jphphotography

Does everyone experience undercut on a PCut using SB?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and have been spending a lot of time reading through before posting this question. 

Every post I've come across regarding unfinished cuts comes down to SB not having an overcut option, people always suggest increasing offset and the original poster comes back saying that doesn't work (and I agree because it didn't work for me either). Now what I'm wondering is whether there is anyone out there using a PCut 630 with SB that is NOT experiencing this undercut issue? So far the evidence suggests no, however when everything is working correctly people don't tend to post to forums.

To clarify what I mean by undercut, basically shapes are not always closed, the end point is always 0.5mm+1mm short of the starting point on a circle for instance. On large objects this isn't as big of a deal but when shapes get down to under an inch this can make weeding a real pain.

None of the posts I was able to find seemed to be solved, the suggests/solutions were to switch to different software or to buy a non-value cutter. I'd just like to know if anyone has actually made this work, if so I'll know my struggle is worth it :)

Extra info:

Cutter PCut 630 USB model (not sure if CR or CT)

Software SignBlazer in trial mode (have only ever used this software so I've always experienced this issue)

Tried adjusting offset from 0.0 to 1.0 in 0.1 steps, gap remains unaffected while corners begin to overshoot.

No play in blade holder and pinch rollers don't appear to be slipping, also blade rotates freely in holder.

Can't afford expensive software, trying to get inkscape working but so far unsuccessful.

Mz SKEETER I'll give that a try, most of the demo software I'd come across seemed too crippled to even use so I possibly overlooked this one.

As for speed, yes I tried going down to 20 (from 40) and it didn't help at all, any slower and it would take hours to cut :) A lot of people mentioned that the more expensive cutters have some sort of overcut built into their firmware but the value ones don't. I'll try out signcut and post back, I was hoping for a cheaper option if possible. I've been working with inkscape for years so all I need out of the software is the ability to place and cut not to design.

Thanks

SB only offers blade offset. No overlap or any such setting...

I use SB with my PCut CT900 and never had such problems. Maybe that's why noone mentions it?

I can't help further because I never had the problem.

Maybe make sure which model you have and the correct model selected in SB? The CR model IS different than the CT!

@ Mz SKEETER, when I'd looked up Flexicut the cheapest was far more expensive than that ebay listing ($395.00 US). Also that listing is for Flexi Cloud but no indication of what the term is, typically any cloud application is a subscription service, the pricing I was able find shows $59.99/mo. I've always been hesitant to buy any software off of ebay. I'll still see if I can find a demo to try though. Also, I was busy last night after work and didn't get a chance to try out the demo of signcut so nothing to report yet.

@BearlyRich, you are correct there are no overlap or overcut settings. I also double checked and I have the CT-630 and would have verified that when installing the software, I just couldn't remember off the top of my head as I was posting this from work and didn't have access to my plotter. That's interesting to know it works with your CT-900 though since the only difference should really be the software would then know the width. To confirm you're running SB on your CT900? Maybe you could screenshot some of your configuration settings and let me know your cutter settings? I'm running speed at 40 and press is at 95, the blades I have are in a case that looks like this and I have my blade sticking out about 1/64". I've also ordered a replacement cutting strip as mine appears to have some deeper cuts in places, this might also explain why I'm seeing worse undercuts on some shapes and not others, might just be where that cut takes place along the strip.

s-l1000.jpg

Flexistarter Cloud is not a subscription.  They send you the activation number code, Instead of it having a USB dongle. Pretty much like downloading Sure Cuts A Lot and using their activation code .

The software is downloaded from the SAI  (Flexisign) website (Cloud)  There are different versions of Flexisign products with Flexistarter being the lowest. Flexisignpro being the highest at about  $3,000   Subscriptions are for the higher end Flexisign products, as it it very expensive to purchase.

The  Flexistarter   USB dongle version can still be purchased, and this includes all the drivers, not just Pcut..but it is shipped from Down Under,  Still cheaper than $395,,  US..Dongle version has the user ID and password in the Usb dongle to make it work.   Hard to find dongle versions much anymore..  It has all gone to Cloud.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flexi-10-Vinyl-Plotter-Cutter-Cutting-Software-Flexi-Starter-SAI-Windows-PC-/350783189497?hash=item51ac4eb1f9:g:K6QAAOSwg3FUfUBo

There are no settings that will be exact model to model, machine to machine.. You will have to tweek your machine to get the best cuts.

