Sign in to follow this  
Woody61

lighted church sign substrate

I have to redo a roadside sign for my churc with Thier logo on the top then the slats for letters on the bottom. What substrate do yall use and where do you get it from? This is the first one I've ever attempted so I'm kinda lost. Thanks on advance.

If it's internally lighted, you need to use acrylic and translucent vinyl if you're doing any colors other than black.

Woody, what you're seeking is probably Lexan.

Some here will suggest acrylic, but Lexan is preferable (although more expensive)

You can order it from GRIMCO, and they'll also provide you with the changeable message board materials & letters.

Their catalogue item # 131MK will give you a set of 350 letters and numbers and a 3' high x4' wide backing (2 - 3'x2' boards with tracks permanently attached)  for about $130.

You don't say if it's double-sided (in which case, of course, you would need to multiply your quantity of both Lexan and trackboard sets)

• Like 1

Lexan (polycarbonate) is definitely stronger or at least more impact resistant however it will be more susceptible to yellowing over time. Other than cost that is one of the primary reasons to choose Acrylic (plexiglass) over polycarbonate sheeting. Both are going to work for you. I haven't done a lot of these but usually inform the customer of the differences and let them be involved with the choice. I had one who has a low sign that is well within striking distance of nearby pedestrians and Lexan would probably have been the choice I would have went with but he stuck with acrylic even though I was there to repair it after someone threw a rock and cracked it. 

Thanks for the help yall. it is internally lit and 2 sided. ill look in to both options.

Just remember one thing, woody.

Make sure you take into account the width of the retainers on the box.

In other words, when designing the sign, subtract whatever dimensions (several inches in from the edges) that are going to be hidden behind those metal strips.

• Like 2