PixelPusher

Having trouble with vinyl tracking? Tape 2 of these paper rulers on your cutter

When I was in IKEA sourcing out my media basket parts for another DIY I'm stumbling through, I saw they had stands all over the store with hanging meter stick rulers that are IKEA branded digitally printed on paper. Customers are free to use them to measure items in their showroom  when cruising around their store. They're free for the taking - I asked. I wouldn't take a whole pile of them in one go or anything but two here and there are perfectly acceptable according to the sales rep I was talking to and he encouraged it.

It dawned on me that I could use two of these freebies taped onto my vinyl cutter (one on the front of the cutter and one on the back - upside down so the numbers and measurements could be read easily while facing the front of the cutter, both properly measured and aligned of course) to assist in lining up vinyl on the cutter for consistent tracking. Simply align the front most part of the vinyl from the roll or scrap piece to the same ruler line on the back of the cutter's ruler line (both left edge and right edge) and you're more than likely going to be tracking straight. Do some feed tests to see just how accurate or far off your alignment is and adjust accordingly. If you wear these rulers out over time, just replace as needed.

They're also handy to quickly see if a scrap piece of vinyl you're wishing to use will fit a design you plan to be cut before you go through the hassle of setting it up. 

Checking the net, people do make an adhesive tape or transparent film type ruler too though for a more permanent and professional look for your cutter. A Bing Images Search shows adhesive ruler tape (Safe for work). An example of this is also attached to this thread. I don't know exactly where to buy this stuff but with some more Google searching, I'm sure one could obtain it.

post-96816-0-26930400-1455816972_thumb.j

post-96816-0-09141200-1455817201_thumb.j

• Like 2

Dont most cutter have lines you can use for lining up? I know on my old MH series had a ruler in the front, and on the Graphtec it has vertical lines to line up the vinyl. But this is also a free and great idea from IKEA lol 

Dont most cutter have lines you can use for lining up? I know on my old MH series had a ruler in the front, and on the Graphtec it has vertical lines to line up the vinyl. But this is also a free and great idea from IKEA lol 

Yes, there are lines on the front of my Copam CP-2500 too but it's not a ruler for measurement and the lines themselves are not as finely drawn as the marks on a ruler would be (more divisions). Also, on my cutter at least, there is no ruler on the backside and really, that's half the battle since aligning BOTH the front and the back to the same point on the ruler "should" allow for straight tracking. I think there should be two sets of alignment marks on the front of the cutter (one immediately after the cutting strip - so the substrate doesn't contact it directly and rub it off over time and the other further down on the front of the cutter as it is now on my device). And one set on the back (upside down so you can read it standing in front of the cutter). That gives you three points of alignment. If that doesn't help with tracking then I think the cutter has a bigger problem and most likely needs a service call.

Graphtec FC doesn't have any type of ruler front or back and wouldn't need one.  I look at the difference between edge of pinch rollers to the edge of vinyl  They should be very close to same distance from edge of vinyl.    Like driving a car,, You wouldn't have 1 wheel in further than the other.or you would be veering 1 way or the other..  Wheels are the same distance apart..And I always prefeed for the entire order   My cutter is 30" only has 2 pinch rollers and tracks great.

• Like 1