Sign in to follow this  
cswinkler

USB Port Gone Bad trying to use the Serial Port

My USB port seems to have gone bad.  I can't get Signcut to communicate with the cutter.  So, I purchased a USB to RS232 cable.  That doesn't work either.  Does anyone know if I need to download a new driver or anything for the RS232 to work?

Many think that because a cutter has a usb port, it is a usb connection.  It's illusionary in some regard as the usb port on the cutter is often a usb to serial adaptor which connects internally to a serial port inside the cutters case.  In this case, you need a driver for that adapter which works.  Many are FTDI devices.  Here is their driver page:  http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm.  Somehow you should be able to via a manual or something verify it is a FTDI device.  I don't think installing the driver will cause any harm if it is not, but it my be comforting to know before hand.  So it is worth a shot as so many cutters usb port use those drivers, especialy US cutters.

I have the Driver installed that worked with the usb cable.  Just now it's not communicating with the computer so I thought maybe a Serial cable would work to no luck.  Thanks for the info.

"So, I purchased a USB to RS232 cable.  That doesn't work either."

Reminding you that the TRIPPLITE Keyspan (brandname) adaper is preferable (and may be the ONLY solution) to all other brands of USB-serial adapters.

I, too, am in the same boat as OP. Before I buy a new I/O board, I tried buying the TrippLite Keyspan and connecting to the serial port, but I couldn't get it to work. @signyouup, you're saying that I need a null modem cable if I'm trying to use a keyspan connected to the LP2's serial port, correct? I'll have to try that, I suppose. I'm pretty sure I have a straight serial cable. I'll double check when I get home from work.

The faulty I/O board is a real pisser. The usb connector was crappy since day 1. Of course, it didn't actually go bad until after my warranty expired. I'm not too bent out of shape over the $50 price tag for a new one, it's the $10 shipping charge tacked on that gets me. Throw it in a USPS padded envelope for under $3...

So, I got the LPII working again last night. It was, in fact, because I had a pass through cable and needed a null modem cable. I had two pass through serial cables laying around, so I cut one and crossed wires 2 & 3 to DIY my own null modem cable, and what do you know, IT WORKED! Sure beats spending $60 to replace the I/O board. And the communication between the PC and the cutter seems to be faster.

So, my current set up, if anyone else wants to know...

LPII connected with a null modem serial cable to a TrippLite Keyspan usb plugged into my PC running Windows 10. Currently using SCALP3 for the cutter, and Adobe Illustrator CS5 for design work.