MarinaD

Pickup installation

Hello! I really need some help. I have to install decals on trucks on the whole passenger side, starts from the top goes on window and to the bottom. I tried today to install on the first pickup and i completely messed it up. The part where window ends and door starts kind of has rubber on it or something and I don't understand what is the right way of application on that spot. It all wrinkled and would not stick because it was too tight. So now I wonder what people do? To cut decal in that spot and to apply like two? but what if I cut it wrong, I believe that experienced installers know how to do that..... 

I would really appreciate any suggestions!

Thank you!

I believe that experienced installers know how to do that..... 

Very accurate statement. Experience only comes one way. We can give you ideas but they are only things we have learned through doing. There are things that you can only learn by being there. It's no biggie to cut a graphic at a door or window. You nailed an important point that it can be hard to know where to cut. I shoot for the middle so I can hopefully not miss the hole once I get it all on. If possible don't cut it until you have it installed then just slice through the gap or trim along the window etc...They make some special tools for wrap applications that can help although for cut vinyl I don't think you need them as much. I usually trim away at all door or window trims especially if they are rubber. The visual gap this makes will not be noticed. 

Vehicles have a tendency to be uneven which translates into trouble for masked vinyl. <#anothermutherfreakincrease!#@$%^&!!!!> You will want to pay special attention to body contours and develop a strategy of attach that will allow you to work through it in the direction that will be the most likely to succeed. If there are open parts to your graphic like words or separated designs you can use a hinge on a side top or bottom and slice up the app tape after making the hinge and put down one letter or group of letters at a time. (see youtube for vinyl hinge methods) The beauty is that as you make a few mistakes you get more practice cutting and weeding. A pic of the graphic and vehicle might help with more specific tips for application. 

Oh yeah, Always use a good high quality cast vinyl like Oracal/Orafol 751 or 951 or similar other brand. Cast vinyl is far far superior to calendared. If you are unfamiliar with these terms you need to do some reading on the differences and their intended applications. 

• Like 2