Sign in to follow this  
JLS Design

Chrome Vinyl

I have a customer who wants a large chrome decal for the back window of their truck.  So as I'm doing research on all the kinds out there, I was curious if, or who here, has anyone used the Oracal 351 chrome?  Is there a little bit better of an option available by chance?  Anyone have any experience with the Griff brand?  Just looking for some feedback so when I make the purchase I'm getting my money's worth.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts. 

I have used 351, actually just cut a decal about an hour ago with it. Stuff is thin, and very brittle. Scratches very easily. Lighten up on the force and take it slow. Looks great, but does NOT conform very well. Don't expect to get longer than 1-2 years on it.

Avery chrome is what I use.. Thicker vinyl , for flat or a slight curve, it's a poly vinyl..I think all chrome scratches easy.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of using it either, but the customer wants a chrome logo of theirs on the back window.  I'll look at the Avery, thanks for the tip Mz SKEETER.

I'm not a fan of using it either, but the customer wants a chrome logo of theirs on the back window.  I'll look at the Avery, thanks for the tip Mz SKEETER.

Your welcome.. I have made big detailed designs just fine with the Avery chrome.. Just have to add force higher than regular vinyl.

your limited to his 12" size but this is a FDC coburn chrome that I have used for years http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-X-50yd-CHROME-MIRROR-sign-vinyl-/381532055107?hash=item58d5152643:m:mymBJ3IkoxAMs6iJwdk7dvQ - like others said it scratches easy and is not good for dompund curves - I haven't tried the Avery yet that skeeter uses but maybe next roll

351 is so thin I'd say it more like a foil with adhesive. The Creative Films. a.k.a. Griff, is great. I use it for rear window decals for a local Ford dealership. Thousands with no issues or complaints so far.

• Like 1

I was reading about the Griff material.  May look more into that as well. 

As I read the post, it's apparent to me that I'll be clear how easy the chrome is to scratch, and the mention the life span of the vinyl.

Maybe if you use a UV laminate it will help with the scratching

and fading too.

Can you laminate chrome vinyl for scratch protection?

you can but it won't be as shiny