VinylRevamp

black to white

Hi,

I've been killing myself trying to switch this to look good in white with a dark background but I'm having a hard time. Can someone explain the best way to do it. I've tried with Inkscape and SCAL.

I'll appreciate any help. THANKS!

jimboslice.svg

Don't know SCAL, but in inkscape, select the image, duplicate it and move it off to the side to make working with it easier. Then break apart, union all the parts, change to a color you can see on your screen (red), add a stroke(red), and slide the whole image back over to the original and send it behind the original. Now adjust the stroke size to get the desired outline. You will also need to do some node editing to make the red fill the face but that's pretty quick and easy.

post-25571-0-44360400-1452796610_thumb.p

For a one layer cutout, do what darc says above then Select both layers and Menu>Path>Difference.

The remaining piece gets cut out of light material to go over a dark substrate.

post-43059-0-64996500-1452805157_thumb.p

Draw a black box, move your SVG object over the box highlight the SVG object change the color to white. 

I get all the way up to the "DIFFERENCE". It doesn't seem to work. It says one copy is not a path

Sounds like you auto traced a raster image and did not discard the original...

do that then, select & duplicate the new vector image then follow the above instructions

from darcshadow and myself.

In SCAL, just break apart. Highlight the inner part of the box, but not the box itself. It will give you everything but the box. Then change colors of your highlighted selection. Choose yellow, or something that will stand out. Then change your box to white with a stroke color. That way you see the edge  of the box. Then you can change your image to black.

Buster, what you are describing is the example on the Left.

What I'm describing yields the results on the right.

Note the difference.

post-43059-0-32605000-1452838014_thumb.p

I didn't get the same results SCAL when I break apart the supplied svg. I tried the same thing in CorelDraw and I got the same results.

Maybe this is an Inkscape feature ?

Mind you this is not my thread, just my contribution which appears not to be helpful, but now I am intrigued. 

post-64078-0-20423900-1452855669_thumb.j

post-64078-0-16786600-1452855817_thumb.j

OK after a bit of tinkering it is possible in SCALP but I had to convert the SVG to a PNG then autotrace. I couldn't get the same results with the SVG... I must be missing something.

post-64078-0-94769000-1452860782_thumb.j

Busterbaby, your post above showing your results from the break apart is what Inkscape does as well. I simply had to edit the result on the right to complete the shape and remove the white area of the face and pizza box.

for some reason scalp wont let you change it like skarekrow image you have to make a square over the image and then change the color of the square. the inside will change to what ever color you want the shirt to be. scalp is very limited on things and that why I moved everything to adobe Illustrator and photoshop.