Primal Decals

issue with applying oracal Carbon fiber

So i stepped into something to test it out on difficulty of doing a grill wrap on a friends 2006 jeep wranlger tj.. I would love to show pics but im so embarrassed to show it lol... I  triple cleaned everything and layed my vinyl across the face, Started smoothing out as needed and was all good. When it came to the verticle slots , i heated very little and formed to inside of each opening,,, Trimmed access vinyl etc. All was good ,holding up and then i came back out 10 min later and it was lifting on all the contour areas of the slots and around the top above the headlights where the hood covers. It held perfect inside the headlight opening and on all the flat surfaces ,Just doesnt wasnt want to hold where there is severe curves.. Did i miss something ? Im sure i did  since i am no expert,I was experimenting in a new thing that of course backfired.Any and all hate remarks and comments  welcome HAHA. Thank you..

was it a wrap film?  did you post heat to the designated temp to reset the memory of the film?

was it a wrap film?  did you post heat to the designated temp to reset the memory of the film?

yes it was.and yes i did post heat, Sorta , I post heated the areas that would be stretched after it was applied not the flat areas? is that where i messed up?

from reading a lot of post from my friend Ben - post heating and checking the temp when post heating is important.  maybe moodyblues will chime in as he has practical experience on this.  I have only done small things like hard tire covers and satellite dishes - nothing like a grill

oh ok.thank you buddy wish i knew someone somewhat close to me  so i could watch how its done..i would drive up to 3 hours to watch someone.. I might just skip things like this.. i have a an adjustable heat gun it starts out at 200 and thats where i was and i can go up from there plus air speed control.Im also looking into going to wrap school from oracal as well just to learn more about wraps.

they have some good classes at the nbm shows every year - last year I went with lablover and the guy at the 3m booth had a cool heat gun with ir thermometer built in so you could see what temp the film was actually heated to - 

I  triple cleaned everything

What did you use? and did you strip the wax from the grille before applying the vinyl? 

I think they actually use some sort of primer glue product on the edges of things like that. I can't remember where I watched that but I think it was one where they wrapped a Ferrari or something ad they mentioned it. Applied a little with a small brush along the door and fender well edges so once the wrap made it around the curve it would stay stuck. 

I think they actually use some sort of primer glue product on the edges of things like that. I can't remember where I watched that but I think it was one where they wrapped a Ferrari or something ad they mentioned it. Applied a little with a small brush along the door and fender well edges so once the wrap made it around the curve it would stay stuck. 

pretty sure that is the 3m primer for their products - can have adverse effects on other brands I read = like melt the vinyl - still has to be post heated to a specific temp

• Like 1

What did you use? and did you strip the wax from the grille before applying the vinyl? 

I used Rapid prep 2x, and 97% rubbing alcohol 2x for the final... They said they never use wax. but i always clean my applying area, never had a problem till trying this