JLS Design

Help / Suggestions Needed

So I had a "friend" help me with vectorizing a car image for me.  It cost me $50 to get him to do this, however he's not responding to any of my attempts of contacting him.  This is a memorial sticker for a friend of the family who had passed away last year after his battle with cancer was lost.  Now, the image itself is not bad if I wanted to put it on a T-shirt, however cutting this on my vinyl cutter I have had 0 luck creating a decent cut out.  It almost seems as if their is "too" much detail.  So I'm turning to the more seasonable people here for suggestions or help.  What can I do to modify this image, or is it a lost cause?  I really want to get this wrapped up for his wife, as she's already been through the ringer on this with two other "professional" sticker people in our area.  I just want to make it right for her.  

Camaro Final.pdf

Thank you all for the help.  When I'm not at my primary job I will review all the files attached, and reply to all the messages sent to me.

Ya'll are great.

Josh

There is way too much detail in there for a cut. Looks like an auto trace (pardon the pun) with probably some clean up after but there are still too many thin lines and severe tapers. If he knew you were trying to cut this and charged you $50 (for what you got) then he's either not your friend of he has no knowledge of what you really need. Sorry, that's probably not what you want to hear. Just my opinion. You are possibly better off posting the original pic to get a more cut-friendly result rather than taking that pdf and trying to decide what to lose and what to keep. Cars done right can be a lot of work. 

• Like 3

There is way too much detail in there for a cut. Looks like an auto trace (pardon the pun) with probably some clean up after but there are still too many thin lines and severe tapers. If he knew you were trying to cut this and charged you $50 (for what you got) then he's either not your friend of he has no knowledge of what you really need. Sorry, that's probably not what you want to hear. Just my opinion. You are possibly better off posting the original pic to get a more cut-friendly result rather than taking that pdf and trying to decide what to lose and what to keep. Cars done right can be a lot of work. 

That's what I told him after I seen the image.  I Explained to him what I needed it for, and he was all like "no problem".  I'll post the original image here shortly.

Thanks for your input, as I was coming up with the same conclusion.  

• Like 1

Here is the raw image I started with.  It's his car during a burn out at the track.  I really was looking for more of a silhouette image.  Only thing I really wanted to keep in the image was his number on the windshield.  Has a TON of meaning to his family and friends.

post-96118-0-35032800-1452740145_thumb.j

• Like 2

Pretty fast camaro. IF I get a chance I'll play around with it for you. Been swamped for about the last two months. 

• Like 1

Here is a cleaned up version. There are still many options that could be removed or added but I tried to keep it something that you can cut. The numbers on the window were hard to know the best way to deal with and the grill I just completely simplified so you may find you want to make a few changes but this should be closer for a cut file. I stuck a very rough shadow in there but didn't make it part of the car and there is no smoke. 

Camaro Clean.svg

• Like 2

Here is a cleaned up version. There are still many options that could be removed or added but I tried to keep it something that you can cut. The numbers on the window were hard to know the best way to deal with and the grill I just completely simplified so you may find you want to make a few changes but this should be closer for a cut file. I stuck a very rough shadow in there but didn't make it part of the car and there is no smoke. 

Somehow i need to learn how to do that Goose.Ive tried looking it up but with no good results..Have any pointers or videos to help US no brainers lol.Heck i would offer a few bucks to you for a tutorial video or etc on this and how to do pics of people as well.

• Like 1

On that one I actually picked apart the previous guys work and used what fit good and tossed the rest so it was more a matter of releasing some compound paths and picking through things. After deciding what was working then I had to re-build the wheels and tires and weld everything together. A lot of this kind of thing like a car is all about keeping the overall look without the detail. I was torn about even leaving the skinny line down the front fender but decided the OP can delete it if its too fine to cut but being an inside line that will be weeded out it should work. I have a couple videos I made for a friend but they were specifically for CS2 so some of the functions are a little different. I think they are to big to email or upload to youtube. 

• Like 1

Holy cow man!  That's what I was looking for!  Awesome, thank you so much for your help!!  Please let me know what I owe you for this, as you can't even begin to understand how helpful this is.  

Somehow i need to learn how to do that Goose.Ive tried looking it up but with no good results..Have any pointers or videos to help US no brainers lol.Heck i would offer a few bucks to you for a tutorial video or etc on this and how to do pics of people as well.

On that one I actually picked apart the previous guys work and used what fit good and tossed the rest so it was more a matter of releasing some compound paths and picking through things. After deciding what was working then I had to re-build the wheels and tires and weld everything together. A lot of this kind of thing like a car is all about keeping the overall look without the detail. I was torn about even leaving the skinny line down the front fender but decided the OP can delete it if its too fine to cut but being an inside line that will be weeded out it should work. I have a couple videos I made for a friend but they were specifically for CS2 so some of the functions are a little different. I think they are to big to email or upload to youtube. 

Man you have a real talent my friend.  Having to work 2 jobs right now I don't get a lot of time to sure YouTube for helpful videos.  I need to brush up on my Inkscape a little as well, so I'll be hitting up YouTube for that. On top of this memorial decal I'm laying out for her, I did this as well.  It's just a little something for the family.  It's going to be the size of a football or baseball card.  The back will have a some personal information on it, that the friends and family will be able to read.   

post-96118-0-87153200-1452998178_thumb.j

• Like 2

I don't mind helping out. I'm a chevy fan so lucky for you it wasn't a mustang. LOL!

• Like 1