Sign in to follow this  
Wildgoose

ARRGG! Appliance woes

I have decided that the only people less trustworthy than used car salesmen are appliance repair people! Old fridge, don't want a new one just yet. Tying to keep it going. No mister repair man it wasn't low on freon it was actually the evaporator fan.  Oh yeah I figured that out on my own a couple days after you left with my money... #$!>"*&$%^#

Just had to vent!  

• Like 3

I used to do appliance repair but was too honest and couldn't make any money. You are right most of the guys I worked with (not all) were parts changers and didn't know how to diagnose the problem! Most of the time the owner doesn't care because all he sees is the bottom line whether you fix it or not!

Butch

• Like 3

I had my 5 year old GE OTR microwave start itself (empty) multiple times. I called up GE and they did nothing for me, even though it was a legitimate fire hazard. They asked if I wanted to have a repairman sent out on my dime.

I used it for a while, only turning on the circuit when necessary, but the touch panel died a few weeks later and cost just as much as the unit.

Appliances these days are basically not really meant to be repaired, except for washer machines and some components on a fridge.

Planned obsolescence mate.

• Like 2

I had a problem with the control board on my dryer and they wouldn't even sell me a replacement board without going thru a local repair tech. They sent the wrong control board and the tech didn't notice until it was installed. None of the settings matched the dial. I complained so they sent the correct part but it got lost by ups. I called again and they begrudgingly sent another board. It arrived and the tech repaired the dryer. It only took 3 weeks and $175. A few days later the lost board was delivered. A few months later the board failed again so I replaced it myself using the extra board. Like clockwork a few months later the same part failed yet again. The dryer went to recycling.

• Like 1