So i called USCutter yesterday to check on some material to order and was asked about my titan2  28" that i bought in Dec, 2014.  When i bought my titan 2 new it was  $1400.00.  so the USCutter rep said that they would give me full value exchange for upgrading if i was interested in getting a new 53" cutter with vinylmaster software etc..I would just have to pay the difference which would be around $1300.00 for the larger cutter.I have had to turn down a couple jobs since owning my 28" , so being offered like this to get a larger machine made me think....What do you suggest? Thank you for your advice..Dwayne

My Summa is a 30" machine and I probably have about 1 job a year where it is needed. Even those it's just more convenient to cut one wide swath. I have only had 1 job where it was totally necessary which was some translucent on a backlit sign. Not trying to talk you out of it or anything. I just tile them when I get something big. Easier to handle anyway than some massive hunk. 

• Like 3

Remember there is a big difference between wants and needs. do you really need it? do you only have one cutter? If you are buying a new cutter you should look at having a back-up cutter.

• Like 1

My Summa is a 30" machine and I probably have about 1 job a year where it is needed. Even those it's just more convenient to cut one wide swath. I have only had 1 job where it was totally necessary which was some translucent on a backlit sign. Not trying to talk you out of it or anything. I just tile them when I get something big. Easier to handle anyway than some massive hunk. 

And tiling is when you slightly over lap to make it a whole design?    if thats what it is then i thought about that but then kinda didnt like the idea of having seams in my work...granted if its installed correctly there would be no issues.But i guess im a picky person when it comes to my work lol.. I hate even seeing the tiniest bubble, drives me nuts even tho i know it will dissappear lol... being abe to do larger non tiled(seamed) jobs will let me advertise i can and will bring in more work.I have the oppurtunity to large scale designs on horse trailers here and this would help step up my game to more money and more customers..

Remember there is a big difference between wants and needs. do you really need it? do you only have one cutter? If you are buying a new cutter you should look at having a back-up cutter.

I only have one cutter ,and it is more for needs definately. i thought about having a backup cutter but no need yet,my titan 2 has performed so well and i know things can happen at anytime , its a gamble not having one,but i will...its only myself doing this..

Are you wanting to do a single graphic that is larger than your machine can handle, or just a large sign? Most signs can be broken into smaller pieces and put together on site with no worry of seams. It'd be kind of like layering, put some alignment pieces on each section then just line them all up as you build the sign and pull off the alignment pieces once done.

It's not like they are in stock any way so no rush on your decision ETA on delivery is the 27th. I have been waiting to pull the trigger on another one myself.

have you ever tried to apply app tape to a graphic that wide and long - then try to apply it - I sold the big cutter and do things in segments where there are breaks - makes it much easier to handle and apply - just my 2c - opinions will vary

• Like 4

And tiling is when you slightly over lap to make it a whole design?    if thats what it is then i thought about that but then kinda didnt like the idea of having seams in my work...granted if its installed correctly there would be no issues.But i guess im a picky person when it comes to my work lol.. I hate even seeing the tiniest bubble, drives me nuts even tho i know it will dissappear lol... being abe to do larger non tiled(seamed) jobs will let me advertise i can and will bring in more work.I have the oppurtunity to large scale designs on horse trailers here and this would help step up my game to more money and more customers..

Tiling is not all that much fun but with a quality cutter everything lines up nice. I tried to do this with my old P-Cut and nothing ever lined up perfect. (that was a 48" machine, I downsized when I upgraded) If you are worried about seams and bubbles wait until you try a 48" monster. You will either have to invest in a full width roll of app tape (and enjoy getting it on without wrinkles) or double up with overlaps in your tape which often can cause bubbles so it's not a perfect world. I try to lap 1/4" so it doesn't separate. Once in a while you'll have to take an xacto blade and trim some little sliver that didn't line up perfect but you usually can't see it unless you are looking for it. 

have you ever tried to apply app tape to a graphic that wide and long - then try to apply it - I sold the big cutter and do things in segments where there are breaks - makes it much easier to handle and apply - just my 2c - opinions will vary

Amen

• Like 1

Wildgoose , i actually had the joy of trying to mask with just a 24 inch,and what i taught myself was to apply reverse.... I lay the transfer tape down upside down and tape the corners with a little snug. I then grab my vinyl and slighty bend it in the middle and gradually let it fall then squeegee it ,came out perfect...

Wildgoose , i actually had the joy of trying to mask with just a 24 inch,and what i taught myself was to apply reverse.... I lay the transfer tape down upside down and tape the corners with a little snug. I then grab my vinyl and slighty bend it in the middle and gradually let it fall then squeegee it ,came out perfect...

Try that with a 12 ft long piece

• Like 4

I currently own a LP24, and this discussion is making me re-think the want (because it's definitely not a need), of a larger cutter. [In a totally good way!]

I've babied my cutter as much as I possibly could, and probably took far more care in moving in from one house to another, than any other possession I own. That being said, it's over 10-years old, and it's about time that I start to think about a back-up. I was considering just one size up, but thinking about the whole cumbersome app tape of large pieces, I need to rethink this. My "go to" CYA for larger pieces is, "Professional installation not included," and most people (and companies) are okay with that. Just about everyone and their mother knows how to put on a cut vinyl decal here, since it seems to be a staple for almost everything that is motorized and moves here (cars, mopeds, golf carts, go karts, fork lifts - decals everywhere!).

Thank you for this discussion, it's certainly shed some light on some aspects that did have the forethought to have myself.

• Like 4