Sign in to follow this  
Slvrfx

New from AZ

Hey everyone, just joined up coming from AZ. My names Cody and just wanted to get some info from people who know more about this than I do. In a few days I will be ordering a USCutter machine from Amazon and it seems to have good reviews and comes with all the stuff you need to get started.

24" USCutter Laserpoint Vinyl Cutter Bundle - Sign Cutting Plotter w/ Sure Cuts A Lot ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P2XE3W6/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_ULu0wbQAR2HDS'>https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P2XE3W6/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_ULu0wbQAR2HDS

My intent use is going to be making stickers/decals for cars,laptops,walls and whatever else this vinyl will stick to.

First question- what do you think of that setup in the link?

Second question- what am I allowed to make and sell without getting in trouble with copy right?

I would imagine I cant just start making Fox Racing decals or anything like that but what about things that are basically made but everyone sells them already? Obviously I'm going to come up with a lot of my own ideas but would like to know if there's anything I can make that is already available that I know people will buy.<br />

Thanks!!

Well many people still illegally sell copyrighted decals, just because you see it our there being sold, does not mean it's legal. Any name brand is basically copyrighted.and logos..  It is always best to create your own niche'  When you sell what everybody else sells it's just a pricing war to the bottom and no one makes money...Pretty much if you see it out there already,  it is copyrighted/trademarked. , If we all knew what the next biggest thing out there is that people would buy,,,we would all be rich...It's all trial and error...

And lose the word "sticker"  Very unprofessional.   Decals, vinyl graphics.....Kids get "stickers"  peel and stick,  it reminds me of "cheap" 

Haha thanks for the "sticker" info. I know i wouldn't wanna make Fox Racing decals or a "DeWalt" logo like I've seen in another thread in this forum. But one thing that I know sells is little phrases that goes on these little Honda Civic tuner cars and other tuners that say "illest" or "dapper" and such. How am I able to tell if I can just copy and paste something because it's not copyrighted or trademarked and how do i tell if I just can't? Like I said before I Will come up with my own designs, I'm just trying to get a grasp on what I can take that already made. And did you have any thoughts on that Amazon link?

Illest is a brand name  and you can go to the copyright and trademark library where most stuff is recorded..

http://illestbrand.com/

Most people don't care for the Sure cuts alot software.  Actually even UScutter is getting rid of it for Vinyl Master. software, which is included in this package. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Inch-Laserpoint-II-Vinyl-Cutter-Bundle-Sign-Cutting-w-Design-Cut-Software-/301776597518?hash=item464349720e:g:WsgAAOSwG-1Wvn9P

Hi Cody.

You want to see the types of things that are NOT copyrighted and you can sell?

Download right now SignBlazer ELEMENTS from this link-

http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/GetAttachment/190/24198

Then open it and look at the Library (DRAW menu) and you'll see a wide assortment of graphics that you can utulize and not be infringing.

You don't want to infringe on anything, do you?

Be aware, there's a category in the SBE Library called "Logos" which DOES contain copyrighted material, but the reason they're included is for signmakers to avail themselves of brand names which would be allowed WITH PERMISSION from the companies (usually for signs that are displayed by legally-entitled distributors or representatives of those companies).

For instance, I did a sign for a pizza shop and they used various soft-drink brands on it.

The local PEPSI bottling company authorized (in writing) this display of their soda names.

But my graphics had to be conforming to their current logos --- and SignBlazer has the old ones which I couldn't use.

Cody, trust me, once you start cutting stuff that's BRANDED (trademarked/copyrighted) then you're going down the wrong road.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for all your input! As I've stated, I do not wish to make brand name cuts, was just wondering how to tell if something is branded. Mostly will be all my own designs and just have to hope I'm good enough to make money at it. Also thanks for all the links that were posted with any extra info and other cutters. I'll definitely be coming back if I have any extra questions about this machine when I get it!

It does not have to be a brand name to be copyrighted/trademarked....Anything you see out there,  you did not create,  is copyrighted/or trademarked.. Some one else, other than you, created it. So it does not belong to you, and unless you are granted permission from the owner, you are not allowed to recreate it.   If you create an original design yourself, that is not copied from someone else's work,,as soon as you made it, it is your design and copyrighted to you...It does not have to be registered.    I have many designs that I made, that have nothing to do with any type of brand or logo, they are copyrighted to me, They were recorded to my computer, which dated the original design....  Now there are some items that you can use, because the copyrights have expired and they are in the PUBLIC DOMAIN library.

Hey everyone, just joined up coming from AZ. My names Cody and just wanted to get some info from people who know more about this than I do. In a few days I will be ordering a USCutter machine from Amazon and it seems to have good reviews and comes with all the stuff you need to get started.

24" USCutter Laserpoint Vinyl Cutter Bundle - Sign Cutting Plotter w/ Sure Cuts A Lot ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P2XE3W6/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_ULu0wbQAR2HDS'>https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P2XE3W6/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_ULu0wbQAR2HDS

My intent use is going to be making stickers/decals for cars,laptops,walls and whatever else this vinyl will stick to.

First question- what do you think of that setup in the link?

I overlooked this first part and concentrated on the second part.

In past threads, I've evaluated these "starter bundles" and offered my review of their contents. While there's some value in them, it's not a lot, money-wise.

This one seems OK, with the app tape roller, a small cutting mat, the picking/weeding set and the dozen 15-foot rolls of vinyl.

And those squeegees !!!

I would seriously consider asking USCUTTER to substitute Vinyl Master CUT software for the Surercuts thing.

That's what they're shipping now, and dropping the SCAL.

You can also go find a design seller that will sell you designs that you can cut and sell. Just be sure to read through the fine print because not all design sales are created equal either and some will get you in trouble. I recommend SignTorch.com He is a forum member and does fantastic work. He spells out what you can and can't do with his work and has a lot to offer. 

As for catch phrase decals you should use your imagination and you can come up with something that is new and may catch someones eye. I have better luck selling directly to people I know or bump into. Word starts to travel after you get your cutter up and running. Try giving a few cool pieces out to friends and family and let word of mouth work for you too. I also bought a heat press and cut Heat Transfer Vinyl (HTV) which turned into my niche. Good luck in your endeavor, this is a really exciting hobby/business.