Sign in to follow this  
busterbay

Postal Rates

The post office got a $0.56 raise on every package from 3oz to 8oz. I wonder if I can expect better service.

The post office got a $0.56 raise on every package from 3oz to 8oz.

Yes, 1 ounce to 8 ounce is now $2.60 domestic first-class package.

Also, 1 ounce first-class international package service went from $6.39 to $12.83. Pretty crazy.

Priority Mail went up too but not nearly as much as first-class.

If anything,t he rates should be going down rather than up if you consider all the money they are saving on fuel costs right now! right?  LOL

Yes, 1 ounce to 8 ounce is now $2.60 domestic first-class package.

Also, 1 ounce first-class international package service went from $6.39 to $12.83. Pretty crazy.

Priority Mail went up too but not nearly as much as first-class.

If anything,t he rates should be going down rather than up if you consider all the money they are saving on fuel costs right now! right?  LOL

Government economics at it's best

I just shipped some glassware to CA.  USPS was much cheaper than UPS...

That said, when I took the package to the P.O. it was going to be quite a bit (but still cheaper than UPS).  I repacked it in a flat rate box and shipped it for $17 & change.

Cal

If you sell a lot of 1-3oz  it is cheaper to use USPS RETAIL Online, .It is $2.54  For First Class package. or go to your Post Office

Also now 1oz-15.99oz is now First Class and Not Priority, like it used to be. after 13oz.-16oz  

The USPS did not change the retail rate of First Class Package Service, only the Commercial Base rates, resulting in a strange phenomenon where in a few cases, it's actually cheaper to bring your package to the post office. (Retail is what you get at the window of your local post office, while Commercial Base is what you get if you print postage online.)

That means you still pay $2.54 if you bring a 3-ounce package to the post office for FCPS, but you pay $2.60 if you print the postage online.

Six cents can add up if you do a high volume in low-weight packages. But thanks to another change that went into effect on Sunday, you don't actually have to visit your local post office to get the retail rate - use USPS Click N Ship to print the label online.

That's because of the Postal Service's decision to change Click N Ship rates from Commercial Base to Retail rates. So while that decision in general seems counter-intuitive, in this one case, it could benefit online sellers if they're willing to switch between Click N Ship and another service that offers Commercial Base pricing for all other shipping services.

• Like 1

Someone has to subsidize the e-packets, coming from china. Guess, that would be us? 

You got that right, I can buy a widget from China if i'm willing to wait cheaper than if I drove to the store. But if I do drive to the store and decide to sell the widget online I can't even ship it to the next town for the price I paid for it.

Example

I could get this picture frame at a dollar store for $1 but I can also get it online delivered from China for $1.07.... doesn't make sense. I agree they need to FIX the problem not penalize the masses. 

A clip from an article, on e-commercebytes...

"In October, the USPS told us, "The countries that have ePacket agreements with USPS are China, Hong Kong and Korea Post. We are unable to disclose rate information as it is commercially sensitive information of the USPS and foreign postal operators."

• Like 1

A clip from an article, on e-commercebytes...

"In October, the USPS told us, "The countries that have ePacket agreements with USPS are China, Hong Kong and Korea Post. We are unable to disclose rate information as it is commercially sensitive information of the USPS and foreign postal operators."

It's a sad when USPS helps other countries undercut your ability to deliver a product at a competitive price.  

It's a sad when USPS helps other countries undercut your ability to deliver a product at a competitive price.  

Thanks, to the Congress of the United States. Another reason Congress, needs to get out of the mail delivery business. 

• Like 1