GagirlRN2

Graphtec CE6000-60 HELP

I have a Graphtec6000-60 and it has been doing great for about 8 months.  All of the sudden it said that the cutter was not connected when trying to cut something through CM3.  So I tried a few different things.  I uninstalled, reinstalled.  Tried to do a firmware update but it says to power off, then on, load media, press the right and left arrow buttons together, i did that and all it did was beep at me.  Now, when i try to send something to cutter, the CE6000 does not show up at all.  I have tried to call Graphtec 2 days in a row and have heard nothing. 

I tried that too  :(  

I ordered a serial port today just in case it is the regular USB port, not sure if that could be it or not.

Can anyone try with a different computer?

If that works you may have to address the cutter differently. IE: USB2 instead of USB. If that's the cause then plugging it into a physically different port wouldn't change anything.

Do you have any other cutting software installed? I tried vinyl master and found out my MC3 wouldn't recognize the cutter afterwards after I uninstalled VM MC3 recognized it.

I think I may have a bad USB port on the Graphtec.  I have tried different computers with different operating systems, as well as different USB cables.  We had a lightening strike a week or two ago, and I heard a pop but never could find what it might have been.  Now I discover that my Graphtec is not working as well as the Epson sitting next to it.  Both were connected using USB, but when I switched the printer to the optional ethernet connection, my computer was able to connect to it. That's the only thing that makes me think it's USB related as all other options have been exhausted.  I can't get Graphtec to respond to any email as of yet and I called the not so local service guy and he is checking on a price for a new board.

Update: $508 for the board.  Sounds like it might be cheaper to buy a cheap laptop and connect via Serial cable.  I wish I had a way to test that option.  Does anyone know if the Keyspan adaptor would work?  I have one of those from my old setup. 

Not sure, but to me sounds like maybe your computers updated, and you need to install the newest driver.

I use Macs..... drivers are not a common issue, but I have a friend coming by with a PC laptop to test the USB port.  Graphtec finally responded and the tech said if it doesn't work on a PC or a mac via USB the problem will be with the machine itself, i.e. the USB port.  Unfortunately, it is hard soldered to the Motherboard so the entire piece needs to be replaced.  If I can't get the RS-232C port to work via the keyspan adaptor, then I am looking at a $700 repair.

Did that happen with it being plugged into a surge protector?  Even though mine is, I still unplug my cutter when I hear storms, or lights flicker. or when I am away longer than a day. 

• Like 2

Did that happen with it being plugged into a surge protector?  Even though mine is, I still unplug my cutter when I hear storms, or lights flicker. or when I am away longer than a day. 

Same here Mz Skeeter always better to be safe than sorry.

Yes, it was plugged in, but you are right, it's always better to be safe than sorry.  After 26 years in the game this is the first time I have lost any equipment.  Now, I'm not so sure it was electrical, because the other printer with what I thought was a bad USB port as well, will work when plugged into a PC.  However, the PC would not recognize the cutter, so that lends a little more credence to the dead USB port on the cutter.  My plan is to try the RS232C port, but there is some confusion as to whether a standard cable will work or if it has to be a Graphtec cable.

Ca anyone confirm if it has to be a Graphtec cable?  The Graphtec guys says it does, but their authorized repair center says any cable should work.  I'm trying to exhaust all possibilities before committing to a huge repair bill.

A Tripplite Keyspan Adapter requires a null modem cable....Should not be some special Graphtec cable.   My cutter just states RS232C..  and it looks like it is 25 pin. 

Looks like mine would use this with the Keyspan Adapter ( used as example only)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10ft-long-DB9-FEMALE-DB25-pin-MALE-Serial-Null-Modem-Data-Cable-Nul-wired-Cord-S-/301883486509?hash=item4649a8712d:g:guAAAOSwEK9T4owt