Sign in to follow this  
shabbychic

Advice on Printer Cutter needed

Hi!

I am wanting to print full color on vinyl including heat transfer vinyl and adhesive vinyl. I have been researching printers for a long time and am starting to overthink it all.  I have been eyeing the Roland VersaCamm sp300i but it is huge for my workspace, and the price tag is not fun either.  However, most advice I hear from the BN-20 is that it's too slow.  I would like some insight on either of those printers.

Also, I wonder do I really need it to cut as well? Basically, what I want to print is vinyl for crafters to use in their craft machine (I have attached an example).  The sizes vary from 12" x 12" or 12" x 24".  What I don't understand is say I only get a printer machine (not the Roland).  How would I tell get the other machine to "cut" this piece of vinyl I have printed?  Is that what registration marks are for and am I setting myself up for a nightmare trying to take the printed vinyl from one machine and taking it to my graphtec to cut?  Is it worth the extra money to just go all in and get the Roland sp300i?

Am I on the right track for any of this?  This is all new to me (I currently only cut vinyl for tshirts) but am ready to expand and try something different.

Thank you for any insight!

Jessica

post-97158-0-37674400-1452702852_thumb.j

The sp 300 is a great choice. Compared to 3 years ago there are a LOT of people printing vinyl for the crafter market now. A lot of them are using aftermarket inks and cheaper vinyl to keep the prices low even though quality suffers . . . People buy on price and the margins have gone way down

• Like 1

Thanks, that is what I thought.  Do you have any insight on the cutting with the SP300?  Is it necessary?  Or can I use a cheaper printer and then use my Graphtec to cut around the vinyl? Does this sound like a nightmare trying to work with if I am running from one machine to the next?  Is it worth the extra money to just get the SP300 that does everything?

Thanks again!

Jessica

there are plenty of people that print on a latex or other printer and then cut - my personal experience has been that after you lam and put the vinyl back in a cutter to do the contours nothing finds the marks as easy as a roland cutter so I choose to have a roland sp-300i that does both and do my cut vinyl on my graphtec that does fine detail better.  each machine has its strengths - that is what has worked for me for years and I just upgraded the printer again a few months ago.  if you can tolerate the higher price per sq inch and the slower speed the bn20 might fit your needs - and many like the 54inch or bigger for banners and wraps - it just doesn't happen to fit my needs for the market I target.   keep in mind there will be ongoing maint cost that is unlike your desktop printer - I have heard the latex is much more forgiving when it is not used as often and heard from a 3m rep at the last show the colors are not quite as vibrant and a little dull - along with the extra power requirements - all things need to be considered and a visit to a show or sales office will help.  before I bought my first one I drove over 4 hrs each way to another members place to see and learn about the printers.  You are making a large investment in an item with a limited lifespan (hopefully 6-10 years if regular maint is performed) - you need to recoup that investment and make enough to keep up on the maint parts and replacement machine in the future - personally I plan on at least $1,000 a year on maint.

• Like 1

Seems like if you are just printing slabs for crafters to cut then you don't need to contour at all, right? If that's your market then can't you just print on a wide format like 24" wide and cut it down and sell it as a 12" square of whatever size and they won't need any edges weeded off. Maybe I'm missing something and maybe you are looking at other uses (smart to do so). 

• Like 1

Thanks WildGoose.  Yes they are just slabs basically.  So would a wide format 24" printer be okay?  Do you have the name of a good 24" wide format printer? And what would I cut it with?  Is that where the vinyl cutter like my Graphtec comes into play? Sorry for so many questions....I just though of using a paper cutter with an arm for cutting the tiles, would that work?

I just don't want to buy too much of a machine which sometimes I think the Roland is....Thanks for your insight, I do appreciate it.

Thanks WildGoose.  Yes they are just slabs basically.  So would a wide format 24" printer be okay?  Do you have the name of a good 24" wide format printer? And what would I cut it with?  Is that where the vinyl cutter like my Graphtec comes into play? Sorry for so many questions....I just though of using a paper cutter with an arm for cutting the tiles, would that work?

I just don't want to buy too much of a machine which sometimes I think the Roland is....Thanks for your insight, I do appreciate it.

I don't have a printer so Dakota or one of the other guys who know that end better will have better info but cutting the vinyl into pieces is easy. You can just use a utility knife or an xacto or even one of those rotary fabric cutters. I cut on a green self healing mat and use several different ruler styles to get good cuts.

You DO realize this is a very sizable investment you are considering? I have several thousand in equipment but have never got the gumption up to make the leap to a printer. You might want to spend plenty of time researching before you pull the trigger or you will be another casualty along side the road on the highway to financial independence. 

Thanks again, I will wait for Dakota to chime in.  Yes, I know the investment is rather large and that is why I am hesitant. Also, the jump from around 6 - 12,000 (which the Roland sp300i is) makes me very nervous.  I can definitely swing the $6,000 but the other one I am hesitant because it is a lot of money in the long run.  I already generate quite a bit of good money selling online as it is, but I don't want my other endeavors to have to pay for a costly mistake if it turns out to be one that doesn't get off the ground.

solvent or latex - only way to go if you are selling printed vinyl to others.  not sure where you saw the solvent or latex at $6k unless there is a mutoh or prizimjet whick are basically disposable from reading from others over the years you will spend more on a unit that you can still get parts for after 18 month to 2 years - I have ordered factory parts for a roland 8 years later  -  serviceability on an investment that big is important factor too.   I have read on other forums where the mutoh prints real nice when new they they are chasing banding a year or so later and can't get parts.  but doing your own research will be a better indication on which ever you choose.

Check Sign Warehouse, for that printer. I think they have it for a lot more reasonable price

The 'crafters'. don't really need solvent printed vinyl. I sell to some with an aqueous(pigment) printer.

Same thing I heard on slow. I have some crafters that have bought for years and comment on the durability of the solvent . . . I like to have them come back for years not one and done