GraphxNMore

Material for backlit signs

Where does everyone get theirs? I just had army first request for one (using existing frame, al I need is the plexi) and was wondering if anyone has found materials at local vendors such as Lowe's, etc.

I have no idea where you would get it. There is a big difference between plexi glass and Lexan, go with Lexan. Plexi will break and leave long shards like glass. Lexan is much more durable, you can even get it in MR10 (IIRC) that is scratch proof.

I'm sure you can find a place on line that will deliver any size you need. 

http://www.plasticgenius.com/2011/08/plexiglass-vs-lexan-matchup.html

Lexan is tougher but is more susceptible to yellowing from UV. Basically if this is something that is within reach of people and could be hit easily lexan might be a good idea. If it's higher up on a sign then plexiglass is the norm. I have always used plexiglass even for a lower one that I was fixing because a kid threw a rock through it. I asked the business owner if he wanted to step it up to lean and explained the difference and the cost difference and he stuck with plexiglass. 

FYI, Plexiglass and Lexan are both brand names. The name of the actual materials are Polycarbonate(Lexan) and Acrylic(Plexiglass). 

• Like 2

FYI, Plexiglass and Lexan are both brand names. The name of the actual materials are Polycarbonate(Lexan) and Acrylic(Plexiglass). 

darcshadow is absolutely correct. So is a Crescent wrench, they just do it so well or were the origin and they become household names that become a product description.