Sign in to follow this  
notsofast

Worth s hoot?

Hard to tell from the pics if it has a good center point pressure. You want to be sure whatever clam you go with has some ability to adjust a little at the center point for different thicknesses of garments. The solid ones work fine on tee shirts but press uneven on thicker garments like hoodies. I have no experience with Gecko to know if they are anything exceptional or not. The price is considerably more than a lot of the clams on USCutter. Hard to say of that price is indicative of better build or not. 

They are just a rebranded chinese press. I had a swingaway for a couple years and it was closer to $300 as I recall

I still have an older version of this press sitting in the garage as a back-up:

http://www.uscutter.com/15-x-15-Digital-Swing-arm-Heat-Press

It's still definitely a budget press but they heat fairly even and I got several years of heavy use before finally upgrading to the Fusion. Notice the springs that let the upper platen adjust to slight uneven surfaces and the swing out lets you align things without having the heat right over your hands. I was really glad I went that way after owning it. I later had an old Hix clam I took in on a barter and never liked the platen over my work. 

on the clams the over the center of the platen pressure adjustment and not the rear pressure adjustment like that has been preferred - but like everyone else no experience with the gecko - like said above when you  can get one about the same price from usc with over the center pressure adjustment and the support they offer I would consider that in my pros and cons list

• Like 1

I used a a press from the a 16x24 and it was a pretty good press heated up fast but it would blow a fuse and i had to rig it up to keep it working. Now I have a fusion and its somewhere in the garage collecting dust.its a good starter press. I brought it used on craiglist for $150 the guy said dont buy a expensive heat press and this is your first time making a tshirt you might not like the weeding process and quit.I made my money back 1st order.

• Like 1