Sign in to follow this  
sco_dux

Double Cutting

So I am having issues with my cutter cutting my file twice and I don't know how to fix it. Every time I cut, it goes over each line twice, making the time for cutting twice as long as its supposed to be.

Is this normal? How do I fix this?

I have a brand new SC Series 24 inch cutter with SCAL3Pro as my software on an updated Mac computer.

It is usually caused because you have 1 layer of vector on top of another layer vector, So it cuts twice..,  Try deleting lines from the top vector, and see if there is another vector under it.. If so then delete the top vector,  Or make sure you don't have 2 passes selected in your cutting software.  I don't use SCALP, but this option is in other software...

Look at it in wire frame you will probably see what Carolyn is talking about

It is usually caused because you have 1 layer of vector on top of another layer vector, So it cuts twice..,  Try deleting lines from the top vector, and see if there is another vector under it.. If so then delete the top vector,  Or make sure you don't have 2 passes selected in your cutting software.  I don't use SCALP, but this option is in other software...

What do you mean when you say "2 passes"? In the cutting software itself? Or in Illustrator where I made my document? (Also, in other cutting software, what menu is "passes" located under?

And it is only one layer of vector so its super frustrating that I can't figure out what is going wrong...

Illustrator will sometimes create an object from an open space. This is common when you use the "merge" function in the pathfinder tool pallet. (I rarely use that tool for this reason, try using Union rather than Merge). What may be going on is that all the holes are actually unfilled objects. In the layers panel in AI look to see if you can see any unfilled objects in the stack. They will show as black outlined objects int he small preview there in the layers. Select one and see where it is (most likely in an open area. You can easily remove them by selecting one then use the select same fill color and delete them all at once. 

Another option to try is see if they are showing up in your cutting software as a separate color layer and be sure you do not have them selected. 

• Like 1

Illustrator will sometimes create an object from an open space. This is common when you use the "merge" function in the pathfinder tool pallet. (I rarely use that tool for this reason, try using Union rather than Merge). What may be going on is that all the holes are actually unfilled objects. In the layers panel in AI look to see if you can see any unfilled objects in the stack. They will show as black outlined objects int he small preview there in the layers. Select one and see where it is (most likely in an open area. You can easily remove them by selecting one then use the select same fill color and delete them all at once. 

Another option to try is see if they are showing up in your cutting software as a separate color layer and be sure you do not have them selected. 

This helped a lot, thank you!

What I found out was that when I imported the .pdf file into SCALP3, it had turned both the "fill" and "stroke" of my design into cutting paths and separate layers. I fixed it by going back into my AI file and got rid of the "stroke" on my object (also works other way around by eliminating the "fill" instead). It then only created one cutting path and layer in SCALP3 when I imported my new .pdf file.

Thank you!!

• Like 1

Most cutting software has an option to cut the same design 2 or more times,, This is mostly done for thicker materials, Too thick for the blade to cut through the first time,  So you would have the cutter make 2 or more passes to cut through it.