I have a vinyl express R31. I have WINPCSign2012 Pro, Inkscape for software, editing and I also use Gimp sometimes. Not too proficient with that yet

That cutter is a rebranded REDSAIL vinyl cutter....  That is what we were saying.....

redsail is a lower end stepper motor cutter not known for accuracy in cuts or tracking.    most people that do this for a living or serious amateur use a servo motor cutter like the titan or you will notice the old timers almost exclusively use graphtec (with the exception of our couple of summa fans that are also servo motor)  body panel stripes etc I use 751 or 951 on, but niether are air release like you say you are looking for but then again neither is 651 - first real reality check was doing 751 on ram bed stripes about 6 years ago - didn't think there was that much of a compound curve till I got doing it  - 3 times to get the first one right!  
difference on the forums is this one is about 15 percent old timers that help everyone and 85 percent newbies.  the other one was started by old members from here and all the old mods when there was a problem here that has since been resolved with some of us coming back or staying at both.
I saw at t-shirtforum where you said you had the redsail . . .
pretty much everyone here will lead you in the right direction,unlike a certain facebook group where they use  shelf liner for transfer paper and irons to apply htv for customers - I wouldn't be at all surprised in that group to see someone using a hot tea kettle to apply htv .  pretty much everyone here wants to see everyone do things the right way for a lasting product - not something that gets out the door to make a quick buck and last a minute 

• Like 7

redsail is a lower end stepper motor cutter not known for accuracy in cuts or tracking.    most people that do this for a living or serious amateur sue a servo motor cutter like the titan or you will notice the old timers almost exclusively use graphtec (with the exception of our couple of summa fans that are also servo motor)  body panel stripes etc I use 751 or 951 on, but niether are air release like you say you are looking for but then again neither is 651 - first real reality check was doing 751 on ram bed stripes about 6 years ago - didn't think there was that much of a compound curve till I got doing it  - 3 times to get the first one right!  

difference on the forums is this one is about 15 percent old timers that help everyone and 85 percent newbies.  the other one was started by old members from here and all the old mods when there was a problem here that has since been resolved with some of us coming back or staying at both.

I saw at t-shirtforum where you said you had the redsail . . .

pretty much everyone here will lead you in the right direction,unlike a certain facebook group where they use  shelf liner for transfer paper and irons to apply htv for customers - I wouldn't be at all surprised in that group to see someone using a hot tea kettle to apply htv .  pretty much everyone here wants to see everyone do things the right way for a lasting product - not something that gets out the door to make a quick buck and last a minute 

Nicely Put Dakotagrafx... Simple and to the point,Informative ..... High Five buddy, ;D 

Byteme6960-------

now the info is there and you need to decide on what your going to do,,Its your hands now..

• Like 1

Nicely Put Dakotagrafx... Simple and to the point,Informative ..... High Five buddy, ;D

Byteme6960-------

now the info is there and you need to decide on what your going to do,,Its your hands now..

it was a dark time in history when vf was formed - due to one employee that is no longer with usc making crazy statements and doing things like increasing their post count by thousands to look more experienced - and after a long time very loved employee was let go so tensions were thru the roof.  you know it was bad when Bannerjohn left as he is the longest running mod on here and the most even tempered.  after that got sorted out john came back and several of us found our way back but many of the old timers stayed there as it was such a sour experience.  lots of experience and talent there but not as much posting as not as many newbies and not as much need for help - but still everyone helps each other when they need help.  on here a big segment is people that just bought a cutter and after hours or on the weekends need help getting going.  This forum is great because there is such a knowledge base in writing to search from and that core group that can help when people wish to listen

• Like 2

Offended?? Not at all! If it came across that I was, that wasn't my intention. I actually appreciate the information, criticism, ideas and opinions. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to learn or grow. Everyone has a way of saying things and interpreting them. Again, I appreciate what people say. If I don't like what someone says, that's when I need to read, reread and reflect on why I don't like it.

ok, Thank you so much for that information!!! The cutter was not one I had purchased myself. I was wondering why I always had a love/hate relationship with this thing!!!  Looks like I'm going to be doing some research on getting a new cutter. In the meantime, I will just keep my yapper shut lol.

