Sign in to follow this  
Benr98

Using a fax with NO phone line??

Does anyone know of a fax machine/scanner or all in one that can scan a document from the fax to the computer so I can send it out as a pdf file?? I want to be able to do this all with OUT a phone line.  I believe it's in the works, but don't know if there is such a machine out now.

According to Brother, all their MFC's still need a phone line!  :-

thanks

Jenny

Does anyone know of a fax machine/scanner or all in one that can scan a document from the fax to the computer so I can send it out as a pdf file?? I want to be able to do this all with OUT a phone line.  I believe it's in the works, but don't know if there is such a machine out now.

According to Brother, all their MFC's still need a phone line!  :-

thanks

Jenny

As long as you can get something to scan it in (like a flat-bed scanner), you can use a free PDF writer (cutepdf is one) that you can print the scanned image to if there is nothing built-in to the scanner software to do the same thing.

I use a Canon PIXMA flat scanner.

Like Cyber said, if you're only looking to scan an image and then convert to .pdf, then you don't need a phone line hooked-up to your all-in-one. There are all-in-one's that are strictly a print/copy/scan without the fax part. However, if you're looking to receive a fax, then scan it, then you definitely need to have a fax machine or an all-in-one with the fax feature hooked-up to a phone line.

There are also some online services that act like fax services. People "fax" to a phone number, but it's received electronically and then sent to your email (I would guess as an image). You gotta love technology.

Thanks Haumana,  I have an internet fax service for receiving faxes, as my hubby receives many every day.  I'm checking into the same kind of service for sending as well.  I'm tired of pay my phone company.  Since I have satellite internet I don't need a phone line for anything else.

Jenny

I have an online fax service as well.  For sending faxes I just scan the document and attach it to the fax.  The folks that receive the faxes can't tell it was done threw an online service.

We use electronic faxes.  Saves a ton on paper. 

Get a fax modem, (bout 30 bucks) put it in your computer and use it like a printer.  The "Fax" option should come up when you go to print a document.  It is really easy to set up through Microsoft wizard.  You don't have to pay a service for this, it is free.

I get a little ring on my computer when a fax is coming. Its nice and it stores incoming and outgoing faxes for you if you need to pull up an old one. 

We use electronic faxes.  Saves a ton on paper. 

Get a fax modem, (bout 30 bucks) put it in your computer and use it like a printer.  The "Fax" option should come up when you go to print a document.  It is really easy to set up through Microsoft wizard.  You don't have to pay a service for this, it is free.

I get a little ring on my computer when a fax is coming. Its nice and it stores incoming and outgoing faxes for you if you need to pull up an old one. 

And you just use a normal printer, or does it have to be an all-in-one type?

You dont need a printer, if you dont want to print the fax out.  The only time I print out faxes is if it is a bid request I need to fill out, or a purchase or I need to review.

Its all electronic, internal.

For example:  I use QuarkXPress mostly, so I have a fax cover page template I open up, enter all the info and go to "print."

You will see in the print menu that there is a fax option.  Select fax and it guides you through who you want to send it to, and then electronically faxes it. No paper involved. The best thing is it saves all your contacts in an address book. The same address book that you use for emails - it is cross referenced.  I LOVE not looking up fax numbers. Just type a few letters of the person you are faxing to and pops up.

But it works with anything you can print. You could fax straight from Illustrator if you wanted to.

But you will need a scanner to get documents to your computer and than fax, right??  I wouldn't think there would be any other way....since they don't seem to make an all in one that can scan right from the fax machine to the computer...which is a big BUMMER.

Jenny

benr98 -

It'd be cheaper to invest in a cheap scanner/copier/printer and use an online service. I use www.trustfax.com. All incoming faxes come to my computer. And I send them out on my computer. No phone line.

This is what I use, and I love the setup. My printer/scanner/copier came free with my pc. Trustfax is like $30 a year I think.

You dont have to use a fax service though.  Why pay someone $30 per year when it can be free?

Like I said, get a fax modem for a one time cost of $25-$30 - and it dials thorugh your internet connection.  No extra lines. Done deal.

And yes, Benr98 you would need a scanner if you wanted to input something that is not electronic.  95% of what I fax is already something digital I created. Proofs and quotes and such.

I looked up "QuarkXPress", and it said it was a $800 program?!?! What is this free service you are referring to?  ;D

oh... that is simply my layout program.

It doesn't take a "program" though.  It is a Windows feature and you can use it on any program, on any computer.

Here is a brief step by step.

post-2248-12986518666609_thumb.jpg

post-2248-12986518667177_thumb.jpg

post-2248-12986518667649_thumb.jpg

post-2248-12986518668547_thumb.jpg

post-2248-12986518679352_thumb.jpg

post-2248-12986518679611_thumb.jpg

post-2248-12986518679822_thumb.jpg

post-2248-12986518680116_thumb.jpg

Okay thanks... I'll look into that. Where is the "fax console" found? Start>programs>?

After you put in a fax modem, you go under control panel and set it up through Printers/Faxes.

And I have to sincerely apologize and correct myself.  My husband installed it for me and now that I think about it, it may be hooked to a separate phone line after all.  So I guess the whole "no phone line" topic doesn't apply to this situation... but it may be able to be configured through internet without a subscription.  Im not sure.

I had efax once but at the time received alot of junk emails.  Since this fax is going to be used for my husbands work and THEY pay for the service.  I'm going with www.myfax.com.  I can receive 200 faxes a month and send 100 for $10.00.  So I've decided to try them.  I just need to find a better scanner though.  Any suggestions on that??

I have an older flat bed scanner, but the quality isn't that great.

Thanks for your input.

Jenny

Mine's a bit outdated, but I have an HP 2175 all-in-one. I bought it about 3 years ago on ebay for about $100, so I'm sure they are free by now.  ;D

LOL Firemalt, isn't that just about the truth.  I bought an Oki printer 3 years ago and now they don't even make this model anymore!!! 

I've been using myfax.com for two years now, no complaints and no junk mail or faxes from them.  You get a Toll free fax number too.

Dan

LaserPoint