kboyte

vinyl peeling

So I installed a decal yesterday to the top front windshield of a truck.  I did this with white Orcal 651.  It wasn't cold yesterday but it was over cast.  I get a message this morning that some of the letters is falling off.  They sent me a pic.  It started raining sometime during the night and the windshield wipers pulled off some of the letters this morning.  Do you have any suggestions on why they would have peeled?  This was my first windshield.  I have installed on back glass with a wiper without problems.  May the glue did not have time to adhere well enough?:huh:  I will be replacing but for future reference I don't want this to happen again. 

Thanks for any advice in advance.

It could have been caused by a water repellant such as rainx. The temperature could have caused adhesive issues. I normally tell my customers to wait 72 hours before washing their vehicles to allow the adhesive to fully bond. I also try to avoid the wiper area entirely if possible.

• Like 2

I agree with Slice, At least 751, My money is on the rain-x being the issue.  I sometimes use a commercial glass stripper to clean off rain-x if it sounds like they might have used it. I think rain-x also even has their own product for breaking down the silicone. 

You probably shouldn't install them in the path of the wiper blades is my first thought, 2nd thought is vinyl needs a few days to cure after it's installed. I'm not a bit surprised it came off. 

thank you all for your responses.  I will check the rain-x issue then move to a higher grade vinyl if needed.  I don't keep over 651 in stock because its more expensive and I have never had and issue before although I have never installed on the front windshield always the back and I don't think people put rain-x on the back too much. 

I've done hundreds if not thousands of windshield banners with 651. The only times I've ever had issues is when the glass has something like rain x on it or wasn't properly cleaned. There was one exception with a windshield that had one area that no matter what we cleaned it with the vinyl would not adhere to that particular section and we ended up designing around it but 1 out of thousands isn't too bad.

• Like 2

thanks Jaybird, I will be redoing it soon.  I cleaned with alcohol but will be getting some Purple power to clean with also. 

I use oracal 651 all the time for that type of install ,even with wipers hitting it. I always use rapid tac prep before install and no issues as of today with the ones atleast a year old so far.. And i only use the "cheap dollar store paper towels" .The name brand ones leave a haze and or oil substance which will cause problems. i learned one time..