I have 3 customers each wanting the designs/stripes on their vehicles. Each wants to pay me 150.00  I know that seem really cheap and it is. I almost feel like its an insult to me that my time, vinyl, masking etc isn't worth anything. Yes, I do already have the vinyl at the shop.

What would your recommendations be?

The one is a 15 challenger, the other is an 05 SSR the other is for a 4 door 2006 Ford .

Opinions?? Please and thank you!!

post-86717-0-98401700-1459542908_thumb.j

post-86717-0-38681300-1459542927_thumb.j

post-86717-0-26072200-1459542933_thumb.j

How much do you feel your time and vinyl are worth? Stated another way...how much do YOU want for it?

If you feel that putting some vinyl stickers on a car for $150 is too cheap, then you need to be comfortable saying $175-200 take it or leave it. And if they walk away, say to yourself, thank goodness. If a customer is going to be a cheapskate and try and nickle and dime you, I wouldn't bend nor chase them just to get some cash because they're not going to be a returning customer you want to deal with.

The vinyl doesn't cost a lot as you know. It's the prep time designing it, masking it, (cleaning the car) and lay time. Stress that it's going to take X amount of time/side to apply these properly - or, you can do it yourself (then you can come up with a price minus the install labor)! Then remind them that when they go to a car garage for a repair, the shop labor is over $100/hr or more. Again, "if they balk, let them walk"...Wear a heat-pressed t-shirt that says that on it when you make that "suggestion". It will empower you.

• Like 1

I've done decals cheap, gave friends good deals and in the end I always ask my self why I did that. I am just cheating myself out of my time and money. So I really try to not be the discount guy anymore. If they can find someone else to give up their time and money, by all means go to that other guy.

If you are just getting into the vinyl business you could do a few at a discount to get some installs under your belt. One usually has more time in the beginning and as you grow you'll have less and less, then time is very valuable and you'll charge accordingly.

Guess you didn't like the answers on the other forum??

post-2057-0-23159400-1459570383_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Guess you didn't like the answers on the other forum??

too many people over there been doing it too long and do it for a living - so must be searching for an audience that says what they want to hear

but then again cutting anything like that on a redsail cutter is going to be interesting to say the least.  will she use a cast vinyl and do it right?  so many questions

You're going to be HATE yourself at $150 is you're using normal sign vinyl.   It's truely a huge pain in the ass to make graphics like that even with 751 and 951.  Cars have multiple compound curves that these vinyls don't like.   

I've learning that I'm ONLY going to use car wrap vinyl with air release technology from now on.  

• Like 3

Don't want to butt in on the thread but is car wrap vinyl easier to use than "normal" sign vinyl for this type of job?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="mr300s" data-cid="415921" data-time="1459570390"><p>

Guess you didn't like the answers on the other forum??</p></blockquote>

I liked the answers just fine. It was recommended to me that I ask here also, so I did. I like to get as much input as I can. The answers there were a real reality check for me with the pricing. I also wanted to see if there were different areas with pricing. Not everyone is on the same forum. If there is someone else with other thoughts, I like to know.

• Like 1

Ok. So instead of the 651, you'd recommend the 951? I have no problems whatsoever putting out money for a quality product. If my name is going to be attached to something, I want quality. And I want to do it right.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="dakotagrafx" data-cid="415922" data-time="1459571598"><p>

too many people over there been doing it too long and do it for a living - so must be searching for an audience that says what they want to hear<br />

<br />

but then again cutting anything like that on a redsail cutter is going to be interesting to say the least. will she use a cast vinyl and do it right? so many questions</p></blockquote>

So you have a REDSAIL vinyl cutter?   Have you tried before, cutting a design that big?  Like the bottom picture?   Alot of the value cutters are limited on memory and good tracking ability. 

• Like 1

What is a redsail cutter? I have been doing some vinyl for a while, nothing too huge like other people who wrap, so I'm debating if I should be offended or just let it slide by. Again, as far as the vinyl goes, I have 651 already, but will be purchasing the vinyl that is appropriate for each job. And yes, like someone said, air egress vinyl is probably how I'll go. I've learned a while ago, that it's the best way for me

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Mz SKEETER" data-cid="415947" data-time="1459612550"><p>

So you have a REDSAIL vinyl cutter? Have you tried before, cutting a design that big? Like the bottom picture? Alot of the value cutters are limited on memory and good tracking ability.</p></blockquote>

Ok. So instead of the 651, you'd recommend the 951? I have no problems whatsoever putting out money for a quality product. If my name is going to be attached to something, I want quality. And I want to do it right.

Oracal 651 is for general signage, not really recommended for vehicles, while many will use 651 on vehicle windows, it is best to use 751 (or 951) on the body of the vehicles. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

What is a redsail cutter? I have been doing some vinyl for a while, nothing too huge like other people who wrap, so I'm debating if I should be offended or just let it slide by. Again, as far as the vinyl goes, I have 651 already, but will be purchasing the vinyl that is appropriate for each job. And yes, like someone said, air egress vinyl is probably how I'll go. I've learned a while ago, that it's the best way for me

Did you price 951 ? 

If you get offended that easily you may want to find another line of work..... Just saying.

I had a realtor say that to me when I submitted an offer on a rental.. "they are going to be offend by this offer" ...  did I care if they got offend ? NOPE it's part of doing business. 

I liked the answers just fine. It was recommended to me that I ask here also, so I did. I like to get as much input as I can. The answers there were a real reality check for me with the pricing. I also wanted to see if there were different areas with pricing. Not everyone is on the same forum. If there is someone else with other thoughts, I like to know.

I do the same thing, i go to another forum just to see what others may say< i have no clue if im talking to the same people there as i am here ,so it doesnt hurt to ask . I would aslo react the same way as byteme6960 would with some of the responses> its not that we want someone to agree or say what we want hear , its the fact of getting Opinions on something wilthout getting poked at when we dont have enough knowledge on a certain thing, It might take a liitle bit to sink in, but we will get it hopefully sooner than later.. W eare just asking for help or guidance.

Choose the proper material, and charge what you feel is good for you,Not the World standard of what it would be to them.Take ideas,think on it,And your set.If your happy with what you make then thats all that counts,Not everyone is going to have the same price value on something as the next,but dont undercut yourself too much otherwise you are waisting money ....

• Like 1

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Mz SKEETER" data-cid="415949" data-time="1459612735"><p>

Ok so which vinyl cutter do you have that you wanting to do these projects with?</p></blockquote>

I have a vinyl express R31. I have WINPCSign2012 Pro, Inkscape for software, editing and I also use Gimp sometimes. Not too proficient with that yet