And you're right..I do have a heat press...and I've been in a bunch of groups where I saw people use irons, Waffle irons (I kid you not) and who knows what else for HTV...

• Like 1

ok, Thank you so much for that information!!! The cutter was not one I had purchased myself. I was wondering why I always had a love/hate relationship with this thing!!!  Looks like I'm going to be doing some research on getting a new cutter. In the meantime, I will just keep my yapper shut lol.

And you're right..I do have a heat press...and I've been in a bunch of groups where I saw people use irons, Waffle irons (I kid you not) and who knows what else for HTV...

there was a company on ebay for years with a wooden heat press called a monkey press - they took the top off a electric griddle and screwed it to a wood framework.  one element that curved around the middle of the griddle with huge gaps between - great for pancakes not so much for even heat for HTV

• Like 1

If you can afford it, get a cutter with a servo motor,, better tracking and cuts,, and very quiet...Much better memory also. 

• Like 2

just checked and he still makes them just paints them black

http://themonkeypress.com/prod-heat-1.aspx

f
or those reading this months from now - DO NOT BUY THIS HEAT PRESS - this is to show what is not good to do and is definitely not an enforcement.

this is an example of taking advantage of people with an inferior product

• Like 1

Like I said.    You can use 951 but I personally wouldn't suggest it. Like Dakota I've had to redo one 5 times because once it's stuck you're screwed and with compound curves it's really easy to mess up.   

I would suggest a car wrap vinyl that easy to reposition, accepts heat really well so you can shape it to the curves, it last a long time, and when it's time to come off years later it will leave less residue.  

I mean that's what it's made for.   

Did you price 951 ? 

If you get offended that easily you may want to find another line of work..... Just saying.

I had a realtor say that to me when I submitted an offer on a rental.. "they are going to be offend by this offer" ...  did I care if they got offend ? NOPE it's part of doing business. 

Exactly, I've spent hours on designs before just to have them rejected. Was I offended? Not really. 

• Like 1

Long time update...The person who wanted the blue design bailed out on me, the guy with the Fury stripes said he had to save up, and the guy with the charger will pay whatever..

Thank you all for you help and for taking the time to answer me. I don't intend to come across like a total bumbling idiot, but it  happens...and I know you'll all steer me in the right way, With that being said, All the money that I am making now is going into a "New Cutter Fund" I just wish they were a little more affordable!

• Like 2

nothing to add, just wanted to know if I was considered an "old timer" lol

You'll love a new cutter when you get there. I started out with a budget model too and the difference is pretty severe in certain circumstances. If you are doing vehicles and more than one color it is pretty near impossible to get good registration (meaning equal spacing in the relationship of two or more color layers).

One thing you will see often on here is the experienced trying to help the less so keep their prices up at the right level. I have worked too cheap more than once and most of the time it really didn't pay off. If you are trying to build a client base then you're building one expecting you to continue to work for peanuts. They will also talk to others who will also want you to work for peanuts. If you are going to go that route at least think it through and make it some sort of "Special Pricing" incentive type thing so you can get up to where you need to be after the pro-bono or nearly pro-bono price. Problem with car vinyl is how often is this going to be repeat work? Not very often unless it's for some detail shop or some unique customer that does this sort of thing a lot. If you have a buddy who street races cars and will get your work noticed then maybe it would lead to something bigger otherwise you're just giving away the work without the likelihood of the sacrifice paying off. 

I did a bunch of free work when I started. Actual FREE to several friends who have businesses. I didn't feel my skills were up to par to be charging others full rate so I figured if I was doing work cheap I'd go with people who were friends and family who wouldn't be upset with sub-par installs etc... They gave me a few referrals but the practice was the best pay-off for me and I was more prepared when a real job came along. Although my very first real job I tried to do a wet install with clear app tape and made a huge freaking mess of it. Thank goodness they weren't there watching. 

• Like 1