new 721 from US Cutter.

Trying to cut a circle with a square around it and it's not closing the cuts.

Grounded, tried 2 apps...same results. Rollers seem tight, belt seems ok. Will call Monday but looking for suggestions in the meantime. They screwed my order up and didn't send my vinyl until almost a week later so I am running behind on an order.

I've had several US cutters through the years and one time I had this issue and it was adjusting a setting (overcut or offset - can't remember) and it fixed it. I've toyed with both to no help.

God I miss my Graphtec....

Any suggestions?

post-85924-0-06005900-1459611111_thumb.j

post-85924-0-32216900-1459611143_thumb.j

if your software has an overcut feature add to that and that will fix it.  well known issue on the value stepper motor cutters

• Like 1

I tried it once but I was messing with other stuff too so may have been the issue. Default value is something like .010 so I'll give that a try and report back shortly...

Thanks for the help Stranger ;)

too many people try to mess with offset to fix this and that just messes up other stuff - I can't imagine going back to a refine after having a graphtec - feeling your pain

looks like an awful lot of blade exposure too 

• Like 2

I also thought too much blade. (at least from that picture) Should barely see and feel it..  What happened to the Graphtec? 

I think it may be just how the pic came out with the blade. Things slowed down to a crawl with the Graphtec and was just sitting around not getting used so sold to invest towards a hobby. Just picked this up to do some stickers here and there

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to have stopped the problem. Overcut (FlexiSign) is at .100 (default)

Wondering if .125 or .150 would help

post-85924-0-52641000-1459613336_thumb.j

Pull back on your blade way too much exposed, and set the offset to 1mm that's where I run my SC & MH and it works great. 

Also a drop of 3-1 or similar oil on your blade holder couldn't hurt, I use mineral oil ( baby oil ) .

well, messed with the setting (not the blade depth) and moved the overcut up to .350 and that seems MUCH better, though I do hear a slight squeak when the carriage slides back and forth.  Cleaned out the track a little but still doing it.  Wondering if I put some lithium grease (tiny bit) on a q-tip and slide it in the tracks if that will help the sound?  I can't imagine having friction is good for those nylon wheels, or for cutting.

Also a drop of 3-1 or similar oil on your blade holder couldn't hurt, I use mineral oil ( baby oil ) .

I've heard this through the years, but never really understood where you'd put it.  Not convinced 100% on this method just yet either  :)

well, messed with the setting (not the blade depth) and moved the overcut up to .350 and that seems MUCH better, though I do hear a slight squeak when the carriage slides back and forth.  Cleaned out the track a little but still doing it.  Wondering if I put some lithium grease (tiny bit) on a q-tip and slide it in the tracks if that will help the sound?  I can't imagine having friction is good for those nylon wheels, or for cutting.

the wheels should be spinning so not sure on that either - if one is not spinning that could be an issue.  the refine will make a lot of noises you got used to not having on the last cutter lol

Pull back on your blade way too much exposed.

Do it , also are you cutting at too fast of a speed? maybe try going slower.

• Like 1

Worked with support. I noticed a squeak from the carriage and they want to replace the carriage AND the motherboard. This has always frustrated me about US Cutter... Sending parts for a brand new defective machine but I'm going to try this and see what happens. I appreciate the support but just feels unorthodox having to replace parts myself on a machine not working right out of the box

But whatever... I just want it fixed even if I have to take it apart and do it myself.

More to follow when the parts get here...

So to update... Once again waiting for them to contact me back (manager)

I've blown through 5 yards of vinyl (testing), had multiple parts shipped and installed, lost 2 jobs this morning because of not being able to deliver...

Steve is not happy...not in the least

So..2nd machine arrived... this is what it does. It's never been connected to a pc. This is just the test cut right from the machine itself

Unbelievably upset...

It's cutting worse than the first one. The corners aren't even squared, they're rounded off AND when it doesn't close the cut it actually flares out...

Close to giving up..... I've lost several jobs cause this has been going on 3 weeks and one of them was a big foot in the door for repeat business :(

</vent completed>

post-85924-0-98516300-1460219583_thumb.j

now that one clearly shows the offset not being set correctly on the corners and looks like too much blade from the curled corners on the star

I can run my finger over the blade and barely feel it. It's not scoring or marking the paper backing whatsoever...

I can go lower but that's not nearly as concerning as the "offset"

How do you change the offset on the machine itself? This was done pressing "test cut" on the machine with no PC connected or are you saying it's just inaccurate naturally with the machine and I have to compensate for that (probably caused by the step motor) by adding offset (and probably overcut)

Consistency would be nice regardless what the machine costs...

haven't owned an MH for about 8 years so can't say for sure (hopefully someone with one will chime in) but it is usually in the menu on the machine

So the plan today was that they were going to work with me to calibrate the machine (not the software) and would test another machine and send it to confirm it was working.

Then they called and sent me a pdf to check a screw (went on to tell me how busy they were) and told me they didn't have any in WA so they were sending me one untested from another facility

I'm absolutely done with this. Done with US Cutter... And I've told them to refund me my money and send RMA for the machines they keep throwing at the problem

Apparently customer service is about as quality as these plotters these days :(

Sad considering I've bought multiple plotters and tons of supplies over the years but they made it pretty apparent my issue wasn't on their list of priorities today

I hate to tell you and you probably don't want to hear it but what I see in the last pick with the star is user error not cutter error. ESPECIALLY if that is a second cutter now mysteriously having the same "glitch" as the first. That's just set up and dial in issues. You unfortunately probably started out your vinyl carrier with a nice cutter and it either didn't have the set-up issues or more probably they weren't obvious enough to notice so you never had to learn that process. This isn't a knock on you BTW!  Since I upgraded to a better cutter I rarely mess with ANYTHING other than occasional slight pressure change. They are just that good. And the few times I have had that ..."huh? Wonder why that's not weeding as good as it should?" moment I find that I have been lazy and let the blade wear down and the offset needs a tweak or I'm over pressured slightly and cutting into the carrier. So basically a budget cutter will FORCE you to learn the nuances that you may never really learn with a high end machine. And the MH is known to be the worst this way. The bottom line is you're not out much cash anyway. 

User error? How do? They don't even know why it's doing this. I've owned 3 MH's, a Seiki Tech, a Roland Color Camm and a Graphtec over the past 10 years

• Like 1