This is how to set your blade correctly.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

The weird thing is I can't find mention of Flexistarter anywhere on the SAI website, also all the reseller websites I can find (uscutter included) show it as either out of stock of no longer available. Oddly my local print shop said the cheapest version they can get is $1200CAD. I would prefer not to buy off ebay if at all possible but should it come to that I'd like to try a demo first. I might have to wait a bit anyway for the Canadian dollar to bounce back :)

As for the blade depth, it appears I've been doing it right as I've done both steps you suggest (outside the holder and in machine). When I first got the machine (used) the blade was way out and it was in the front holder, I'm not sure what that person was cutting but before I ran it the first time I followed the user manual and put it into the holder in the rear position (closest to the rollers). 

Thanks for all the info!

It could be problems with your cutting strip.

Flexistarter is only sold by their distributors.. It used to be sold all the time for around $99-129...with Usb dongle.On Ebay..by their distributors.  That is where I have gotten mine.   I still pick up used Flexistarter with USB dongle if I can find them on Ebay. Have picked up a few for $50-70,, There is not a demo. Didn't know you were from Canada,  Just had a guy on here a few weeks ago from Canada,, He said the Cloud version would be the cheapest, as their is no customs on a download. .I showed him what I showed you, and he said that is the cheapest he had ever seen.

UScutter used to sell it cheap also, added to the price of a cutter..I think it was $99.00  ..But I believe Flexi made them raise the price to the regular retail. of $395. There are several Flexi products

http://www.uscutter.com/Flexi

Signwarehouse also sells their version of rebranded Flexistarter,  which is called LXI Apprentice.

You might be happy with Sure Cuts A Lot,  I don't know.

Anyone use Vinylmaster Cut? It looks like there is a trial available for that too so I think I'll give that a shot as well. The price is more in my justifiable range, I'm not looking at doing tons of paid jobs on this machine, just a little side work here and there for my employer or friends. I've got a busy couple days so I might not get a chance to do this until the weekend, I'll post back with any discoveries I make.

Anyone use Vinylmaster Cut? It looks like there is a trial available for that too so I think I'll give that a shot as well. The price is more in my justifiable range, I'm not looking at doing tons of paid jobs on this machine, just a little side work here and there for my employer or friends. I've got a busy couple days so I might not get a chance to do this until the weekend, I'll post back with any discoveries I make.

Be careful.  the UScutter version is not for a Pcut.  Which ever you purchase, make sure it includes the drivers for your machine.

This software will work with the following cutters: *

• USCutter Series MH, SC, Laserpoint II
  • USCutter Series Table Titan, Titan, Titan 2 & Titan 3 requires the Titan Edition software available here.
  • Graphtec CE Series, FC Series
  • Mimaki CG Series
  • Roland GX Series
  • Summa D, FX ,T

Be careful.  the UScutter version is not for a Pcut.  Which ever you purchase, make sure it includes the drivers for your machine.

This software will work with the following cutters: *

• USCutter Series MH, SC, Laserpoint II
  • USCutter Series Table Titan, Titan, Titan 2 & Titan 3 requires the Titan Edition software available here.
  • Graphtec CE Series, FC Series
  • Mimaki CG Series
  • Roland GX Series
  • Summa D, FX ,T

The US Cutter version is not officially supported for a PCut, but it will work using the MH drivers.   I've used it with no problems at all.

$125 is the current VM LTR pricing, and that software is KILLER.  It has 3500 clipart library (ready-to-cut objects) and a very nice vectorization engine.

I use the VM CUT (basic) with the new LPII machine I bought a few weeks ago, and it's a very enjoyable and easy-to-learn program.

Disclaimer --- I am still clinging to SignBlazer because I LOVE the cartoon-like interface, and I know where everything is located like the back of my hand, but every time I open VM to accomplish a project, I say to myself -- "This is the day I'm OUTTA SB"  but then I'll go right back to it for the next project.

How can I wean myself away from SBE?

Any ideas?

(apologies in advance for thread hijack)

Edited by slice&dice
  • Like 1

Hi JP,

I have had my creation Pcut over 10 years. I originally bought it to cut spray masks for my wife who is an airbrush artist. I have also cut decals and a few signs. I never really got into sign making or real art work. SB has always worked with out any problems all shapes seem to cut fine and weed pretty well. Now I have started doing small jobs for friends and family. The Pcut and SB combo still work fine (actually I am surprised at how well the cutter has worked all these years with out any problems). I only have weeding problems with very small letters ( less then 3/8") or small complicated decals. I always use a 60 deg blade and have to change the pressure sometimes when I change from mask to vinyl. I am not very software savvy so I really can't offer much help, sorry.

Guess I am one of the lucky ones

Mike 

I ran a pcut for over 6 years only on signblazer- i think you issue may be offset. Mine was like .35 , .32 (.032 cant remember). or something like that for a 60 degree blade.