seem to be holding up well too. 

A new trend with the import scene is putting banners that usually go at the top of the windshield, right above their wipers... they seem to be holding up well too. 

I've seen that. Seems to be a trend in the "bro" truck scene as well.

Hmmm....Stick Figures in reverse all along the top!!!

:lol: