PixelPusher

Coreldraw X8 is out today March 16/2016

A heads up Coreldraw X8 is out today March 16/2016: http://www.coreldraw.com/ca/product/graphic-design-software/?topNav=ca

Email says anyone from version 1.0 upwards can upgrade to X8, not just X5, X6,X7 folks!

"As a loyal owner and user of any previous version of CorelDRAW Graphics Suite, you'll be glad to know that we have reopened the upgrade path to users of all versions so you can now upgrade to X8 from any version — even 1.0."

post-96816-0-03008000-1458148549_thumb.j

post-96816-0-03203900-1458148382_thumb.j

I was just on the phone with them the other day trying to find out if I could upgrade from x3 to at least x5 or newer.  The support persons accent (foreign) was so bad we were going in circles and I could not get an answer to my simple question.  After being put on hold several times and getting no where, after about 15 minutes I finally gave up and just hung up.

I later got an email asking about my experience and if my problem had gotten solved..... I explained the situation, and told them my question had not been answered.  I have not received a follow up message via phone or email. 

I installed and played with it some last night.  Not a great deal new.  There is a new font manager that integrates into Draw and seems much improved.  Via the font manager, Draw can now deal with fonts not directly installed on the system.

They finally added a way to disable that annoying popup when zooming out too far.  There are more pressure sensitive options in a number of areas.  The shape tool has a way to select part of a path and copy paste that.  Most of the improvements seem to be minutia.  

The drop shadow tool now has gaussian blur.

They added support for 4k monitors, and a variety of scaling options, but I don't have a 4k one yet.

I don't exactly like the look, the icons are clunky loud.  The pick tool mouse pointer is jumbo jet size.

I don't think I want to depend on it yet, I'lll wait until some dust has settled.

If I understand correctly, apart from some OEM and limited versions, they have an upgrade path available from any version, 1.0 - X7.

Is this strictly an on the Cloud "rental" or do you get a disk?

Sue2

I have a subscription.  I downloaded X8.  I at some point want/wanted to go retail box.  My thought when I got the subscription, pre X7, was it would allow me to preview X7 and decide whether to buy X6 or X7.  Instead of deciding, I ended up keeping my subscription all the way to X8 and now get to decide again.  Where this all falls in their upgrade cycle is unfortunate as I have most of the year left in my subscription when a new release hits.

I have X6, X7 and now X8 all installed.

• Like 1

I have x7 and it's OK but has some problems exporting EPS files. EPS files created in x7 won't import into x4 or older versions but EPS files created in x6 will. I also have problems with SVG files created with x7. They don't display correctly when viewed in a browser or with Adobe Illustrator. Some shapes show as filled when they shouldn't be.

Could you send me an EPS file created with x8 so I can test compatability with older versions? If it's not too much trouble I would also like an SVG file so I can test rendering in Adobe Illustrator.

I was just on the phone with them the other day trying to find out if I could upgrade from x3 to at least x5 or newer.  The support persons accent (foreign) was so bad we were going in circles and I could not get an answer to my simple question.  After being put on hold several times and getting no where, after about 15 minutes I finally gave up and just hung up.

I later got an email asking about my experience and if my problem had gotten solved..... I explained the situation, and told them my question had not been answered.  I have not received a follow up message via phone or email. 

You can always go to the official forums (free) http://community.coreldraw.com/ and sign up. Post your question or PM someone FROM Corel named Gerard Metrailler (he works there and is very knowledgeable) Here is an old thread you can find his post on which you can click on when a member to post a question: http://community.coreldraw.com/talk/coreldraw_graphics_suite_x4/f/245/p/5133/26880#26880

Anyhow, in my email this morning from Corel and on their website now, you can upgrade from X3 to version X8 for $249 CAD that's like $199 USD.

The boxed versions don't ship until April 5th/2016. For now you're getting a digital download but you can buy the boxed version now and download a digital copy right away and when the boxed version ships in April, you'll get that then.

You can always go to the official forums (free) http://community.coreldraw.com/ and sign up. Post your question or PM someone FROM Corel named Gerard Metrailler (he works there and is very knowledgeable) Here is an old thread you can find his post on which you can click on when a member to post a question: http://community.coreldraw.com/talk/coreldraw_graphics_suite_x4/f/245/p/5133/26880#26880

Anyhow, in my email this morning from Corel and on their website now, you can upgrade from X3 to version X8 for $249 CAD that's like $199 USD.

The boxed versions don't ship until April 1st/2016. For now you're buying a digital download but you can buy the boxed version now and download a digital copy right away and when the boxed version ships in April, you'll get that then.

Thanks for the upgrade info.  I am not sure I want to go all the way to x8.  Especially after the above review.  

Is this strictly an on the Cloud "rental" or do you get a disk?

Sue2

Please read my post #7. For now it's digital download only, and it's not rental. You can buy the boxed version (contains the DVD) but it's not shipping until April 5th. On April 5th, Corel will start shipping the boxed version. So you get to use it now via digital but get the DVD in April.

One thing to note is that you must have at least Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit) or higher. Coreldraw X7 or X8 won't work on XP...which makes me think their upgrade policy is a little flawed. I mean what's the point of trying to upgrade if you're still on XP as the main OS? You won't be able to run X7 or X8 and your upgrade path stops at X6.

But at least you "could" get an upgrade to X8 if you wanted to install Windows 7 or higher. Since Windows 10 is free (but full of spyware), might be worth doing I suppose if you don't mind being tracked and spied on...I personally hate Win 8, 8.1 and especially 10 and I had to retroactively neuter Windows 7 to rid it of all the backported spyware.

Thanks for the upgrade info.  I am not sure I want to go all the way to x8.  Especially after the above review.  

Might be wise, after I sent you that link previously to the Coreldraw forums, I did some poking around. Read this thread: http://community.coreldraw.com/talk/coreldraw_graphics_suite_x8/f/832/t/52371

Not good reviews thus far and it's only been a few hours since official launch! LOL!

I have x7 and it's OK but has some problems exporting EPS files. EPS files created in x7 won't import into x4 or older versions but EPS files created in x6 will. I also have problems with SVG files created with x7. They don't display correctly when viewed in a browser or with Adobe Illustrator. Some shapes show as filled when they shouldn't be.

Could you send me an EPS file created with x8 so I can test compatability with older versions? If it's not too much trouble I would also like an SVG file so I can test rendering in Adobe Illustrator.

EPS PS2, PS3 and SVG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34207516/testeps2.eps

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34207516/testeps3.eps

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34207516/testsvg.svg

• Like 1

I'll check those out soon and update.

Corel isn't the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to svg.  If I want cleaner svg I always use Inkscape in the mix, exporting then importing to inkscape then saving as svg.  That might also work for you eps problem.

The x8 EPS files are the same and will not import into x4 or older versions. It sucks because whenever I need to send an EPS file to someone I have to open it in x6 and then export it again to get a backwards compatible EPS version. If x7 didn't handle fonts with ligatures better I wouldn't even use it and would stick with x6.

The x8 EPS files are the same and will not import into x4 or older versions. It sucks because whenever I need to send an EPS file to someone I have to open it in x6 and then export it again to get a backwards compatible EPS version. If x7 didn't handle fonts with ligatures better I wouldn't even use it and would stick with x6.

Try this one:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34207516/infromCDoutfromINK.eps

The last one imported into x4 just fine. It's something with the x7 and x8 EPS output that's not compatible with older versions. I have x6 also so i just have the extra step of importing it into x6 and then exporting from there to get a clean EPS. It would be nice to eliminate that extra step, too bad x8 is broken also.

Here is an example of the SVG problem I have. The SVG file does not display correctly within Adobe Illustrator, web browsers or Cricut Design Space. See example image below. I was hoping x8 would fix this problem. I have posted on the Corel Draw forums but got stonewalled.

post-35520-0-13418600-1458167124_thumb.j

Here is an example of the SVG problem I have. The SVG file does not display correctly within Adobe Illustrator, web browsers or Cricut Design Space. See example image below. I was hoping x8 would fix this problem. I have posted on the Corel Draw forums but got stonewalled.

attachicon.gifCorelSVG-1.jpg

Is this not a combining/paths "change direction" issue? I have had this blackness happen before. One or more of the nodes in your object are in the wrong direction (I can't explain what that means...I don't know why it occurs to be honest or how to control it). BUT, with the shape tool (F10) you can click on a node and find the REVERSE DIRECTION (Reverses the positions of the starting and ending node) and then recombine the object to get the flower shape WITH the little circles showing up.

Yeah that's what happens but only within those programs and only as SVG. It displays correctly within Corel Draw and the EPS version will open fine and display fine within Adobe Illustrator but once it's converted to SVG this happens. The only way to fix it is to break everything apart and rebuild it within Illustrator and then use Illustrator to make the SVG. I'm probably going to switch to Illustrator if I can find a good deal on a standalone version. None of the subscription junk.

This is a paths

Is this not a combining/paths "change direction" issue? I have had this blackness happen before. One or more of the nodes in your object are in the wrong direction (I can't explain what that means...I don't know why it occurs to be honest or how to control it). BUT, with the shape tool (F10) you can click on a node and find the REVERSE DIRECTION (Reverses the positions of the starting and ending node) and then recombine the object to get the flower shape WITH the the little circles showing up.

I think most vector programs default to the non-zero winding rule were as Draw defaults to even odd rule, I think.  If this is the heart of the problem reversing the subpaths can "fix" it as the winding score changes.  Also, on the fill dialog there is a fill winding option to tick, which can correct this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonzero-rule

If I get something like that which reversing subpaths won't fix, or there are too many to isolate, I go to Inkscape as the middle man to make something desirable in svg format.

• Like 2

Yeah that's what happens but only within those programs and only as SVG. It displays correctly within Corel Draw and the EPS version will open fine and display fine within Adobe Illustrator but once it's converted to SVG this happens. The only way to fix it is to break everything apart and rebuild it within Illustrator and then use Illustrator to make the SVG. I'm probably going to switch to Illustrator if I can find a good deal on a standalone version. None of the subscription junk.

Interesting...I wish I knew more about it to help you or why it occurs that way. I'd like to know myself. I honestly don't use SVG much because SignGo doesn't work with that format. SCALP or Make the Cut does I am familiar with though. One thing I never understood is the scaling issue with SVG (things seem to be about twice as small or bigger sometimes when importing into other programs and I haven't delved into that much yet). But that's another topic I'm sure has been answered on here before...so I'll go dig for the answer when I come across that behavior again.

One thing I know from experience is that I have had a hard time adapting to Illustrator (CS6). I have tried several times to learn Illy but always come back to Coreldraw and all it's annoying idiosyncrasies. So I wish you success if you go that route. I'm too invested in Coreldraw now to really fully move over. Too many files to convert and too many macros I'd miss using.

• Like 1

I think most vector programs default to the non-zero winding rule were as Draw defaults to even odd rule, I think.  If this is the heart of the problem reversing the subpaths can "fix" it as the winding score changes.  Also, on the fill dialog there is a fill winding option to tick, which can correct this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonzero-rule

If I get something like that which reversing subpaths won't fix, or there are too many to isolate, I go to Inkscape as the middle man to make something desirable in svg format.

Wow, thanks for that info! I had not even begun to contemplate that...I learned something new today! Though I do have to admit, I don't really understand it all... :-\

How the winding rule plays out with some boolean operations, (Weld, Union, Intersect, Trim, Back/Front Minus Front/back,) can effect results.  If you do one of these and aren't getting what you thought, try reversing the subpaths, or try it in Inkscape.

It's nice to know they're finally offering us old users an upgrade path (I'm still using X3). It's nice to know some of the problems, which they usually fix with service packs. Not nice to know that it doesn't support XP!

Not that I could afford it right now, but if anyone has it and could try installing in XP, it would be nice to know if it works. The newer Java's don't support XP any more but they do install and work. If X8 would work in XP, I might try to find a way to upgrade...