Dakotagrafx

new spam tactic

just got 3 emails from a spammer that didn't post on the site - this is a new one.  they got on somehow but went away as soon as they sent those spam  messages . . . anyone else get these yet?

Probably everyone got them.  Sophisticated robot spammer, apparently.

Кредитная карта с доставкой на дом от Тинькофф

he only lasted a minute but trying to figure out how he got by the spam filter as that ip is on the list . . . 

well that pretty much confirms it - glad we got it early - that one worked quickly to exploit the opportunity.  for a minute lol

• Like 1

3 also. I knew you'd wack that mole pretty fast. You would think if they were sophisticated enough to get through they would know they needed to write in English. 

Ha ha ha, Russified...I like it! New word of the day.

;) I learned that word from reading Russian sign websites through Google Translate.

3 also. I knew you'd wack that mole pretty fast. You would think if they were sophisticated enough to get through they would know they needed to write in English. 

he might have made lit longer if he had avoided the mod lol

• Like 2

How are they getting emails?  

I didn't think emails addresses showed up in your profile.

mine just came in PM but it wouldn't be hard to have a spider that went thru the profiles to copy email addresses I would think - if they are that good

Doesn't hurt to change your password either...just saying. If they can harvest emails in profiles they can probably harvest passwords, especially if they're just stored in MD5 format (or worse - plain text) in a database as they often are using PHP/MySQL based forum websites like this. http://www.zdnet.com/article/md5-password-scrambler-no-longer-safe/

(article from back in 2012 after 6.46 million LinkedIn passwords in simple MD5 algorithm were hacked. Oh and MD5 has been broken since 2004).

Doesn't the board software send out an email when you get a PM?

You can turn that feature off.   I have mine off.