CoachWhite

Design is bigger than Cutter

We are using the VinylMaster Cut v4.0 with SC-34in Cutter. I have an oval that needs to be cut out knowing it is wider then the vinyl. How do I tell the cutter to cut it in half so I can have a seam down the middle. I will try to send a pic.

"TILING" is the term for that.

However, you can just as easily create TWO cut files (each half).

• Like 1

Tiling is what it is know by.  Cutting software often have tiling options.  But going by what VinylMaster said and you don't have the pro version, you can do what slice&dice said, make two cut files.

In my design software there is a convenient knife tool and can cut something down the middle, splitting it in two.  The knife tools can also not split completely in two but cut with an overlap.  Sometimes it is easier to align two haves with an overlap when you go to assemble or transfer to the substrate.

You could just also draw a rectangle, center the edge of the rectangle on the oval and do a intersect or trim or ever how the shape/pathfinder/boolean operation is defined in the software you use.  Once you have one side, duplicate it and flip it left to right, (mirror horizontally.)

Knife on the right, rectangle/oval trim to the left.

ovalhalf.png

• Like 1

Tiling is what it is know by.  Cutting software often have tiling options.  But going by what VinylMaster said and you don't have the pro version, you can do what slice&dice said, make two cut files.

In my design software there is a convenient knife tool and can cut something down the middle, splitting it in two.  The knife tools can also not split completely in two but cut with an overlap.  Sometimes it is easier to align two haves with an overlap when you go to assemble or transfer to the substrate.

You could just also draw a rectangle, center the edge of the rectangle on the oval and do a intersect or trim or ever how the shape/pathfinder/boolean operation is defined in the software you use.  Once you have one side, duplicate it and flip it left to right, (mirror horizontally.)

Knife on the right, rectangle/oval trim to the left.

ovalhalf.png

Thank You. One day I'll be an expert at this stuff. LOL

VinylMaster Pro also has a knife tool and a chop tool in Cut Documents > Edit Cutfile... another way is to just have an object over the top of another and use Punch Out, but again this is only in Pro and above. 

• Like 1

Guest Rob
On 4/7/2016 at 8:23 PM, VinylMaster said:

VinylMaster Pro also has a knife tool and a chop tool in Cut Documents > Edit Cutfile... another way is to just have an object over the top of another and use Punch Out, but again this is only in Pro and above. 

So basically there is no way to easily tile without upgrading the software from cut to Pro?

38 minutes ago, Guest Rob said:

So basically there is no way to easily tile without upgrading the software from cut to Pro?

You can do it by cutting your files down manually. If you do this it's a good idea to build in at least a 1/4" overlap. If you are half way handy this can be accomplished pretty easy. If you are green you might be better off buying the upgrade. I am handy and still let a program deal with it because I find better ways to spend my time. 

Here are a few tips. Make a copy of your work before you mess it up. I would suggest a complete second file with a different name. Use a block or some other object to cover and remove a given area of the graphic and then repeat with another on the other half allowing for some overlap. See attached screenshot. You will also want to insert some registration marks so get it all lined up again. Also can be done manually. 

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 8.21.25 PM.png

• Like 1

I cut a large tree pattern with my SC25 using the method Goose described above.  I ended up with 12 separate panels and my results were "satisfactory".  The SC may not track all that great on such a large pattern.

What size is the oval?  Don't take this wrong, as we (or I) do not know your experience level.  Can you rotate the image 90* and have the image fit without having to cut it in two pieces?

Cal

Guest Julia

How do I split the Houston texan symbol in half so I can do one red and one blue 

Well the first step is to stop by your attorneys office and warn them you may be in a lawsuit for copyright and trademark infringement. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.