Tks_Designz

Was this a good trade?

So I I'm going to be trading decals for Aircraft vinyl. They are 30" x 150'. Some are a bit less not much of the green left he said. Is this a good deal? Roughly how much is this stuff worth? It's real aircraft vinyl because his employer builds aircrafts. I accepted it in return I'm making him decals for his derby car. post-98032-0-54820700-1460326693_thumb.j

What does it say on that label on the burgandy? 

Didn't ask just seemed like a good trade. Once I make the exchange i'll be able to tell you guys more details about them. 

Aircraft vinyl? huh, I have some space shuttle vinyl I'll trade you for some decals. LoL, I am guessing it is normal vinyl that they just clear coat over... or it may be something special that can hold up to fuels and oils that may come into contact with it. Always know what you are getting before you make a deal... 

• Like 1

I hope it is fresh vinyl...old vinyl can get pits in it,clear down to the backing.. and be brittle to work with...

• Like 1

Like anything else, bartering is only good if you have use for the goods. They obviously have need of some decals. Do you have need of 150 yds of burgundy? I sure hope they need decals made out of this vinyl and that you don't have to go buy more in order to fulfill your part of the deal. I have a 10 yard roll of burgundy and I used about half of it....the rest of it has been setting there getting old. I sometimes use it and other similar as sandblast resist. It's a tough sell to talk people into a color. It would be interesting to know what brand and type of vinyl that actually is. If it is truly for aircraft it's probably cast which is a plus. 

Actually there is a "Aircraft" vinyl. It's made for pressurized cabins and has hundreds of holes in it to allow the metal to breath at altitude. It's also a stronger and different adhesive than normal vinyl due to the conditions it faces.

3M is the only manufacturer that I know makes it and you have to be a certified aviation mechanic or aviation graphics conpany to buy it. It is very expensive.

I don't know if this is he same stuff but its a possibility as that vinyl is real.

Wonder why would you need to be in the aviation field to buy it? Not like it's dangerous or anything, it's just vinyl, why couldn't your average person buy it for what ever use they wanted?

• Like 1

Wonder why would you need to be in the aviation field to buy it? Not like it's dangerous or anything, it's just vinyl, why couldn't your average person buy it for what ever use they wanted?

Unno seems weird to me. Maybe the big name aircraft producers requested it to be. Just making guesses

Found some good info online. 

Professional Installation

Due to FAA safety restrictions, aircraft graphics require rigorous installation guidelines, and should only be done by qualified aircraft installers, and applied graphics must be certified. AdGraphics’ 3M™ certified install team is one of the very few in the USA that is qualified to install graphics for commercial airliners. As a matter of fact, 3M™ will only sell aircraft vinyl to a 3M™ authorized manufacturer. You can rest assured it will be done right, and produced to FAA safety requirements, and 3M™ warranty specifications.

http://www.signindustry.com/installation/articles/2008-07-01-Wrapping_airplanes_Aircraft_with_vinyl_graphics.php3

• Like 4

Ha. I know for an absolute fact there is a bush plane somewhere up in Ketchikan Alaska that has some 751 on it! Ha ha! So does their 9 person van but that one doesn't get off the ground as much. (I didn't install the plane but did the van. 

Found some good info online. 

Professional Installation

Due to FAA safety restrictions, aircraft graphics require rigorous installation guidelines, and should only be done by qualified aircraft installers, and applied graphics must be certified. AdGraphics’ 3M™ certified install team is one of the very few in the USA that is qualified to install graphics for commercial airliners. As a matter of fact, 3M™ will only sell aircraft vinyl to a 3M™ authorized manufacturer. You can rest assured it will be done right, and produced to FAA safety requirements, and 3M™ warranty specifications.

http://www.signindustry.com/installation/articles/2008-07-01-Wrapping_airplanes_Aircraft_with_vinyl_graphics.php3

Thank you for that. I've always thought they painted all the planes instead of using vinyl. Since paint would be lighter you'd think. I think i'm going to have to find a place that does plane wraps and stripes Etc. I don't plan on doing any work on planes in the future. 

Ah, so it's not that they don't want the average Joe using it off purpose, they don't want the possibility of the average Joe using it on an aircraft.

It's a requirement because it has to pass a FAA inspection. If you wrap over the micropores in a pressurized cabin you can cause critical failure, using the wrong vinyl or the wrong installation technique will cause that.

If the material is that much i don't want to know how much people charge to wrap planes....Simple little stripes could be a few grand :o

We did tail sections on a plane and it was $15,000. We are wrapping a non pressurized plane and its in the high twenties. Its very time consuming and a lot of risk.

post-16592-0-60201300-1460490156_thumb.j

We did tail sections on a plane and it was $15,000. We are wrapping a non pressurized plane and its in the high twenties. Its very time consuming and a lot of risk.

Just out of curiosity How much did the materials cost? Roughly how many man hours were consumed? I understand the risk of it, my grandpa used to work at a place that painted planes. If one of the planes had even the tiniest bubble in the paint the whole thing had to be repainted. $15k for the tail section of a plane just blows my mind. Also would you or anyone you know be interested in this vinyl? As i said I have no use for it...unless i someone want's their plane wrapped in burgundy. I'm down for turning $500 into 20k :P

How do you know how old the vinyl is?  I found an old spec sheet for  3M  AIRCRAFT EXTERIOR VINYL VS7704   and the shelf life is 2 years. 

The Tail Section material was printed on 3M 480Cv3. The tail was 25' Tall and was non pressurized. The reason why it cost so much was the labor time it took, Do to roughly 400sqft it took 21 hours. 

Every Panel had to be cut and sealed, every overlap had to be sealed, every screw had to be trimmed and sealed.

For this little plane its all fiberglass and will be clear coated after wrapping so it will go a lot faster.