bratan

Vinyl drag and other issues

Hi,

I'm almost complete n00b when it comes to LaserPoint II cutter so I'm helping someone can help me to get started.

Issue I'm having is when cutting blade (45 degree) starts dragging and lifting all vinyl with it...

I tried reading chinglish manual for this cutter, but it's completely useless :(

I've adjusted blade height as shown in tutorial videos, it cuts great by hand, doesn't cut thru vinyl backing, etc.

Do I need to manually adjust pressure, if so how?

What about speed?  It seems to default to 200mm, even though I tried setting it to 150 max in VinylMaster cut 4.0. 

Any suggestions to get me started are greatly appreciated! :)

Being new, start with a slow speed until you learn your machine, and set your blade depth and force below:

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

Thanks Mz Skeeter!

I did mention that I already adjusted blade height as you described :) But I'll try again...
What speed would you recommend for starters? Is pressure adjustable?

Thanks Mz Skeeter!

I did mention that I already adjusted blade height as you described :) But I'll try again...

What speed would you recommend for starters? Is pressure adjustable?

think you said you adjusted blade height according to the video that mentions the 1/2 credit card depth that is almost 10 times too much blade exposure and causes this problem regularly for noobs.  the make sure you are not making the plotter pull the vinyl from the roll by unrolling enough for the project first.  that along with skeeters other direction of slowing it down should get you going

Dakota is correct, If you are lifting vinyl, then you have too much blade exposed...which is why I was explaining how to set it correctly..You should just barely see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. .Yes, your machine has a feature to adjust force,  I recommend slow speed. like I mentioned.  Settings are not in stone  on vinyl cutters. Even the same model can be different. The speed on my Graphtec would not be the same as your speed on your Laserpointer,  So slow. I don't own a Laserpointer, just giving you basic info for any vinyl cutter. 

• Like 1

Thanks all!  Sorry I didn't mention which video I followed :) It was one that shows how to setup LaserPoint II cutter. They do show how to adjust blade on piece of vinyl as well as postcards. I didn't try postcards but I will play more with it... At least now I know my issue is due to blade length, this helps a lot!

Speed and pressure are adjusted via VinylMaster software correct? I didn't find option in the LCD menu (only moving and setting origin)...

Some cutting software will have options to adjust your speed or pressure but most of us do it on the machine manually. There are more chances for error trying to trust a software driver to set the pressure. 

• Like 1

Some cutting software will have options to adjust your speed or pressure but most of us do it on the machine manually. There are more chances for error trying to trust a software driver to set the pressure. 

and some cutters will allow you to set it in the software and others won't  - LPII betting it is control panel on the machine only - unlike a graphtec or summa . . . .

• Like 2

Maybe you should read your user manual, as Speed and Force are adjusted on your machine control panel. 

http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Support_PDF/CutterSetup/LP2/LP2_Manual.pdf

Did you read it yourself? :)

It's full over Chinglish "pearls" like: 

The pressure-setting knob is at the right side of machine, and it is continuously adjustable. Generally we adopt the smaller cutting force. To ensure the best pressure, test every when turning on the machine or changing the paper kind.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to locate this "pressure-setting knob" anywhere on my machine. In fact it seems that instruction is for different hardware, judging from pictures of the control panel  :(

I'm really disappointed that USCutter sells these machines without even attempting to correct or check instructions manual...

Also laser doesn't ever come on (when tried contour rest). Unless it's infrared...

Anyway I finally found where to adjust speed and pressure. It was actually quite simple with arrows (I was looking for a specific menu, duh!). 

Another "pearl":

Speed regulation: adopts the mode of bi-direction circle, and speed can be regulated grade-by-grade by “↑” or “↓” key. In the state of the static or dynamic screen, first pressing the “↑”or “↓” key can check up current speed state. Afterwards, before automatically returning to the last screen, pressing “↑” once can increase speed one grade and if keeping pressing it, speed will be increased quickly. When speed reaches to the highest value, pressing “↑” key will make it be the lowest. On the contrary, it is to be. After the regulation, system will return to the last screen automatically

I think I'll attempt to actually translate this manual (it's only 20 pages) to English and post it on my site (lensdigital.com).

And a success!!!  I retracted blade even more and adjusted pressure on machine to 500gm and speed to 200-300mm.  Cuts well now!  Thanks all!

Only issue I'm seeing is that circles are not circular. Is it something I need to calibrate blade offset (I saw that option in VinylMaster)?

vinyl01.jpg

Blade offset will affect your corners of a square more. Did you draw the circles or trace them?

• Like 1

Blade offset will affect your corners of a square more. Did you draw the circles or trace them?

I drew one of them (bottom left symbol), but guy with the flag came with VinylMaster as part of included clipart...

As for laser, I'm now pretty sure it's not working. Tried Laser  Offset Calibration and laser diode is not visible at all... I think it's dead. Going to call USCutter about this... That's some QA  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I drew one of them (bottom left symbol), but guy with the flag came with VinylMaster as part of included clipart...

As for laser, I'm now pretty sure it's not working. Tried Laser  Offset Calibration and laser diode is not visible at all... I think it's dead. Going to call USCutter about this... That's some QA  :rolleyes:

sounds like a good idea so they can troubleshoot the circle issue - usually we find that people are making the cutter pull the vinyl from a roll when that happens but there has also been loose knurled rollers and loose belts to let the pros troubleshoot it

Just checking something,,  which cutter did you choose, when you made your set up in Vinyl Master?. Checking my demo of VinylMaster    It looks like you would choose LaserPoint11.   and what ever width you have. 

• Like 1

Just checking something,,  which cutter did you choose, when you made your set up in Vinyl Master?. 

USCutter: Laserpoint II-25in

Port: Direct COM Port

Baud: 9600

Flow Control: Hardware (CST/RTS)

USCutter: Laserpoint II-25in

Port: Direct COM Port

Baud: 9600

Flow Control: Hardware (CST/RTS)

Ok,   just checking....

Got reply from support about laser. In fact it wasn't broken, just needed to be turned on via menu!  I was wondering what is that "ON" setting was, now I know it's to turn on laser :)

To turn on the laser on the LaserPoint 2, first go to the cutter control panel. You will want to  press ENTER while LOCAL is highlighted in white, then press SELECT until you get to ON and then press ENTER once again and this should turn on the laser.

I didn't ask about deformed circles yet, wanted to do a definite test on these just didn't have time.