cherise88

HTV vinyl design on front of shirt

I have been messing around with my heat press and using easyweed vinyl.... I am going to make a few shirts soon.... just wondering on what others do for measurements on putting the design on the front ?? Center it on the shirt or so many inches below neck opening or from the sleeves .... don't want anything looking dumb ! Thanks !

No rules but, I size the design & place it where it looks best.

If in doubt I print it out on paper first and step back to see if

it looks too big or small...or needs to go up or down.

Remember when making hoodies, the hood will usually

be down so move your backside graphic down a bit more

so it won't be covered by the hood.

Funny, on shirts, what the design looks like flat on the press is

a lot different than when it is actually hanging on a body....

and there's a difference from one body to another too.

Soooooo, as careful as we are in placement, things will

look different when the shirt is actually worn.

Sue2

• Like 3

I go 3" down from neck line and on ladies if varies from 2"to under the arm pit depending on design.

• Like 2

I agree with both above. There are some (several) guides out there and one is very complicated but in the end it's what looks right that counts. General rule of thumb is 3" down from the collar on a regular tee for a full front. I often have someone either put the shirt on or at least hold it up as if on so I can do a safety check on position before pressing.

Full back is usually at least an inch lower from the collar and often needs to be even lower than that if it's not full height. The back is a little more flexible too if you end up a little low it usually still looks ok whereas if you are too low on front it can look bad. Womens v necks are the most troublesome IMO. 

• Like 1

I agree with women's vnecks being troublesome, so many different cuts-slim fit, loose fit, slouchy fit! Arghhh. Quick question, on another note- I have a customer who requested design be moved down on back of her tees because she has longer hair, (not extremely long). I just have a hard time "eyeing" this, just looks off! I know it's a visual thing, but what do y'all do?

Thank you !... it all makes sense.... I am also going to measure some shirts to see how far they are from the collar .

I generally do the 3" rule as well, unless they're well endowed. Then I request an in-shop visit for proper sizing.......