xyzsniper

Single path is double cut

Not sure if this should be in the inkscape forum or here,,,

I have a custom design I drew in inkscape using the bezier curve and circle tools.

I want the cut to be 1 line but somehow SB sees the line as having width and so appears double cut.

Varying stroke width helped to a degree but I can't help but feel like i'm missing something basic?

Can you post the svg on dropbox or something similar?   Viewing in outline/wireframe mode in Inkscape can be helpful.

In your Inkscape drawing, remove the stroke color, and add a fill color, that will give you a better idea of what the plotter will produce. Also viewing in wire frame will show you exactly what the plotter will do.

Thanks darcshadow! It didn't look right when viewing in normal mode but it cut what was in wireframe mode.

ETA:

Some paths aren't closed and the cutter is connecting the 2 open nodes. So sort of drawing what i see in normal mode instead of wire frame?

Where the heck is Slice & Dice? He's the resident guru and activist for SBE. I bet he can figure it out. 

I am NOT an inkscape user to any extent but can't you draw a line with no stroke? It would help the forum help you if you uploaded a file to show what your having issues with. (svg file from Inkscape) At least we could rule out a design error and help dial in on what you're fighting. I'm having a hard time understanding what you are doing. It's pretty rare to want a line cut and not connected to something. 

When I look at it, I see multiple objects.  Each of those objects will generate a cutting line.  Here is what it looks like when I move the objects off to the side a bit, and color them, to give an exploded view.  I suspect what you want is the red one at the bottom which is achieved using the union option in inkscape.  SB has a way to union or weld also.  Also is a link to the svg file.  You should readily see this if you change the view mode in Inkscape to Outline.

Untitled-1.png

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c4lnd87n8n0xccr/AADDoMdEBA8mKulvJuPrLzS9a?dl=0

Just in case it still isn't clear, here it is again with the objects given an orange outline so you can see were the cutting is likely occurring.  It would likely not be cutting double, but in multiple places.

unionexag.png

• Like 1

What i would like is for the cutter to trace what is in orange in the last photo.

Instead, I get 5 vertical lines on the circle from the rectangle pieces. The vertical lines are not visible in wire frame mode.

I will try union and weld

The last one with the orange I had to change the stacking order so all the lines would show.  If that is what you need to cut I think you might have a rectangle that is above or on top of another.  You need to make it be behind another object I guess.  Vector objects can be in front of or behind other objects on the SAME layer.

• Like 1

Not sure why you're getting the vertical lines, unless when you pull the file into SB it is closing the object, but what is drawn in Inkscape should cut like you want. That being said, the more reliable way would be to use the union and difference to make all the individual objects a single object. I'm am unable to see the images posted by dcbevins but here is my guess as to what you intended the cut to be along with step by step instructions of how I achieved the look in Inkscape.

*note, just noticed my step 4 is incorrect, it should read difference between black and blue.

mask.svg

post-25571-0-21147500-1459176527_thumb.p

Hey darcshadow, I see now that your example is mostly correct.

How would I get outer-most circle to cut complete?

And my apologies for posting in the Inkscape specific forum. Didn't mean to come off as being rude.

I appreciate everyones help!

xyz you are simply building incorrectly for a cut ready file. You mentioned in your "other post" on this issue that you tried adding stroke etc... I know you are new so we are trying to be understanding and give good pointers. When building a cut file you can act as though the stoke button is broken. Some use stroke and then expand it to achieve an offset. There is nothing wrong with doing this as long as you are savvy enough to understand all the factors involved but it is not necessary and more often than not confuses the newbies as well as often creates more work in the end. So NO STOKE at least until you get some more time under your belt. 

Second, what darcshadow has eloquently explained IS proper building and if that still isn't what you want you need to more full explain or show the end product you are after. I see you keep wanting to completely cut through the outer ring of the circle but to us that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Is this more than one color? 

Yes I'm a newb! Most of my experience is tracing bitmaps to make vinyl stickers.

And I would like to cut exactly what you see in wireframe so the outer circle must be complete.

This will be an airbrush paint mask.

Once the pattern is cut, the entire thing is stuck to the inside of a clear lexan r/c car body. You airbrush a color and remove a segment and airbrush the next color etc.

I pulled that test file up and tried it in SignCut and it also connects the rectangles so you'll have to build it properly and you will probably get a double pass through that whole side where the rectangles meet the circle. That wouldn't be a big deal with a servo cutter but you may get some inconsistency there with a stepper motor. It won't be much but on something small it might be worse than nothing larger.  Maybe some other cutting program would follow that line blindly like a plasma cutter would but evidently vinyl cutting programs will connect the dots. I didn't know they would do that to tell the truth. First ever scenario where it came up that I've ever seen. 

So dumb question but once you pull up a piece and paint it then move to the next how do you protect the one you just did from overspray? 

Since the work piece is clear and painting from the backside, the overspray is just backing the previous color.

Since the work piece is clear and painting from the backside, the overspray is just backing the previous color.

Ah that makes sense. I just learned something else new today. Sweet. 

xyz, to get the full circle like you want, in step 3, do not include the red circle when you union the brown, green and blue.

Then duplicate the red and do a difference between the red and blue. If you were to slide the blue out a little you should see that it is now the shape you want.

You can now either take the difference between the black and the red, or just leave it as is and when you send it to the cutter cut all 3 colors at the same time.

Thanks darcshadow! There is still double cutting where the stripes meet but I think it's as close as it can get.

I appreciate everyone's time and effort in helping me to understand how to properly build a cut.