Sign in to follow this  
ddgraphix

Customers looking for a graphic

I have lots of customers asking me for the Florida gators logo. I see many of the, being cut by other people and wanted to know if that a copyright issue or where can I obtain it?

I wonder if using ANOTHER alligator character would be a violation of their copyright?

sticker,220x200-pad,220x200,ffffff.u1.jp

You'll make quite a stain when they crush you for copyright infringement. Good luck with that.

Got to love the smart ass answers. I'm here just trying to make my mark in the vinyl sign business.

As a noob, maybe it's just your job to sit there and absorb what we're telling you, without so much as a whimper.

You're welcome.

http://www.identity.ufl.edu/licensing/

Had your initial question been this:

I have lots of customers asking me for the Florida gators logo. I see many of the, being cut by other people and wanted to know if that a copyright issue?

rather than this:

I have lots of customers asking me for the Florida gators logo. I see many of the, being cut by other people and wanted to know if that a copyright issue or where can I obtain it?

You might have received a response that was a little more serious in nature. You can't expect us to believe that you didn't know it was trademarked/copyrighted. A simple Google search would have provided the answer in a matter of seconds. If you honestly didn't know it was copyrighted/trademarked, then you may want to step back and reevaluate how you are running your business, especially when dealing with "lots of customers".

I assumed that it was registered as a copyright but I was making sure I didn't  make the mistake. That's all I was making sure of. Thanks for your help.

I think he was asking where he can obtain the license to use it. 

dd -  You will have to talk with the administration. I can tell you this, when I was a greenie I tried to obtain a similar license when one of my kids when to college. Her college basically told me if I wasn't going to produce many thousands of dollars worth then they would not even consider messing with me. I would also need to set up an extravagant reporting system that would track sales and use of the logo etc... I was just looking to build a couple for my kids. They went on to explain that if I could actually build my own for my own use I was not violating their copyright so I felt better about that and made a hoodie for my daughter. 

Just so you know, this is actually an extremely friendly forum with very little actual flaming that goes on. About the only topic that will really get the dander up is copyright and trademark issues. Most of us feel that as graphic designers (in one form or other) we have a moral and ethical charge to protect our copyright as well as those of others so it's kind of a touchy subject.  

• Like 6