gcextreme

Graphtec Ce5000-60 Freezes

Every now and then, on a daily basis, at least 2 times a day, in the middle of a cut, my machine just stops, freezes.

Using USB to connect to the computer, its on a stand, attached...not in a carpeted room...

it just does it randomly...and i have to turn the machine off, cut off the wasted vinyl, and start again, and it will go fine for a few hours then randomly do it again.

Ive had this machine for over 3 years, and it just started doing this a few weeks ago.

It's just annoying

Next time it does that don't do anything but hit the enter button and see if it continues cutting?

Could be time for a new USB cable.....wiggle the wire... I had that problem  a couple of times and it took off again..  I had purchased a cheap one to replace a bad cable, it was 16 ft,,,  And also stopped... went back to 12 ft and never a problem..  But it was 99 cents FREE ship  LOL   Both cables.   12 ft still no problem a couple years now.   I keep back up cables.  They don't cost that much,,

• Like 1

Tried hitting Enter and it didn't do anything. 

It is like a 9-10 foot cable...may replace it next time i go to walmart...but i need at least 10' cuz the port for the usb on the cutter is on the far end from my computer desk work area so it has to be long.  This one is a High Speed 2.0 cable...will a 3.0 cable work for it or not?

Just some things to check in case a new USB cable doesn't fix the issue.

Have you routed some power cords near the USB cable recently?

If you're up against a shared wall, have your neighbors put in a new piece of equipment opposite your cutter?

Could it be a power issue like a voltage drop? 

Something in the cutter heating up. If this was happening you it shouldn't be as long for the second time as it was for he first after powering up.

USB 3.0 and 2.0 cables are not the same and are not interchangeable.

Got a new cable and its doing it again..now 4 times in a row..wasting alot of vinyl, this is annoying.

Still having issues with this...i think i may need to ground the machine to the frame? anyone done this and know what bolt/screw i should use?

Still having issues with this...i think i may need to ground the machine to the frame? anyone done this and know what bolt/screw i should use?

If you can find where the main ground wire connects to your machine ,just make an extension of that and ground it to any bare metal surface of your cutter, its what i did to my titan 2 just in case ,I wanted to stay ahead of any issues like that.otherwise just make a ground from the stand to the cutter to any metal screw or bolt, but make sure you have bare metal its touching.

Got a new cable and its doing it again..now 4 times in a row..wasting alot of vinyl, this is annoying.

Glen, in all the years I have never heard of a graphtec having static issues - ever - I believe because the stand it connected to the bare metal bottom of the cutter, the roll holder is metal, with metal bearings and the rods that hold the vinyl are stainless steel so a direct path to ground all the way - could it be your software?

• Like 1

If you can find where the main ground wire connects to your machine ,just make an extension of that and ground it to any bare metal surface of your cutter, its what i did to my titan 2 just in case ,I wanted to stay ahead of any issues like that.otherwise just make a ground from the stand to the cutter to any metal screw or bolt, but make sure you have bare metal its touching.

Yea i dont have a clue what screw to use on the cutter tho.

Glen, in all the years I have never heard of a graphtec having static issues - ever - I believe because the stand it connected to the bare metal bottom of the cutter, the roll holder is metal, with metal bearings and the rods that hold the vinyl are stainless steel so a direct path to ground all the way - could it be your software?

I am using SignBlazer..same software i have been using since i started in 2012...this issue just started a few months ago..

Try a 30 day trial of Vinyl Master.... I also have never heard of a Graphtec freezing... You really need to be updating your design and cutting software.  This is why it will no longer be supported.  It is out of date. it is glitchy. Too many different versions and patches to even make it work. 

Just because its old...doesn't mean it just stops working...it doesn't have an expiration date for when it no longer can't work..

hell i still have a desktop running Windows XP and another one with Windows 98. 

I could care less if its no longer supported...its been working with the cutter for 4 years....no reason for it to just quit or start having random issues out of the blue

I also have XP... and have been running for 10 years...  Until you try a different software, you are only blaming the  cutter.. change things up and pin point the problem.  Separate them.

I know you tried a different usb so I am not sure where you would go to next  - I have had at least 6 graphtecs, 2-3 qe graphtec private labeled and 1 fc and have never had one freeze - been using graphtecs I would guess 6-7 years now.   so I am baffled  - with the path for static to discharge on the graphtecs unlike the plastic, rubber insulators used on other cutters it just doesn't seem logical that is it but I guess eliminate all possibilities in troubleshooting

It was mentioned earlier, but kind of died away. Is it possible it's a heat problem? Something in the plotter over heating and stopping the system?