tpgpz55

need your thoughts on two different options

Trying to decide between two cutters

• Silhouette Cameo 2
  • SK720T 28" VINYL CUTTER with PC Flexi 11 CONTOUR

they fit in my budget.  This is fairly small scale cutting options.

I don't have any plans to go into a retail space

Thanks!

I started with a Seiki vinyl cutter, and it was a pretty nice cutter, (still have it)  and I still use Flexistarter software   You will want the larger cutter. As soon as people know you have a cutter, they will want you doing work for them.  Don't limit yourself with a small cutter, even though you think that is all you will do now.  My 2c

• Like 2

I agree with Skeeter. The funny thing I see with the Chinese cutters are these 28" and 34" and other odd sizes. The basic vinyl sizes you will find available are 15", 24" and 30". There are a few other sizes available like some like some limited color and types at 36" and 40" widths and then a final main jump to 48" but in general the first three handle about 98% of anything most people do in plain old cut vinyl applications (printers are a whole different ballgame obviously). Probably more like 99.8% in reality. So the 28" is more than you need for 24" vinyl but too small for 30". I don't get it. Anyway, at the end of the day you will have a lot more pure application options open for you with something that can handle a 24" wide roll. 

• Like 2

Well the 34 inch is only $30 more.  So I see your point and it may be smart to just get that one.  Its another $100 to go to the 54, so I am not sure I need to get that crazy.  

Stay away from the MH cutters, too many problems with static and memory issues. Just look in the MH cutter thread.  

• Like 2

The Seiki is a much better cutter than the MH cutters,,the MH have very limited memory,   If buying from UScutter, then at least get the Uscutter SC,  not the MH..   No need for a 54" cutter.  I have never needed over 30" and I have cut for many years now. 

• Like 2

There may bot be a need but its the want of a 54" cutter lol. I started on a Silhouette then got an MH and it did ok but where I worked out of static wasn't an issue the memory was thought but for a hobby person not a bad cutter. I upgraded to a Graphtec last year 24" because I wanted ARMs, and lets face it a way better cutter. Of course i' in debt up to my armpits but it was worth the gamble better clean cuts, quiet, accurate cutting and the tracking is amazing for long cutting.

• Like 2

Wildgoose, in regards to the odd sizes of the Chinese cutters. I believe they are measuring the space between the sides, not the actual cutting area. So while you could fit a 28" piece of material in the machine, about 3.5" of that is taken up by the cutter head and about half an inch with the holder so you really can only cut 24" wide material. But advertising it as a 28" cutter sounds better than a 24" cutter.

• Like 1

Wildgoose, in regards to the odd sizes of the Chinese cutters. I believe they are measuring the space between the sides, not the actual cutting area. So while you could fit a 28" piece of material in the machine, about 3.5" of that is taken up by the cutter head and about half an inch with the holder so you really can only cut 24" wide material. But advertising it as a 28" cutter sounds better than a 24" cutter.

You are probably right about that. Makes perfect sense if you put on your Chinese thinking cap.