Sign in to follow this  
tomknox

Cutter not recognized? Selecting port??

Hello,

Just bought a 14" MH-365, my os is windows 7, having to use the usb chord as I have no serial port on my laptop. I tried finding an adapter locally but had no luck, so I've set up everything (plotter, vinylmaster cut 4.0) went through all of the instructions etc, found my port number b002 etc, everything was going without a hitch. 

My computer recognizes the plotter and has a green check. I watch the video on how to cut here:

here: http://iifuture.org/vmtuts/getVMTut.php?key=vm_ht_set_cutter_usc&r=0

I've gone through the process trying to detect the port over and over, is there not a way to manually input my port number?? Maybe i'm just an idiot, I cannot figure this out to save my life! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Well first off do not just pick up any old USB to serial adapter  You will need a Tripplite Keyspan Adapter that is the brand name.And a null modem cable.    And 2nd make sure you changed the baud rate to 4800, that is required for MH cutters...

• Like 1

using the usb did you install the drivers for the internal usb connection usc has available for download? it is for an internal chipset that changes the usb port to serial inside the cutter (tends to not be the best chipset but keeps the price low)

Also try setting it to Direct COM which is easy to set up in the Vinyl Spooler. First make sure the cutter is switched on, has vinyl loaded and ready to cut a test file.

You can open the Vinyl Spooler from the File (menu) > Cut/Plot > Vinyl Spooler.

In the Vinyl Spooler, click on the:

- Connection tab (top right corner).

- Then in the Connection Method > Port Type, select Direct COM Port from the drop down.

- Next in the section directly below this, click Detect and follow the instructions in the wizard.

Note: Occasionally the Flow Control and Emulation may also need to be adjusted.

Guest tomknox

I've downloaded and installed everything that was recommended, in order.

I did also change the baud rate on the actual plotter, it will not allow me to choose 4800 baud rate in the vinyl spooler window.

I already had the port type selected to direct com port.

When i try to detect the port name the wizard just makes me cut the plotter on/off over and over but it never changes anything.

My computer recognizes the plotter under my devices and printers. At this point the only thing i can get it to do is draw a test star using the control panel with my pen carriage on paper, i do not have any vinyl right now and do not need any until i can get the plotter to communicate with my computer...

Why can i not manually enter my port name B002??? 

The wizard states:

Unable to detect your device.

If the system is unable to automatically detect your device, it may simply mean that it was always available in the list

Try to connect your device manually and perform a test cut to determine what connection is the correct one for your device.

How do i connect the device manually??

I also was having a similar issue this morning where my device was not detected.  I followed the instructions that VinylMaster provided (use Direct COM, then rerun the auto detect test).  That resolved my issue with my new device (SC 25").  My device manager also recognizes the device as COM4, so I think that did the trick for me.

Guest tomknox

If i buy this Tripp Lite adapter below will it eliminate the whole driver etc problems, is that correct??? I will basically be hardwired straight to the plotter correct?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=382968&gclid=CLL5g8rplcsCFYE8gQod7tQAlQ&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&Q=&A=details

Also, as mentioned above about the null modem cable, the package included a serial cable and usb cable. Is the serial cable a "null modem cable" because i don't see much difference in the two??

Thanks guys!

Tyler

Serial and null modem cable are wired different,,,,,,   Tripplite Keyspan Adapter above is correct and does have it's own driver.   The USB is connected to your USB port of your computer, with the Null modem cable connected to the connector end of Keyspan,  then other connector end to cutter. 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/1EE0DD8AF67922FA86256F720071DECF

• Like 1

Guest tomknox

Guest tomknox

Ten four, thanks for the help guys/gals,

I just thought a support forum here would be the way to go. I thought uscutter would have a few admin guys here on the forum etc? Log a ticket, it's starting to frustrate me a bit to say the least. I just need to cut a few simple logos to use with my airbrush work, I just assumed it would be easier than this, I was wrong lol

Thanks

Ten four, thanks for the help guys/gals,

I just thought a support forum here would be the way to go. I thought uscutter would have a few admin guys here on the forum etc? Log a ticket, it's starting to frustrate me a bit to say the least. I just need to cut a few simple logos to use with my airbrush work, I just assumed it would be easier than this, I was wrong lol

Thanks

usc staff seldom comes  on except to promote something from time to time - phone calls and internet tickets are about the only way to get them - we are just a bunch of volunteers that try to help each other here on a site hosted by USC

Guest ray

my cutter is not on the list

the demo version has options to find a cutter not on the list, But the one I paid for does NOT

cutter is a GRC-61

There are different versions of Vinyl Master.. UScutter version is for the cutters that they sell.  The Vinyl Master site has the all cutter version.  Where did you buy it from?   Contact Vinyl Master for help. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this