darcshadow

New Engraver on the market

Buddy just sent me this link.

https://www.glowforge.com

Looks like a pretty cool system with a seeming very easy to use interface.

There are several videos on YouTube that show off even more capabilities of the thing.

• Like 1

Yeah, seems like you're really paying for the ease of use. Has lots of pre-orders so clearly their marketing is doing well. :)

Nice the only thing that would make it better would be if it cut and engraved metal ...I have been looking at engravers for a long time just had to much other things keeping me busy ...

It looks pretty cool, but I'm very wary of any kickstarter project that has yet to deliver anything.

Also, under their FAQ, they don't disclose origin of manufacturing. Any guesses?? //sarcasm.

Seen that thing several months ago. Their marketing is very good at making people want one. I'd like to see a finished product and a review to see if it'll work as claimed before dropping that kind of cash on a pre order with thousands of orders in before mine.

• Like 1

I wish I could drive over to troytec and buy a "factory refurb) one - only 2 hrs away.  that one linked sure looks cool but I would want to see the working unit with a hard timeline for delivery before I put that kind of money out

Yes I agree with you guys before I spend that much I want to see some hard honest reviews etc...

I've been following the glowforge saga on the laser forums I'm on.   

The people of glow forge are marketing geniuses.  that is all.   

There are so many safety issues.   The software is great but it's 100% run through the cloud. You create the file -> It's sent to glowforge servers -> and they send the command to the laser.  

So far there's been 0 prototypes seen in the wild and they were suppose to be shipping by now.   

Overall the general vibe is the company has bitten off far more then they can chew.   

• Like 2

I've been following the glowforge saga on the laser forums I'm on.   

The people of glow forge are marketing geniuses.  that is all.   

There are so many safety issues.   The software is great but it's 100% run through the cloud. You create the file -> It's sent to glowforge servers -> and they send the command to the laser.  

So far there's been 0 prototypes seen in the wild and they were suppose to be shipping by now.   

Overall the general vibe is the company has bitten off far more then they can chew.   

Must be from the makers of Obamacare - sorry couldn't resist 

• Like 1

Yeah, I've google'd this product before when I was considering a laser engraver... been researching for some time now and I agree... price tag of this is ridiculous...  there are many Chinese laser engravers on ebay for less that $1k... but if you decide to buy one, be sure to check out the youtube video of grounding these puppies.  After I watched the grounding video, I decided to do more research because I am not too fond of electricity and if those things are not directly grounded to an outdoor proper ground, you could be in trouble.  Here is the video if you are interested...