TauntDevil

Time to upgrade or in other words... get a decal cutter

<p>Hello all.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have finally gotten tired of having to buy a lot of material due to having to waste a lot as well when using my current Laserpoint 2.</p>

<p>Due to it not being able to cut further than 12" from the origin correctly, I have decided to upgrade or get a proper cutter so I can buy 24" sheets and cut them out.</p>

<p>My guess is since the placement of the rollers are odd on the laserpoint 2, that would be causing my issue. I have posted about it before but no resolution was found and i doubt there will be one so.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Any recommendations for around $500?</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p>My issue is when it goes to cut the decals in the middle of the sheet, the blade cannot cut through the vinyl fully and thus basically a waste of material since it gets etched but not fully cut. Unable to weed the decals from there. New blade, different types of material, more and less pressure, slow and fast, same results so...</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks all!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Also looking for a good software to use. I use SCAL currently which is fine but it cannot do multicolored cuts. It messes up the sizes and all each time you go to cut so...</p>

You know you can move the material anywhere across the machine to work best with the rollers and change your origin point to make almost any size material work....I think you have the best option in that price range

I guess I am not understanding...it sounds like the cutting strip is going bad.

You know you can move the material anywhere across the machine to work best with the rollers and change your origin point to make almost any size material work....I think you have the best option in that price range

I can but doesnt make a difference when it doesnt do well after the next roller. Cuts great 12 in but anything further is basically useless. Better to cut by hand with a razor blade than what the machine does since it doesnt cut through.

i would check this out ... for the cost and warranty i would do it if my cutter was bad.. I use a titan 2 and love the heck out of it   .. just my opinion of course lol      http://www.uscutter.com/Refurbished-28-inch-TITAN-Vinyl-Cutter

I appreciate the recommendation. I have heard good of titan so I may just get that.

Did you ever change the cutting strip on your Laser Pointer11?   They don't cost much, vs $500.  $12.99 +shipping..

I have not changed anything on it other than the blade holder.

That link states page unfound error.

Ok  bad link,  but cutting strips are in Vinyl cutter replacement parts at UScutter.com   SC,TC, Laserpointer11

And you have contacted UScutter tech support about this problem?  If so what did they say? 

I am looking back at your old posts,,,,  Did  you ever get a stand for your vinyl cutter.?.  It just kinda made me think of a problem I had with my printer..not being level...  I had moved my desktop printer and just set it down on a different table,  I went to use it and it just keep spinning the rollers, and wouldn't grab the paper,  And I thought what the heck,?  ,   I couldn't get it to work again,  All I did was move it...,,Then I realized it wasn't level.  It looked it, but it wasn't,,,Is your whole cutter level on the table?  Or where ever you have it?  If on a stand it would be level.. Have you tried it on a flat counter top or some other real flat area?  I am just trying to find a solution for you cheaper than buying another cutter.

But it could also be the cutting strip is not level. 

Ok  bad link,  but cutting strips are in Vinyl cutter replacement parts at UScutter.com   SC,TC, Laserpointer11

And you have contacted UScutter tech support about this problem?  If so what did they say? 

I am looking back at your old posts,,,,  Did  you ever get a stand for your vinyl cutter.?.  It just kinda made me think of a problem I had with my printer..not being level...  I had moved my desktop printer and just set it down on a different table,  I went to use it and it just keep spinning the rollers, and wouldn't grab the paper,  And I thought what the heck,?  ,   I couldn't get it to work again,  All I did was move it...,,Then I realized it wasn't level.  It looked it, but it wasn't,,,Is your whole cutter level on the table?  Or where ever you have it?  If on a stand it would be level.. Have you tried it on a flat counter top or some other real flat area?  I am just trying to find a solution for you cheaper than buying another cutter.

But it could also be the cutting strip is not level. 

I have not contacted support this time yet. Last time, I am unsure what happened but I did not receive a reply.

I do have the stand but currently the cutter is not on it because the stand is hard to get too right now due to us just finally moving in. Been moving out and in and out and back in to our new place so all has been hectic with a lot of moving. When I get it out of the boxes whichever one it is in, I will put it on the stand and try again. I also ordered a new strip to just try that. I appreciate it!

I will reply once I try both to let you know how it goes

Off topic question but has anyone figured out a way to do multicolor decals without having the static issue? Everytime I try, it will pull the bottom decal that I am trying to lay onto, up to the sticker in my hand and then of course ruins the placement because it wasnt suppose too. I was wondering if there is a better way to multilayer decals? I searched but most I see just do it by hand, doesnt look like they have the folding bottom decal issue or static issue like I do? Any tips? Thought about taping the next layer down but was wondering if there was anything else?

I have not contacted support this time yet. Last time, I am unsure what happened but I did not receive a reply.

I do have the stand but currently the cutter is not on it because the stand is hard to get too right now due to us just finally moving in. Been moving out and in and out and back in to our new place so all has been hectic with a lot of moving. When I get it out of the boxes whichever one it is in, I will put it on the stand and try again. I also ordered a new strip to just try that. I appreciate it!

I will reply once I try both to let you know how it goes

Off topic question but has anyone figured out a way to do multicolor decals without having the static issue? Everytime I try, it will pull the bottom decal that I am trying to lay onto, up to the sticker in my hand and then of course ruins the placement because it wasnt suppose too. I was wondering if there is a better way to multilayer decals? I searched but most I see just do it by hand, doesnt look like they have the folding bottom decal issue or static issue like I do? Any tips? Thought about taping the next layer down but was wondering if there was anything else?

harder to ignore a phone support call . . . just an idea

• Like 1

You want to tape the bottom layer. Even using the parchment trick, if you don't have the base in a fixed location it'll make keeping things lined up a pain.

• Like 1

Search using parchment paper to layer

I saw that post. I tried that as well but had the same issue after pulling the paper out. Mainly the issue is after the registration marks are aligned and your just trying to drop it down. Thats when I have the most difficult time.

You want to tape the bottom layer. Even using the parchment trick, if you don't have the base in a fixed location it'll make keeping things lined up a pain.

I appreciate it. Ill start doing this for now one when layering. 

• Like 1

YUP. I usually tape down the lower layer diagonally across the corners or whatever makes the most sense. You can lift up the app tape later and remove any left over tape without a problem. That static cling is a PIA. Some vinyl is more prone to curl too, GS being one and 651 also can be a bit stiff and not lay down after the weed sometimes. Higher end vinyl will lay flatter but the static is still there to mess you up. 

On your cutter issue, I have always thought the LP2 a pretty good cutter for the budget end of things. I think you just have some issue that's causing you grief that can be sorted out. You wouldn't regret an upgrade though if you can swing it financially. If you are trying to do any kind of production at all the servo cutters with bigger memory are the ticket. 

• Like 1

I appreciate the suggestions. Taping down has worked really well but I am running into an issue that I had in another thread and was wondering if there is a video tutorial or something that shows how to do mutlilayer decals with the paper transfer tape. As the issue I had last time goes, the "high tack" clear transfer tape does not grab the vinyl. unless it is small stuff.

Any tips?

only thing I could think of was a light up table but I currently dont have space for one at the moment so just seeing if there are any tricks without one for now until I find one for a good price