Bugmeister

CP-2500 Compatible Blade Holders

I just picked up a used CP-2500, but it came without software or a blade holder.  Does this cutter use a model specific bladeholder, or are the Roland GX24 compatible blade holders also compatible with the 2500? 

Hey fellow Copam user. You and I are the two main users of them on here these days it seems. I have my Copam working fine and can help you get yours working too no problem. I need to know a few things first: What kind of computer are you running (Windows, Mac or Linux)? What OS are you running on that platform? What bit version of the OS are you running (32bit or 64bit)?

I'll make an assumption you're running Windows 7 64 bit (I am myself) for now until told otherwise. Good news though in that the Copam CP-2500 can run on Windows, Linux or Mac.

Start here: https://support.uscutter.com/hc/en-us

First thing to download is you need the latest FTDI Virtual Com Port (VCP) drivers from http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm for your computer to communicate with the Copam and to assign it a COM port in the Windows Device Manager via Windows Control Panel. Other OS drivers are found on this page too. If you're running 64 bit Windows (any version) look in the COMMENTS section of the driver table for a self installation executable. Otherwise, adding drivers manually is a pain in the rear. Bookmark this page. The COPAM START link above is a bit outdated and the drivers they suggest are ancient. The link I just gave you is from the source who created the drivers in the first place...

Second major thing you'll need is SignBlazer elements (cutting software that used to be paid for software but is now free as the author died and it has been generally assumed around here to be free to use now).  https://support.uscutter.com/hc/en-us

There is an entire section on SignBlazer here on the USCutter forum. I'd post your specific questions there if you run into trouble.

The Copam CP2500 will work with SignGo, SignCut Productivity Pro, FlexiSign Pro, Flexistarter, SignTools, CoCut Pro, WinPCSign, SignBlazer Elements, Sure Cuts A Lot Pro 3 or 4, SignLab, Vinylmaster, ya...pretty much all of them work with the Copams. They're excellent cutters.

The second part of your question, Roland Compatible Blade Holders are compatible and work perfectly. Same with the Roland blades. 

Blades

Roland Compatible Blades are bought through eBay.ca (usually shipped from China for free). Search for Roland Compatible Blades and you’ll get all kinds of results.

Blades Diameter: 2.0 mm
Length: 23mm±1 offset: 0.25 mm

The blades come in three types and vary on the angle of the blade itself:

• 30° Roland Blades (Yellow Cap) For Cutting large fonts and thick materials.
  • 45° Roland Blades (Red Cap) For Cutting general fonts and vinyl film.
  • 60° Roland Blades (Blue Cap) For Cutting very small fonts & intricate line-art logos.

NOTE: Be sure and slow down the speed of your plotter as slow as possible when cutting very small details, also ensure you're using a 60° blade for best results.

Cutting Knife Holder

The Copam CP-2500 uses Roland (F2) style knife holders that are 11.5mm! IMPORTANT!

This blade holder makes it easier to adjust the blade depth by turning the black part of the knife holder on the bottom. It also has a push button “snap” to change blades quickly, simply push the top aluminum rod like a pen and pop the blade out. And while it’s still depressed, pop in a different one just as easily. Then release. No more adjusting blade depth every time you change blades or clean them. 

• Aluminum composition
  • Double bearings
  • Screw adjustment
  • Diameter (Clamp) 11.5mm
  • Diameter (Blade) 2.0mm
  • Length (Clamp to down) 25mm
  • Length (total) 46.5mm

Pen Holder Used for Pen Plotting.

Used for pen plotting (drawing the design instead of cutting it), mock-ups and installation masks for accurate sign letter placement. Search on eBay for 11.5 mm pen.

• Screw adjustment
  • Made of high quality aluminium material

I will give you specific links from eBay:

Pen adapter: $3.00 USD/Free shipping ebay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/11-5-28MM-Cutting-Plotter-Vinyl-Cutter-Pen-Holder-50mm-for-Roland-Holder-Pcut-/231132132896?hash=item35d08c7620:g:CEMAAOSwZQxW53Fp

Knife holder with 15 blades $13.00 USD/ Free shipping ebay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/15pcs-30-45-60-degrees-vinyl-cutter-plotter-ROLAND-blades-ROLAND-Blade-holder-/221928567364?hash=item33abf93244:g:bWcAAOSwZ8ZW8yO2

Something I should have asked you is are you using USB connection? Or a serial connection? Or even serial to USB connection (requires a Tripp-Lite Keyspan adapter to connect your serial port to USB port (A STRAIGHT THROUGH SERIAL CABLE IS NEEDED ON THE COPAM).

That's kind of important so please answer that question too. I can provide you photos of things if this is all jibberish at this point too. Anyhow, that's a lot to digest so take it slow. I can give you manuals too and all kinds of stuff for the Copam.

• Like 1

my copam served me well for over a year and I think chaos covered it is a specific dimension blade holder for that = it uses a roland blade but the blade holder is different than a roland

• Like 1

my copam served me well for over a year and I think chaos covered it is a specific dimension blade holder for that = it uses a roland blade but the blade holder is different than a roland

I was going to mention you in my thread by the way but I forgot how to spell your username specifically (the "fx" part) so I erased it... ;) Was thinking of you though! Honest.

• Like 1

One more thing, Sharpie felt pen adapters (someone 3D prints these to order) $8.99 USD http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sharpie-Marker-Pen-Adapter-For-Most-Makes-Of-Vinyl-Cutters-That-Use-Roland-Blade-/141669963245?

I have two of them (fine tip and large tip Sharpies). They work awesome (you need to take an inch off your usable/cuttable width though due to the offset of the pen).

Very useful however when plotting on paper when testing and learning.

• Like 1

One more thing, Sharpie felt pen adapters (someone 3D prints these to order) $8.99 USD http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sharpie-Marker-Pen-Adapter-For-Most-Makes-Of-Vinyl-Cutters-That-Use-Roland-Blade-/141669963245?

I have two of them (fine tip and large tip Sharpies). They work awesome (you need to take an inch off your usable/cuttable width though due to the offset of the pen).

Very useful however when plotting on paper when testing and learning.

you can also buy those direct from him on here - mb20music I have his blade holder holder and love it

• Like 1

Fantastic info, thanks chaos and dakota!  I'll be digesting this over the next few days to be sure.

I'll be connecting using USB cable, although serial cable to com port is an option if the USB is problematic.  The system is Win 10, 32 bit however I do have a couple older laptops I can setup with earlier versions if I need to.  The technical side of the computer isn't a problem for me.

You've answered and confirmed a number of my questions already which I definitely appreciate, and I have no doubt there will be more to come.

• Like 1

Don't make things too difficult, the copam will work just fine on usb, mine is on a 10' usb, running windows 7 pro 64 bit.

I buy the cheap roland blade holders and (if you have acess to a lathe) turn the length from clamp to bottom to match the original dim. So the length from clamp to bottom is also critical when purchasing a new one. I also use sign blazer and SCALP 3 with no problems. The original Copam blade holder measures 26.6mm from the bottom of the clamp down to bottom not 25mm, just measured mine with the calipers. That means if you go with 25mm then you would have an extra 1/16" of blade sticking out in order to reach the vinyl.