3barefoot

Ticking me off. Cutter Stops

Ok I know most of "or at least some" are going to push the Keyspan here. I that's not what I want to hear. I have had this cutter for over 2 years and have NEVER used one. I bought one last year and it didn't fix my problem. So here it is. Saturday I cut a wall saying that was 2' by 2' and it finished the job just fine. Monday I went to cut some HTV in the size of about 1' by 1' and the dang cutter would stop. Now I have NOT moved my cutter nor my computer. 

I have the SC Plotter on a stand. Last time I had this problem lots of people pushed the Keyspan. Now like I have said it has worked fine with the USB. Does anyone know that if I replace the USB plug on the cutter "cause it does have some play" if they think that would work? Also where would the best place be to order the part. I have bought a new cable last winter when I wasted the money on the Keyspan.

Thanks

Are you sure you're not experiencing static glitch? Do you have any anti-static spray? If so spray dow the area behind and around your cutter. My P-Cut used to just stop and I thought it was a memory or connection issue and it turned out to be static. Once I figured that out life was simpler. 

I have an SC and this time of year static is not your friend.  Make sure you have the anti static jumper wire installed from the stand to the machine. 

You really won't like my answer.. It's been over 2 years on that cutter,, with problems,, I don't know if you run a business or just a hobby,  but if this is a business,  you should really consider, getting away from the value cutters and jump up to a better servo model...You won't see the frustration you have now.. Value cutters are good to get you going,  but in the long run, a professional cutter is what you need.  There are not any static problems with the higher end cutters. And the USB is a true USB,  not a cheap Chinese chip. .If a business, you should save money back from every job you do..A higher end model will give you a whole lot less waste, and more production.   I started with a value cutter also, but in 14 months I jumped up to a FC model Graphtec paid $3000 for it back then, a brand new one,.. It increased my jobs and production and I had it paid off in 5-6 weeks. 8 years later still using it every day.

Not saying you have to go whole hog like I did,, but the Graphtec CE models and the Titans with the servo motors, would be miles ahead of the SC.

• Like 3

AMen to what Skeeter said! Even if you just mess around the servo cutters are SOOOOOO much nicer it's hard to believe. I originally kept my old P-Cut thinking I would keep it in the garage as a back up but after a few weeks with the Summa I decided if the Summa goes on the fritz I'll just have to wait, I ain't cutting with the P-Cut any more! Ha ha ha!

• Like 2

Winter is here and static is a problem.  Even if it hasn't been a problem in the past for you, it could be the problem this year.

I'd start wtih eliminating the static and I'd bet the problem goes away.  If not, give USCutter a call and they can work with you to figure it out.  Phone support on our cutters is always there.

• Like 1

You really won't like my answer.. It's been over 2 years on that cutter,, with problems,, I don't know if you run a business or just a hobby,  but if this is a business,  you should really consider, getting away from the value cutters and jump up to a better servo model...You won't see the frustration you have now.. Value cutters are good to get you going,  but in the long run, a professional cutter is what you need.  There are not any static problems with the higher end cutters. And the USB is a true USB,  not a cheap Chinese chip. .If a business, you should save money back from every job you do..A higher end model will give you a whole lot less waste, and more production.   I started with a value cutter also, but in 14 months I jumped up to a FC model Graphtec paid $3000 for it back then, a brand new one,.. It increased my jobs and production and I had it paid off in 5-6 weeks. 8 years later still using it every day.

Not saying you have to go whole hog like I did,, but the Graphtec CE models and the Titans with the servo motors, would be miles ahead of the SC.

It's more of a hobby than a business. We have a car garage and I have my cutter and stuff here just to have something to pass the time during the day when the phone is not ringing. I make smaller decals and now doing some HTV shirts, but nothing that's going to make me rich. $10 here $40 there type of stuff. But thanks for your input. I will keep it in mind if I start to see business picking up or if this cutter keeps going like it is. 

If you think the USB connector on the cutter is going bad, and you already have a Keyspan, why not just use it rather than go through the hassle of trying to replace the usb connector?

If you think the USB connector on the cutter is going bad, and you already have a Keyspan, why not just use it rather than go through the hassle of trying to replace the usb connector?

Cause the Keyspan didn't work.

Cause the Keyspan didn't work.

I have only seen a Tripplite Keyspan not work 1 time   ( posted below),  Usually it won't work,  if they used the wrong cable to the cutter.from the Keyspan, or wrong com port.not matching...or driver is not installed.  And you had UScutter  or Tripplite  (I would think Tripplite could) tech supports remote your computer for you?   Uscutter can remote your computer.

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/50155-keyspan-and-windows-81/?hl=monkey#entry405398

• Like 1

i have had the Sc model for a couple years now. Mine is not on a stand and sits on a wooden desk. Not long ago my cutter was not recognized by my laptop. After some looking i found that the usb connector on the machine had went bad and had to order a new one from uscutter in which i had to wait two weeks for them to get them in. The only time my cutter has stopped in a middle of a job was when my screen saver popped up on me. Now also keep in mind that the memory on that machine is low and that is why i turn mine off and back on after a couple of cuts..

• Like 1

On my titan2 at work I had to replace the USB port. Plugging and unplugging the cord caused it to come loose. USCutter sent me a replacement fairly quickly. If the part is cheap, I would try replacing it. if you have to buy a new cutter, invest in a good machine. It is worth it.

• Like 1

On my titan2 at work I had to replace the USB port. Plugging and unplugging the cord caused it to come loose. USCutter sent me a replacement fairly quickly. If the part is cheap, I would try replacing it. if you have to buy a new cutter, invest in a good machine. It is worth it.

Sal this looks like your avatar  ??  LOL

Kid-shocked.gif

• Like 1

i have had the Sc model for a couple years now. Mine is not on a stand and sits on a wooden desk. Not long ago my cutter was not recognized by my laptop. After some looking i found that the usb connector on the machine had went bad and had to order a new one from uscutter in which i had to wait two weeks for them to get them in. The only time my cutter has stopped in a middle of a job was when my screen saver popped up on me. Now also keep in mind that the memory on that machine is low and that is why i turn mine off and back on after a couple of cuts..

Yes I think that is what I'm going to do. Been's I have had this cutter for over 2 years and only had a problem 1 other time and a new  cable seemed to fix it that time. I'm going to replace my USB connector on the cutter.

I'm checking into the part today. I seem to think that will fix my problem been's there seems to be play in the plug on my cutter.

• Like 1

Mine dpea this alot when I am cutting large projects. ... I find it helpful not to leave open 5 or 7 other projects open... I do this alot for some odd reason... also if my HD is getting close to full.... but my USB port has alot of play in it so sometimes I think with it cutting large projects, it vibrates alot and loses connection. ... sure bites when it happens !!

• Like 1

Mine dpea this alot when I am cutting large projects. ... I find it helpful not to leave open 5 or 7 other projects open... I do this alot for some odd reason... also if my HD is getting close to full.... but my USB port has alot of play in it so sometimes I think with it cutting large projects, it vibrates alot and loses connection. ... sure bites when it happens !!

Yes it sure does bite when it happens. I had it happen trying to cut HTV for some shirts and I had to buy more HTV cause it messed up what I had left.